PDA

View Full Version : Google Gulp

Starkist
04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Google, which started as a mere search engine and has developed many more web technologies and applications, has done it again. Just a day after expanding their Gmail service to 2 Gigabytes of storage, they are jumping into a whole new world. Behold, Google's contribution to the supermarket! http://www.google.com/googlegulp/ They say it is actually designed to take advantage of your DNA. Isn't technology amazing?

nioro
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Absolutely! Now just to find someone with a gulp cap and mug 'em!

Raichu86
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
I'd completely forgotten to check on what Google was doing this April. :p

A "beta" drink!? Google gets more abominable for its betas all the time!

bigjoe
04-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Dude, if I had that, I could finally beat the AI of "Learning to Add", the great educational plugin for the V-Tech Idiotron!!!

Lutraphobiac
04-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Haha, I think I would actually get it. I am a whore to Google technologies, and by this I mean that I actually have sex with them.

carrot red
04-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Beta Carroty is mine! And I could sue them for copyright.

theplustwo
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
No personally identifiable information of any kind related to your consumption of Google Gulp or any other current or future Google Foods product will ever be given, sold, bartered, auctioned off, tossed into a late-night poker pot, or otherwise transferred in any way to any untrustworthy third party, ever, we swear.We swears on... the precious!

Rainman
04-01-2005, 09:01 PM
We swears on... the precious!

The Google is treacherous.. but I'll hold you to your word.

Shadowblazer
04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Priceless! :D

2. Wait – you're saying Auto-Drink™ changes my brain chemistry?

Um, yeah – but for the better.

Archibaldo
04-01-2005, 10:37 PM
No fucking way! Thats awesome!

Glitch
04-01-2005, 10:52 PM
No fucking way! Thats awesome!

Look at today's date....

AtmaWeapon
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
They are mocking us with that privacy policy reference. Google scares me because over the past few years they've gained an astonishing capability to collect information and what they do with this information is not governed by anyone. No one knows how long they keep their data; no one knows what data they keep. You have to have government security clearance to work in many of their departments. I think Google hides something, personally. (Now everyone will think I'm a wacky conspiracy theorist; I may as well throw stuff about the Freemasons and Illuminati for fun.)

Google Gulp looks kind of like a prod at those who question Google's motives to me.

I was actually pretty amused by the RFC that was released today:
RFC 4041: Requirements for Morality Sections in Routing Area Drafts (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4041.txt)

1.1. Conventions Used in This Document

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].

The key words "SHALT", "SHALT NOT", "SMITE", and "PILLAR OF SALT" in
this document are to be interpreted as expected.
- Care and concern for avian carriers. A duck may be somebody's
mother.

The RFCs, for those who aren't familiar with nerd topics, are a set of technical documents. Every internet protocol has an RFC document that describes in excruciatingly technical detail how any system that claims to implement the protocol should work. If your k-rad IRC server does not follow the protocols in RFC 2813 (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2813.txt), it is not an IRC server.

I was informed today by the network admin that there is at least one special RFC released every year on April Fools' Day as a joke. My personal favorite is 1996's RFC 1925: The Twelve Networking Truths (ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1925.txt) My personal favorite snippet is:
(3) With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is
not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they
are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them
as they fly overhead.

Steezy20
04-02-2005, 09:40 AM
This wasn't released on April 1st was it? I certainly hope it was!