PDA

View Full Version : WinXP & Gamepad Problems

J.J. Maxx
03-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I bought a gamepad at BestBuy and I've been using it alot lately, the problem I have now, is that when I try to use the analog sticks, the left stick is stuck pushing to the right just a bit. I know what you're thinking, just go into Game Controllers and Properties and push the calibrate button. Nice try. There is no calibrate option. I can view the function screen and test the buttons, and I can view the rumble test screen and the driver info but there's no calibration option.

It came with a CD with the small driver installation Setup program. I tried unistalling it in Device manager, running the disc again but I still have to wait for XP to find it itself and install it.

Does anyone have any joystick related things I could try? Otherwise I have to wait till tomorrow and call the manufacturer.

AtmaWeapon
03-27-2005, 02:17 PM
It sounds to me like it has fallen to the same affliction that any analog stick falls to. The lack of good driver support for calibration combined with the short period before it broke indicates to me it is a gamepad of relative cheapness, and you should take up this offense with the manufacturer.

J.J. Maxx
03-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah, it was 14.99! But I still expect it to work! It's not like I do any serious gaming. I use it to play Super Mario 3 or Crystalis. Stupid thing.

Questwizard88
03-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Is this gamepad a usb gamepad, or does it connect to a game port, and are you trying to use it with a DOS or Windows program?

AtmaWeapon
03-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it was 14.99! But I still expect it to work! It's not like I do any serious gaming. I use it to play Super Mario 3 or Crystalis. Stupid thing.

Digital pads can be cheap and last forever. My favorite SNES controller is a $19.99 ASCII pad and I have used the same one for nearly 10 years now. Analog sticks can be expensive and fragile. The $30 PS2 and Gamecube controllers are good for maybe 6 months worth of heavy gaming. This is why even though analog sticks are a superior input device I really hate them.

Since you are playing games that use digital input anyway, pick up a cheap gamepad with a d-pad instead of an analog stick. It will last longer than your computer.

Questwizard88
03-27-2005, 04:02 PM
good for maybe 6 months worth of heavy gaming.That's usually when they give out on me too. I remmber having an old Nintendo 64 controller's analog stick becoming off-center, and it caused it's range to decrease drastically. Its a good idea to watch how you use the sticks on game controllers, to make sure you don't cause then to get off-center and become miscalibrated. Since then, I've never had a problem with an analog stick, since I watch how I use them now. They will usually still function if they start to become off-center, just not in a very good way.

Coder GT
03-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Return it and get a new one. It's probably just a hardware problem.

J.J. Maxx
03-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Actually, I'm using it for Mario 64 as well. Hence the need for the analog sticks to work. The right analog stick is centered, but the left one that I need to use is not. :(

It's USB.

Coder GT
03-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Ok, It's USB. Everything nowadays is USB or you can get the PS/2 clip on adapter. I have that, because I only have two USB ports on both of the desktop computers. I really don't see what that has to do with returning it. How long have you been experiencing this problem for?

DsS Game
03-27-2005, 05:43 PM
try updating your drivers and seeing if that might work.

Monica
03-27-2005, 07:50 PM
I would buy PC gamepads one ofter the other and each only lasted a few days, and they were all different brands. Then I discovered the PS1&2/N64 PC adapter on ebay. Just plug it into a USB port, plug a PS1, 2, or N64 controller (or both) into the little green part (or whichever color you get) swich it on and that's it! No installation or anything and mine's worked for at least a year, and it works on all the emulators and ZC too. :)

AtmaWeapon
03-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I would definitely go the console -> PC adaptor route. I've seen them at Radio Shack before for about $15-20. Console controllers are pretty high-quality, since they know if they don't make them last people won't buy them. You'll still eventually wear them out, but you're probably more likely to want to buy a new PS2 controller than PC gamepad since the usage is more universal.

As much as I knock Sony's controller design, I find their analog sticks are more durable than Nintendo's. I do find Nintendo's sticks to be more sensitive, but that is a blessing as well as a curse. Because the Gamecube controller is more sensitive, it wears out faster.

Monica
03-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Here is a very great description for you http://store.yahoo.com/midwestgames/play12nin64t.html and option to order that one, or you can look elsewhere. :)

Cloral
03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a Thrustmaster Dual Analog controller for my computer, and the analog sticks on it seem fine. They feel similar to the analog sticks on the PS2, which I guess is a good thing. It was about $20 when I got it which was a good while ago, so you could probably get it for cheaper now. The best thing about it though is it fits my hands perfectly - not like the PS2 controller, which always feels too small, or the xbox controller, which is too big and much heavier. But my favorite feature is the start and select buttons - they're on the back of the controller, right where your middle fingers go. That makes them really easy to press without having to move your hands at all.

I wish console manufacturers would make their controllers in a couple of sizes so you could get the controller that fits your hands best.

AtmaWeapon
03-27-2005, 09:52 PM
But my favorite feature is the start and select buttons - they're on the back of the controller, right where your middle fingers go. That makes them really easy to press without having to move your hands at all.

While this is an awesome idea, there is a reason why Start and Select are typically diffcult to reach. Several games have ignored this reason lately so they could cram some more functions on the controller, but this makes the games awkward to play.

Start and Select are typically reserved for menu functions or game-interrupting functions like pausing, altering the game's interface, or summoning subscreens. For example, almost every game is paused when you push Start or Select. In most Mario games, Start followed by Select will exit the current level. In a few games, Select cycles through different on-screen displays (I think it did this in Mario Kart). In other games, Start summons a sub-screen a la Zelda.

These functions will ruin your concentration if performed accidentally, as proven by the death threats a frequent pauser during multiplay games receives. As such, they are placed far from where your fingers normally roam. On menu screens they tend to be more useful since you aren't engaged in any gaming, but many games today don't mind if you press the game's "accept" button when asked to press Start on the menu.

The GBA SP in particular has the Start and Select buttons in quite difficult to reach positions. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga used these buttons to switch the active brother, and this was a mistake. Most of my sessions with that game were cut short from the cramps I developed trying to reach Select without letting go of the GBA (the SP does not fit my hands very well at all, and I find it is one of the least comfortable Game Boys to play). Metroid games are also a frustration on the GBA SP, as sometimes getting to the subscreen quickly is a necessity.

Having the buttons where you can reach them is nice in those games, but I can think of many other games where accidentally stroking those buttons will result in a flying controller.

I wish console manufacturers would make their controllers in a couple of sizes so you could get the controller that fits your hands best.

Yes. The Gamecube controller is perfect for my hands, but many of my friends claim it is too small. The PS2 controller is ever so slightly too large for me, but perfect for most of my friends. The XBox controller reminds me of the Dreamcast controller; I can't quite figure out if they were designed for humans or not.

Cloral
03-28-2005, 04:12 AM
You might think that you might hit select and start by accident, but that hasn't happened for me. I think they are just far enough from where you normally put your fingers that you aren't going to just slip and hit them - you have to actually attempt to press them.

How is the PS2 controller too big for you? I keep wishing there was a bit more to grab onto on those things. I like it when the end of the controller sits in my palm and isn't just supported by my fingers.

DsS Game
03-28-2005, 08:37 AM
I would definitely go the console -> PC adaptor route. I've seen them at Radio Shack before for about $15-20. Console controllers are pretty high-quality, since they know if they don't make them last people won't buy them. You'll still eventually wear them out, but you're probably more likely to want to buy a new PS2 controller than PC gamepad since the usage is more universal.

As much as I knock Sony's controller design, I find their analog sticks are more durable than Nintendo's. I do find Nintendo's sticks to be more sensitive, but that is a blessing as well as a curse. Because the Gamecube controller is more sensitive, it wears out faster.

So true. I tried using the N64 pad. Sucks.... It was bad because almost all of the games required thhe use of the analog and not the D-Pad which I thought was dumb.

J.J. Maxx
03-28-2005, 09:17 AM
I'm gonna call the manufacturer today, if they can't help me, then I'm gonna take a swing over to BestBuy and exchange it or a another one.

EDIT: Super! I went down to BestBuy and all they had left was the 12 button Gamepad that was 10 bucks more so I gave them a the sob story and they traded the cheaper one for the newer one! Works out good for me!