PDA

View Full Version : Forum hack idea

Beldaran
03-21-2005, 02:08 PM
EDIT: I agree now that this is a stupid idea. I don't know wtf I was thinking.

------

I have an idea for a forum hack that might contribute positively to the environment here.

What if we adopted a moderational system similar to Slashdot where we could give people's posts a numerical rating based on the quality with which it was written, and that rating could have a qualifier attached to it, such as "funny" or "stupid".

For instance, let's say I deliver a funny repartee and it's rather well recieved. People with mod points could rank it as a funny post. They could express their appreciation of the post by giving it a rank, rather than making a silly reply like "lol that's funny" or not saying anything at all and letting their appreciation of my rapier wit float away with the breeze.

So members who make good posts will feel all warm and glowy after recieving good ratings, and members who make shitcock posts will feel stupid and inferrior. :evil:

And in your profile if could keep track of your total number of points, so it will be like a silly competition to see who makes the highest number of thoughtful, inspiring, or hillarious posts. Thus, you couldn't really spam your way to victory unless you were making a great number of positive contributions that made this a more interesting place anyway.

vegeta1215
03-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I think the reputation system we have now is enough.

Plus, I wouldn't want to rank all the posts I read, and I honestly don't know how people at Slashdot manage to rank all the posts they get each day (there are just so many).

Archibaldo
03-21-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree with vegeta, the reputation system is good enough. Besides, do you know how many n00bs will post a thread about that being unfair because their posts will always be shit. And when I say n00bs, I mean members like, Foamy and git-r-done.

Cloral
03-21-2005, 03:15 PM
I think that would be a bit much. Imagine if when you were talking with someone you had to rate the quality of each sentence the other person said. It would quickly become annoying.

I think you can tell the quality of a post in large part by the responces it gets, so a ratings system isn't needed.

Ganonator
03-21-2005, 04:12 PM
I think the reputation system we have now is enough.

Yes, but is it used? After a quick check, barely anybody has had a change of reputation since a day after it came out?

What we really need is public spankings.
Can there also be a field in our profiles for the number of times we masturbated in the previous week?

[/sarcasm]

Jigglysaint
03-21-2005, 04:20 PM
What we really need is public spankings.
Can there also be a field in our profiles for the number of times we masturbated in the previous week?

[/sarcasm]

Only if it's got triple digits

carrot red
03-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Not.
Such a hack would turn the board into a circus.

See, if I dislike you, and I do, no matter what hilarious and witty joke you post, I still wouldn’t find it funny, as a matter of fact, I wouldn’t even crack a smile, AND I would certainly not post in any of your threads, no matter how interesting they might be, or how much I would have liked to voice my opinion agreeing or disagreeing with you, just because the thread bears your name.
However, if I like you, I would be more inclined to be indulgent and overlook all your shortcomings and you might even have to pick me up from the floor because I’ve spent over an hour rofl ing there.

And popularity contests are just that. They’re about how popular you are, not about how smart.
All is relative in life, Bel, and you can’t expect people to be objective most of the time.

Only hacks I miss are the edit history and multiple quote ones.

Beldaran
03-21-2005, 04:49 PM
if I dislike you, and I do,

Ouch. Just ouch.

Ok fine, so it might suck. Forget it said anything.

carrot red
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
You know what I meant, Bel, you *are* my friend.

And the idea might not suck. That's just my personal opinion.

Nice av, but it doesn't go with the title. Or is this your idea of a space hottie? :saint:

Beldaran
03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
haha, that title is so old. It's from when I used to have Sub Commander T'Pol from Enterprise as my avatar. I have since updated it to better reflect who I am. :D

You may have a boyfriend or whatever, but I know you secretly love me. It's ok to feel that way.

carrot red
03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
lmao
You think so? Because you're such a sexy guitar player? What a relief to have it out in the open at last. Now get off of your butt and come up with another idea so I could kill it for you. :sb:

I remember the space hottie av.

Dark_Cloud
03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
inclined shortcomings rofling
popularity
relative

Those words are too big for me.

The hack isn't a bad idea, but I think it would be a little annoying to deal with.
Good idea though you may have insipred someone :D

DsS Game
03-21-2005, 08:02 PM
I think the reputation points are good enough.... It's way too much work for anyone to rank up all posts that happen here.

AtmaWeapon
03-21-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't like it, and this comes from one who was a full-time slashdot junky at one point.

Slashdot's moderation system rewards early posters who jump on the bandwagon of the day or tell the same tired old joke again and again. Extra points for sticking a "Blue Screen of Death" joke into it.

When I got mod points, I organized by post time descending and tried to give the people on the 10th page with excellent posts some help. However, I have never received moderation points for a post that fell off the first page, nor for one that was made after the article was the third on the front page. The rare exceptions were the times I would point out that I have seen the Blue Screen of Death once in the past 3 years (due to a hardware failure) and that Linux might in fact be rather difficult to install for the average Joe user. No matter where you post against the bandwagon, you are guaranteed -1. Here's a sample of how to always get 55555s at slashdot:

Topic: Caffeine makes your sperm totally more potent and nerds get women too

Example post:
That's why I use Linux and I don't have to worry about viruses or patch my software EVER. Also, in Soviet Russia the Blue Screen of Death pours Natalie Portman's hot grits on a Beowulf cluster YOU! Now I'm going hang out at STARBUCKS with my GIRLFRIENDS.

Moderation results: +5 Informative

Next post:
Um, yeah. This "research" was accomplished by measuring the distance two men ejaculated after one drank a cup of coffee. I'm not really certain that we have conclusive proof of anything.

Moderation results: -1 Trolling

It just doesn't work out well. You get good points for posting homogenous content that everyone agrees with and bad points for posting inventive things that go against conventional wisdom. I don't think AGN would get nearly as juvenile as slashdot, but we'd be close.

What we need is more good, active posters. The last thing we need is more little numbers for people to get obsessive about.

Ganon's Minion
03-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Our current system if fine. This is not needed.

Beldaran
03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I totally agree with Atmaweapon, now that I think about it. I retract my suck ass idea and bow out not so gracefully.

{DSG}DarkRaven
03-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Nice av, but it doesn't go with the title. Or is this your idea of a space hottie? :saint:

As a guy, I'm only assuming this, but I'm pretty certain darth could pick up a few chicks if he played an electric guitar. He's probably got a built in amp anyway.

As for the idea of a second ratings system, though I'm a bit behind on the aforementioned posting bandwagon, I think we just need to give this one time to set in. People need to get used to using it; some people still probably don't even know it exists or how it works. Adding another one so soon is like trying an overnight 30 lb. weight loss diet. A quick fix won't solve the problem around here.

AtmaWeapon
03-22-2005, 01:34 AM
I totally agree with Atmaweapon, now that I think about it. I retract my suck ass idea and bow out not so gracefully.

Hey man, chill brah you don't have to be so hard on yourself.

Also I looked at your avatar and pictured Darth jamming on a guitar and it made me LOL more than anything has in a long time.

*edit* and those two dudes behind him could be his backup dancers ROTFLMAO

{DSG}DarkRaven
03-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Also I looked at your avatar and pictured Darth jamming on a guitar and it made me LOL more than anything has in a long time.

It could totally work, especially if you consider the fact that a Jedi like him could take air guitar to a whole new level.

Beldaran
03-22-2005, 02:13 AM
If you look at the picture, you can tell that he's just standing there pondering how fucking sexy he is.