PDA

View Full Version : I got touched and it hurt (oh my)

Alucard15
03-31-2005, 07:20 PM
I love the Zelda games but I will always think that one of the things the original Zelda done was pretty stupid and I am talking about the thing where if they touch you it hurts like a bitch especially the guys with the shields that you can only hit on the side or behind them. Now I do not care if anyone says anything about this thread that is like (you are a dipshit) or anything like that I just want to say I know that the enemies cannot whip out a sword and stab you. But I mean come on if I poke you in the arm is it going to hurt. I would not think so.

Beldaran
03-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Yeah I'm really disappointed with how unrealistic Zelda is. :odd:

dude, you use a wooden sword to cause magic monsters to explode. What kind of realism do you expect?

Orion
03-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Uh... take it to Nintendo, not the ZC developers. All ZC does is recreate Zelda.

...either way, if you're gunna be that damn picky about videogames, you really shouldn't even be playing them.

Shoelace
04-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah I agree with Orion, the great thing about video games is that they don't have to make sense.

{DSG}DarkRaven
04-01-2005, 01:54 AM
I think the point he's trying to make is that the act of physically touching a Moblin shouldn't necessarily be painful. I mean, it's not like the little guys are all wearing Caustic Cotton shirts, are they?

When I was younger, I always wondered this. I played Megaman a lot, and it even bothered me for a while. Why does it hurt to just touch the bosses? Shouldn't they be getting hurt too, if I bump into them?

The long and short of it is that it's a way of balancing the game. If Link (or any player character) were on equal terms of engagement, it would be remarkably easy to just run through most games. Bear in mind that it's also a lot easier to have the player take damage by touching an enemy, rather than having to include all sorts of extra animation frames for moblins punching, dragons biting, octoroks... sucking... you get the idea.

All enemies have a weakness, and likewise, so do all player characters. Without such a weakness, the game would have an entirely different feel. Certainly this could prove interesting, and it might make for a curious addition to ZC if there was a screen or global flag to make the player take no damage from monsters via touch. With a functional enemy editor, this could be a very interesting feature, I think.

Steezy20
04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
What's the point in all video games being realistic?
If they are fiction and fantasy based, anything is possible and thus offers everyone an out-of-this-world experience which can not be matched in reality.

Shadowblazer
04-01-2005, 09:38 AM
I always assumed that the game was simply not advanced enough to show that the Moblins or Darknuts or whatever were doing something to cause me harm when I got hurt by touching them. Maybe when you get up close, Darknuts use that big sword that they're carrying, or Moblins punch you in the face, or Octoroks whip you with their little tentacles. The NES just didn't have enough processing power to show an animation for it ;)

ShadowTiger
04-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Heh heh. That makes sense. ;) Thus, ZC has so much more potential. Perhaps sometime in the future, all the enemies may become unwalkable, and perhaps even push you a little if they walk into you. They'll all have attacking animations. Oh, man, what an innovation that would be.

* Offers a sacrifice to the Gods of Zelda Classic *

Carcer
04-01-2005, 02:01 PM
The first game that I can remember that didn't hurt you by wlking into you was FF:CC... I think. There may be others further back then that, but this one springs to mind. I've always had it down as that the enemies had little spikes.

But mainly I think it derives from the old arcade games... Pacman, for example. The whole point was to get away from the ghosts. So that's what I think.

One thing that you could do then,BH4, In a future version, you could have larger sprites so that you could see the detail of attacking and pushing. Only problem with that is, that it has never happened from Nintendo, so it might seem a bit odd.

Cloral
04-01-2005, 04:09 PM
There were games where touching didn't hurt long before that. Like OoT, most of the enemies didn't hurt you by touching, they had to do some sort of attack animation (although there were some examples like those ice things). But think of Street Fighter - you can push against your opponent and it does nothing until someone throws a punch.

Legend789
04-01-2005, 04:23 PM
This can all be explained very easily. But let's just put it in game terms, since{DSG}DarkRaven already explained the techniquecal reason.

Well, they're obviously magical monsters, as posted before. Their aura is obviously full of evil energy, which pushes you back, if you get too close to the core, which is the monsters' Hara. They don't have to be magical in order to do this.

About the sword beam: Have you ever watched Yu Yu Hakasho? Well Kuabara can use a Spirit Sword, maybe Link can as long as he isn't injured, and when he is, he loses consentration.

The only things that I can't explain are: why doesn't anyone notice these monsters; why do people live in caves; and why does Hyrule change every time that a new game comes out. (Well, at least for the first 4 games, I know it does.)

Cool Mike
04-01-2005, 08:34 PM
:odd:

Well of course...What if it didn't hurt? You would be able to walk right through him or just stand right on him and keep shoting him(in MM)So that's why.