PDA

View Full Version : Random Internet Latency Spikes

Kamaria
03-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'm using Comcast High Speed Internet. When it works right, the speed is fine and everything. However, at seemingly random intervals, the speed will drop off completely and I'll start getting timeouts on web-pages and instant messengers. :mad:

Then it will work fine for a while, and the whole cycle repeats. Why is this happening? I make sure that no file-sharing programs are open or anything like that, so I don't think any programs are sucking up bandwidth. Can somebody please help me out?

Coder GT
03-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Did you call up tech support about the issue? Engineers could be working on the line right now, my friends have been complaining about the same problem with Comcast.

You could have a virus, check to see if that's the problem. Or just spyware can really slow down your internet connection. You can run a program like Spybot: Search & Destroy + AdAware. Also, go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall any programs that don't look familiar to you...something like "180 Search Assistant"

Masamune
03-30-2005, 06:21 PM
You using a router or anything like that?

Ganonator
03-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Cable internet has one feature that DSL does not - shared bandwidth. Unlike the phone company, cable companies don't have dedicated connections for all users on the system. Outgoing, they broadcast the same information - as television channels to your set - and the internet is secondary to them.

When a ton of people get on, ususally anything better than 40% of all users, it will slow down to try to service all of the requests.

DSL doesn't have this, as you have a dedicated line to the company hub.

Just a little nugget of knowledge for you to enjoy.

Kamaria
03-31-2005, 08:28 AM
I have no routers, and no spyware. I do have a firewall which I'll turn off for a while to see how it's affected.

But Ganonator, you seem to be on to something. That might be the problem right there. So I guess there's no real way to fix THAT.......

DsS Game
03-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Well did you try shutting it off, unplugging it, replug it and rebooted your comp? That sometimes might help.

Masamune
03-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Try changing the cap on the modem to allow more bandwidth to come through. It's illegal so I won't be telling you how to do it. =\