PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind

Riku
04-05-2005, 11:38 PM
I have to come to find that my $4.99 investment in this game has turned out to be the best decision of my short life.

Its the best game i have ever player. Seriously. I know some one else out there has played this game, anyone got any helpful tips/know a good type of character to have?

I am currently a redgaurd/warrior(custom class).

Pablo
04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Eh, I played it and immediately regretted buying it. The first-person perspective alone has never been a huge lure for me, and I just can't seem to get into it. I keep running around the very first town attacking people and then turning the game off and not playing it for months.

DarkDragon
04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
The problem with Morrowind is that it's so totally bugridden. Even if you're lucky and it doesn't crash to the desktop every 45 minutes, there are many quest scripting bugs that you'll need to use console commands to fix. Plus the endless travel through swarms of those cliff pterodactyl things gets very repetitive very quickly.

Riku
04-06-2005, 12:07 AM
I have it for xbox because my computer isnt very good, and although i've heard it is supposed to freeze alot and other things should go wrong, ive never had any problems, sometimes after playing for 5-6 hours.

Saffith
04-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Hm... I've never once had it crash, and the only serious quest bug I ever encountered was patched. Maybe I'm just lucky.

If you're new at it, the best advice I have is to try all sorts of different things and see what works best for you. The best character I ever had was, rather unexpectedly, a high elf enchanter/knight/thief. Stole soul gems and made magical heavy wepons and armor. Worked quite nicely.

Also, being new to it, you may not have seen that they're working on the fourth game in the series, Oblivion, which looks freaking amazing (http://pc.ign.com/objects/702/702491.html?fromint=1).

Rainman
04-06-2005, 02:05 AM
I love Morrowind. It is used to be my favorite game before Half-life 2. Oblivion looks like it might grab that spot though.

Lutraphobiac
04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Hm... I've never once had it crash, and the only serious quest bug I ever encountered was patched. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Ditto, The only real problem I have had with the game is choppiness due to the high end graphics. I heard that for oblivion they are goind to try to make the game more scalable.

I loved morrowind. So much so that I think I have pretty much completed the "uncompleteable" game. I maxed out my characters level, filled the map up, collected every armor set, became leader of every possible guild, and beat the game and all of the expansions. Only then did I start to lose interest. Needless to say I am excited for oblivion. :)

Brasel
04-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Morrowind was the bane of my college life. I lived for that game. That being said, I loved it, and still love it. I started playing over from the beginning because my I hadn't played in over a year due to being at basic and training for the army. I forgot where I was and what I had to do. My character's level was in the high sixties. Now I play as pretty much the same thing, a warrior class with some destruction, alteration, and healing abilities, but a nord this time. I was a dark elf.

The best way to figure out a good class is to play through the first couple of side quests with different combos to decide on what you like. I played through with about five different combos before settling on my final decision.

Rainman
04-06-2005, 02:18 PM
I've played many classes. I always try a magic character, but inevitably I'm always more comfortable with combat characters. I like the hack and slash stuff. Thief class was fun for a while though.

Also, remember how the leveling works. You have to train your abilities to level (10 major abilities levels = one level) You major abilities level you the fastest, but your minor abilities work as well. Remember that you train abilities faster when they are under your specific type (combat, magic, stealth) I've made some characters before that leveled up very slowly and I ended up abandoning the character.

Paradox
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I played Morrowind until my hard drive broke and I lost my saved game. I was a custom Redguard.

DarkFlameWolf
04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm a level 20 Argonion Combat Battle Mage Adventurer. (custom class) I'm going strong in the Fighter's Guild, Thieves Guild, House Redoran, Blades and Morag Tong (although the other guilds don't know of my affiliation with this last one!). ;) As for the game itself, I play it sometimes, it is quite an expansive game, huge and overwhelming. Only die-hard dungeon and dragon fans who thrive on role-playing may truly appreciate this game.

Rainman
04-06-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm going strong in the Fighter's Guild, Thieves Guild, House Redoran, Blades and Morag Tong

You've got some conflicting guilds there. I know that the Morag Tong and Thieve Guild are heavily against each other. One of the later missions in the morag tong is to kill all the leaders of the thieves guild. I'm pretty sure that there is an affiliation between the fighter's guild and morag tong as well. You can still do them, but you'll have to be careful.

Starkist
04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
It is possible to become leader of the Morag Tong, Thieves Guild, and Fighters Guild, if you are careful and do the missions in a certain order.

ShadowTiger
04-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Ditto, The only real problem I have had with the game is choppiness due to the high end graphics. I heard that for oblivion they are goind to try to make the game more scalable.

I loved morrowind. So much so that I think I have pretty much completed the "uncompleteable" game. I maxed out my characters level, filled the map up, collected every armor set, became leader of every possible guild, and beat the game and all of the expansions. Only then did I start to lose interest. Needless to say I am excited for oblivion. :)... ... Er ... ... Coleman's pretty much said everything I wanted to say. http://www.geocities.com/polygonx8/icon_biggrin2.gif I REALLY enjoyed the game. Even my father started playing it, and finished all the non-expansion stuff too. Damn good game.

And once more, ... Oblivion will be my bitch shortly.

DarkFlameWolf
04-07-2005, 12:38 PM
yes, the Thieves guild was completed first before the fighter's or the morag tong. Furthermore, I'm still figuring out how some people can be the head of all three great houses. Some people say it can be done, but we'll see....

Darth Marsden
04-09-2005, 09:58 AM
The sheer fact that you probably can be head of all three rather then being forced into just one is yet another example of how great Morrowind is. Throw in all the custom things you can throw in, as well as the fact the even compared to modern games it looks GOOD, and you've got one of my top 10 games. Highly looking forward to the sequel, even if my PC won't be able to run it..!