PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with some secret combos

Artemis251
03-29-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure if this can be done, this being my first ZC game and all. Anyways, here goes:

Okay, I'm trying to set up a chain of secret combos in one of my dungeons, but am having trouble. I want to have the player first solve a pushing puzzle, then use the Candle to trigger another combo. The player is actually pushing a jar of oil near a block of ice to get enough power to melt it, but the flame must be right beside the ice, so s/he must push the oil near it. Here's where I'm having trouble. I can't figure out if I can make the ice solid until the second secret combo goes off. I'll tell you what I did so far.

I'd set the first puzzle to get the block trigger at the spot I want, near the ice. That triggers the ice to disappear on the main layer (layer A) and an ice block to form where the ice was on another layer (we'll call it layer B). Also on layer B comes an exact jar sprite with the flame attribute. Layer B's candle secret combo is a big fireball.

Now, everything works out okay except for the ice. It being on another layer makes it passable after pushing the oil to the spot, not after lighting it on fire as I'd like; That, or if I put it on layer 1 or 2, it never becomes passable, and the fire never shows up (since the jar's still on layer A). Also, I can't figure out how to make the ice block disappear after the fire is lit. Is there a way I can fix this at all, or should I remake the puzzle?

Sorry if this is an easy problem to deal with, I honestly don't mean to sound dumb if I do.

Freedom
03-29-2005, 01:20 AM
You can make this work.
You really need to stack your flags though.
To stack flags you put a secret combo in... say 16 and the hold ctrl down while clicking on it and it will allow you to stack another flag... say burn on top of it.

You want the flag that you trigger on layer 0, but it will also trigger the secret combos you have on layers.

there are tutorials on my page in my sig that go into greater detail on stacking flags, IDK's tutorial for one, click on info I've compiled.

DeFray
03-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Don't worry about it. Questions are what this place is for. And easy questions just make me happy, cuz they're easier to solve. :D

At any rate, your problem not quite impossible. It's just gonna take some interesting tricks.

I think it would be possible to pull this off using multiple screens and covering the first screen with direct-warp secret combos, but I also think there's a much easier way. Assuming I understand your problem correctly, you should be able to use tiered secrets to do this.

Basically, go into your Secret Combos menu, hold Ctrl, and click a combo you've already set. This will allow you to set a secret combo on a secret combo.

So, for your problem, you need to make the ice block a secret combo onscreen, and then make a melted-ice combo as another secret combo, and ctrl-click to put the flag for the melted-ice on the ice-block secret combo.

If that didn't make sense, let me know and I'll try again, but I think that should pretty much take care of your problem. Good luck!

----EDIT----
Doh! I take way too long answering questions... I'm always getting sniped... But if Freedom agrees with me, then I'm sure the tiered secrets should work.

Artemis251
03-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks a ton you guys. It was a simple matter of assigning the ice block in layer B (now layer 1) to a secret combo tile. Now it all works perfectly. Thanks a ton, you really helped me figure out secret combos better!

However, now I can't get the flame to show on top of the pushed pot. I put it on the burn combo on my second layer (the one that generates the new ice block and burnable pot), but the base pot seems to have preference, showing over the fire instead of vice versa. I can assign it to a new layer 3 or 4, but that makes Link able to walk into the bottom half of the flame, which looks terrible. Is there any way to fix this new problem?

Freedom
03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
You could just add the "flame" to layer 3, or do it with stacked flags.