PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones, and customizations.

punkonjunk1024
04-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Well, I recently got a cell phone, and I'm curious about customizations. I know there are many sites you can purchase ringtones, and wallpapers from, and I have purchased one of both. But... I was curious, if you can simply have something of the sorts sent to your phone... does anything exist that would allow you to send your own bitmaps, or jpegs to your phone? or MIDI's, wavs, mp3s, ect? If anyone does know of anything of the sort, that would be awesome.

Carcer
04-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Coming from Britain, with what could be the highest concentration of Mobiles in the world... maybe, I would say that, if you have bluetooth, then you can send picturesto others phones and to a computer if it is Bluethooth enables. Otherwise, you can hook the phone up. If your phone has infra red then you can send picture by that, too.
Pictures on Sony Ericsson phones are JPEG, I think, so I would assume others are, ebing thats it is quite versatile. BMP, no way. Far too big for a phone.
You can send via long distance in a text message, if your phone has been enabled for picture sending on your network.
As far as I know, most ringtones are WAV, but don't hold me to it. You can send them, too, by text, or close range (aka in a building of large size) via Bluetooth.

... And all of that comes naturally out of the mouth of anyone over here. So sad, how people can become so obsessed by small metal and plastic lumps of electrofied lithium battery whatsits. Yes, I'm one of them.

Gerudo
04-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Oh man...

Do NOT purchase any ringtones or wallpapers. They are obscenely easy to make. Ringtones are midi files (good luck finding any 'midi' files on google).

My phone has wap capabilities, so I just upload a file, navigate to it, and download.

punkonjunk1024
04-02-2005, 07:04 PM
wap?
I have wireless net access, but nothing actually works, I fear that I might have to use specific sites, which makes it prettymuch useless. I didn't purchase a ringtone, but a real tone... a chunk of a deftones song.
But yeah, thats nice, but can you give me information on where I can do these things? where to upload so I can download on my phone, ect?
its a kyocera se44 (slider)
my service is US cingular... I think. But yeah.

DsS Game
04-02-2005, 07:25 PM
what kind of phone do you have? From what I know, there are special features that allow you to download from your comp. to your phone.

goKi
04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
In order to get WAP/GPRS to work, you need to have your service provider send you files to your phone in most cases. I don't even bother with that. For most phones, you can pick up a cheap Infra-Red (IR-DA) device or a USB/Serial data cable to upload to the phone.