PDA

View Full Version : DOS Game Runs Slow on my 2.4Ghz PC?!

J.J. Maxx
04-03-2005, 04:52 PM
How gay.

So I'm trying to run this game (http://www.abandonia.com/games/337/download/Humans/Humans.htm) on my computer, just for old times sake. It was released in 1993 and is a DOS game. It runs so slow on my computer.

I right-clicked on the .exe file and changed every property to what I should. Gah. Stupid game.

AtmaWeapon
04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
The site you linked to has an interesting troubleshooting forum (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showforum=2). In the pinned topic about Dosbox, I saw a list of suggested settings if a game was running too slowly. It may not work, but it's worth a shot.

Things like that are why I hope the PII box I have never breaks.

Lutraphobiac
04-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Hmm.. I have a 2 GHz PC and mine runs fine when running under "DOS" simulation. A 2.4 GHz machine should make the game too fast. Maybe it is overcompensating? It could also be the game. Try a different one, and if that one works ok....

AlexMax
04-04-2005, 12:48 AM
DOSBox should get you fixed up.

ZeldaFan001
04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
For any user who knows what they are doing, I highly recommend you do a dual-boot of Windows 98 and Windows XP. It really helps to get those old games running. Of course, if you are as crazy as I am, you will triple-boot to DOS, Windows 98, and Windows XP so you get the rare few that have trouble running in Windows 98 for that.

I just hope you have the DOS sound drivers that I do. :tongue:

EDIT: BTW, I forgot to mention, thanks to the site with that. I also like to try any new game I get my hands on that's played in DOS. :)

ShadowTiger
04-04-2005, 09:54 AM
DosBox is a pretty good creation. Several abandonware sites I've encountered have recommended it highly. Though, it still runs all the games I play fairly oddly. Ultima Underworld II, (A MUST play.) can't even get past the "create a character" screen when I play it. :odd:

Humans, huh. I should look into that myself.

ZeldaFan001
04-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I find DosBox to be somewhat annoying, as the games I like to play (Xargon) work and then after the first level, the game doesn't respond to anything other than the arrow keys. That's why I usually just run it in the operating system it was meant to be played.

Maybe I will eventually get it working when I figure out how.

J.J. Maxx
04-04-2005, 12:25 PM
UPDATE: Well after installing D-Fend and DosBox, and disbaling the EMS Memory, I got it to work and run smoothly. Everything is perfect. The cool thing is that Dosbox recognizes my USB gamepad. The game only has three functions, movement, fire and action toggle.

I can move and fire using my gamepad, but I still have to press spacebar to action toggle. If I could somehow get the toggle to work through one of the shoulder buttons, things would be perfect.