PDA

View Full Version : Major Scam: Password phishing

Nightmare
04-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Apparently, two of the Zelda Classic community's former members, MottZilla, and Glenn the Great, are going around in a new scam. They are saying that passwords are compromised and are making people change their passwords. I checked all my info and it's a complete lie.

Do not listen to them and brand them until they learn that doing these type of things to people isn't right.

-James

ShadowTiger
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
.. So This (http://www.armageddongames.net/announcement.php?f=26) is fake?

And wait a minute. How is making people change their passwords a scam? How can they collect them? :odd: (Don't answer that, of course. :p )

CJC
04-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't think FCF would have said something if it wasn't the real deal. Anyways, the password thing is really to protect online forum users rather than the quest itself. Since the password is stored in the quest file, a hacker could dig it out and use it to log into someone's profile. So the best thing, as these people were saying, would be to pick one of the two passwords and change it, so as to prevent such an occurance.

It's not to much of a hassle. If changing the forum password is too strenuous, just go into ZQuest and change your quest's password.

Beldaran
04-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Apparently, two of the Zelda Classic community's former members, MottZilla, and Glenn the Great, are going around in a new scam. They are saying that passwords are compromised and are making people change their passwords. I checked all my info and it's a complete lie.

Do not listen to them and brand them until they learn that doing these type of things to people isn't right.

-James

First of all, as pointed out, it's not fake.

But second, how are they supposedly getting people's passwords by asking them to change passwords to have better security? If I ask someone to change their bank PIN number, am I somehow going to divine their PIN out of thin air just because they changed it?

*b*
04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
And wait a minute. How is making people change their passwords a scam? How can they collect them? :odd: (Don't answer that, of course. :p )
they probably think that in their desperation to change their pass, they'll tell their current/new password to them, so they can get in

I wonder... a few days ago, I was in an AIM chatroom, and GTG was there, claiming that he and his friends had some diabolical plot to destroy AGN. it makes one wonder if this is part of his scheme

Nightmare
04-04-2005, 11:26 PM
All I know they're using some program developed by McCrackin on initialized, according to GTG.....

I know that this exists, be wary. I've already changed mine.

-James

Orion
04-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Don't they have anything better to devote their life to?

MottZilla
04-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Hey asshole, don't fucking drag me into your high school drama bullshit. I'm not interested in fucking with shit like this. You wanna know something that you should have already known? I can get ANY quest password I want. You wanna know something else? I've never given out anyone passwords. Another thing, Phantom Menace trusted me with such things, so I really don't think anyone gives a fuck what you think or say.

You wanna know why Nightmare is pointing fingers at me for whatever reason? Because Glenn had told me through AIM that someone had gotten access to Nightmare's passwords to access his forum and paypal account. Now since I thought Nightmare was some kind of friend, I simply sent him a message letting him know of what I heard, advising him that he may wish to change his passwords.

I get a simple "Fuck you Mott" in response after alittle while. So guess what, fuck you too. Leave me alone. I'm sure people like Dark Nation, Fatcatfan, WarLord, Belderan, and other good members know better than to listen to your bullshit about me.

Ganonator
04-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Topic Closed. This will be dealt with through the staff.

As of now, FCF's announcement will be regarded as fact. If you have a problem, contact an administrator.

fatcatfan
04-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Just for clarification, I know for a fact that passwords can be obtained without a private developers' debug build of ZC or knowing how quests are encrypted, because I was doing it before I became part of the development team. One of the things I did, actually before coming on officially, was suggest to DN a few ways to make the passwords more difficult to obtain, but they are still far from secure. Whether or not Glenn and company are really doing this I cannot say for certain, but this came up in forum staff recently and so I thought I should post a warning to everyone.