PDA

View Full Version : Retiring

PolygonX8
03-30-2005, 12:13 AM
First of all, slap me if this topic should've gone somewhere else.

I'd just like to tell the community, that after about five years of working with ZQ, and 12 quests completed, I am now retiring. Over the past months, I've not been able to sit in ZQ and even make something without becoming bored. There have been a few occasions where I'd be in ZQ for an hour, but then I'd go out of it and leave for several days - This has never happened before. And ever since I became "literate" and more caring of my work, nothing I've made even makes me feel proud anymore. I can't make a quest to the best of my abilities because I am:
1. Too damn lazy
2. Very lazy
3. Just damn fscking lazy

Laznyess has overwhelmed me and become part of me the last seven years, and it's had a great influence on school, and everyday life.

I was picking up a few new tricks I hadn't known, and I was about ready to crank out C-Dawg style bosses in my quests, but I no logner have the motivation and patience for ZC anymore. :\

Hopefully, my past works striked some interest or allowed you all to have some fun for the little time each quest lasted. But now's the time to move on. Perhaps I will return to ZC one day... as a gamer does to a very old game. But as it is, those days where we go back to the old stuff when we're more attached to the newer, doesn't last quite long at all.

My main hobbie now? Spriting. Over the past months, I've been sharpening and improvng my skills even better than they were currently, and I find this to be a very enjoyable thing to do. All of my handmade tiles in my quests... will still remain in my posession only as I still have my pride and greed as a spritist. :P

Well now... ever remember what the Shy Guy looked like in SMRPG? Well, here's my edit I did yesterday (too bad I can't use this as my av yet):
http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/PolygonX8/genguybig.gif

Props to *b*/link3505/Gashin for the palette. :thumbsup:
Well all, I'll see you around, and I hope you enjoyed my works.

JayeM
03-30-2005, 03:19 AM
Sorry to hear it, PolygonX8, but I understand where you're coming from. You've been an asset to the ZC community. Best of luck with whatever catches your interest next.

PolygonX8
03-31-2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=11118&view=getlastpost

Yeah... fsck me.

Ganonator
03-31-2005, 02:16 AM
I know what you mean and how you feel. There gets to be a time when you just can't make quests work anymore. Sure, anybody can throw down some simply puzzles and rooms with normal enemies in them, but it takes a certain skill and dedication - and when you have that, you just know it.

I lost my ZQ abilities the very same way as you did, PX8, and it hurts me to see you go. I hope you'll find a new nitch and better things to producte for AGN :)

*b*
03-31-2005, 03:03 AM
http://www.zcworld.net/filemanager/Users/PolygonX8/genguybig.gif

Props to *b*/link3505/Gashin for the palette. :thumbsup:.
as well as the current shape of the hat and the rim. can't forget that, you ungreatful bitch

and as I told you in the chat, I'm sorry to see you stop working with ZC. I loved seeing what you could do with it. but, all good things must come to an end. hopefully, though, you'll make an exception for Fragments

(and yes, I was joking about that ungreatful bith part. you know I wouldn't say anything like that out loud)

PolygonX8
03-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, I'd reread the topic and my latest post.
Stress sucks ass.

Oh and General Guy... the hat, yes you shaped it. Though, the editing of the shading on it and the rim kind of sucked, so I fixed that. Better stick to 16x16, Gashin. I'm the man for the bigger sprites. :P

Dark_Cloud
03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Dude Poly, thats sucks man! Really, your quests were and still are an inspiration to me :) Keep in touch man, and maybe we will see another quest someday, you'll never know :)

mr.Descer
04-03-2005, 12:50 PM
oh well.. though I never liked your work (I mean your quests, your sprites are spectacular) it is still a shame to see you leaving ZC. And my pal Pete (known as Petoe here) will be much more disappointed since he saw something great in you and your Metroid projects and he was really sad about not getting the MMDWr tieleset ready in time for you and other people.. :(

PolygonX8
04-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I've changed my mind. The leaving was due to excessive stress and a great lakc of motivation. I've regained it, dropped the quest forum at PZC, so now I can work silently.

Verily, I hated all my past quests too, Descer. I don't even like MTPP. What I'm doing now is making me a bit proud, so perhaps you'll like "A Link to the Darkness: Super-Duper Revamp" once I get a demo out.

ShadowTiger
04-05-2005, 09:32 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't care about the public. Don't care about them at all. Just focus on what YOU are interested in. No hype about quests, means no disappointment when one is dropped without them knowing.

Of course, it'll affect you adversely. =L/ Not too good to hear it, but the more quests you abandon, the more you may feel that you'll never find "That One Quest" that's right for you. It happened to me. Don't let it happen to you.

Petoe
04-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Hey, I'm damn glad you decided to change your mind Poly! :thumbsup:
Like BH4 said, don't care about the public. If they cannot appreciate your brilliant work, **** them. It's their loss.

During these 3 rough months in the army I have realized that if I'd think about the public all the time I wouldn't be able to release any more quests nor do any other creative work. When I get permanently home from that awful place I will make a big secret quest I enjoy to play. I will release it to public, but I don't care how people like it and rate it anymore. I'm too tired to wonder why so few did appreciate MMDWR (okay but let's forget that quest already...). I'm happy to play it and that's all what matters. And I know I will love your future projects Polygon if you just get rid of that weird graphical style. ;)

PolygonX8
04-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't know what others are saying, but MMDWR is no doubt the best designed quest ever. All the areas were designed well, great music, great graphics, and the bosses were great too (You should take into consideration to make bosses like C-Dawg as those are extremely effective). :thumbsup:

I came back to decide I would just be a lone quester, so I could work at my own pace without being bothered by others. Though, thigns go slow as overworlds are boring to make.
As for that superbly strange graphical style... it'll be done with after MTPP. I don't like it either, but I sucked at landscape.

You get out of the army at the end of this year, right?

Petoe
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
You get out of the army at the end of this year, right?

Actually, I'm a lucky bastard and I get out of there "as soon as" in early July! :)
Though I hate army and the fact that all Finnish men are forced to go through that crap, I have to admit it has made me much stronger... both mentally and physically. And when I get back home, I have hundreds of new quest ideas. And if I'm able I'd be more than willing to help you with the landscape problem. Background graphics are my strong point you know... ;)

The topic title should be changed to "Comeback" since looks like both of us (Poly and me) are returning to the quest production table. :) How the hell did I think I could just leave this stuff? I love creating own stuff...
And what you said about working at your own pace, that's a good way to go as I said earlier. That's what I'm going to do. After 3-4 months I'm going to be active again and post alot, but I will only discuss about my next quest with bugtesters only. That way I don't end up setting too high expectations and people will probably be positively surprised when they see a huge quest coming out of nowhere.