PDA

View Full Version : cel shading or no cel shading?

Foamy
03-18-2005, 02:01 PM
I have yet to see a post about peoples thoughts on the topic of cel shading in games so let me start it off with this, do u like cel shading in games (wind waker) in my openion I do like cel shading but I also find it anoying after a short period of time.

Steezy20
03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Most games I've played haven't managed to pull cell shading off,
but XIII is quite good. Why are most cell shaded games on the GameCube?

AlexMax
03-18-2005, 04:31 PM
As long as the game looks visually appealing to me, I could care less if it had it or not.

goKi
03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Cel shading is brilliant, and no matter how visually great LoZ'05 looks, i still wish it were cel shaded.

ShadowTiger
03-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Cel shading is brilliant, and no matter how visually great LoZ'05 looks, i still wish it were cel shaded.
I couldn't agree more. The Wind Waker had some of the greatest amounts of details graphic-wise that I've ever had the pleasure of looking at for hours on end. It was like "Frames of animation were a thing of the past." It was graphical heaven! :D

It's like, .. you know how when you're playing a game, and you want the game to run at its maximum possible frames per second? ... and then you actually manage to get it way up there? THAT, is what TWW felt like. God, I miss that game...

MottZilla
03-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Cell Shading can be very cool. Unfortunately most games using it, well, suck. Also the reason many GC games use Cell Shading effects are because of its advanced graphics hardware which are said to make doing it much easier. And it's certainly powerful enough.

I don't think most people didn't like Wind Waker cause of Cell shading, but because the graphics were bland boring cartoon crap which I personally don't like, and the gameplay wasn't all that much fun.

There's nothing wrong with cell shading so long as it's used appropriately.

vegeta1215
03-18-2005, 11:18 PM
The Wind Waker and Tales of Symphonia are the only cel-shaded games I've played (that I can think of). I loved the style for Zelda - it gave the game a feel close to the original Legend of Zelda for me, and really brought the world and characters to life.

For Tales of Symphonia, the cel-shading fit so well because it made the game feel more like anime, which I really liked among other things. (interesting story, terrific characters, fun battle system, etc.)

Yeah... When I heard about the new Zelda I was excited and disappointed at the same time. :(

Eskyris
03-19-2005, 12:15 PM
The cel shading style of Zelda the Wind Waker was okay, but there was one thing I didn't like about it. I thought the characters looked ugly, a bit caricature-like, like Ganondorf, I found him looking very ugly. Everything else looked beautiful. So I did have a lot of fun playing the game, but I was very happy when I heard the new Zelda was going to have a more realistic style.
So cel shading is okay to me as long as they don't make the characters to caricature looking.

Coder GT
03-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Cell Shading is both good and bad. I like it in certain games. I don't like it in others like LoZ: Windwaker series & DBZ Ultimate Battle 22. It looks like trash, they did a nice job of it in WWE Day of Reckoning and some other games. My one friend doesn't want GTA to have the same graphics as the pictures on the loading screen. He would think that the game would look cell shaded, I still think it would be hot. Not everyone can make good cell shading looking games, but I like the concept. I don't want to see it on every game though.

Grasshopper
03-19-2005, 03:37 PM
...DBZ Ultimate Battle 22. It looks like trash, they did a nice job of it in WWE Day of Reckoning and some other games.

What?

If I recall, Ultimate Battle 22 is a 2D sprite based fighter, so its not cel-shaded. Unless you meant to say the Budokai series. And WWE Day of Reckoning? :eyebrow: Where in it does it have cel-shading cause I've not seen it.

goKi
03-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah... When I heard about the new Zelda I was excited and disappointed at the same time. :(

Let's just hope they keep Zelda Cel Shaded on another platform, perhaps Nintendo DS?

Coder GT
03-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Day of Reckoning looks like It's cell shaded at some points...And I really thought that Ultimate Battle 22 was cell shaded. I'm pretty sure that is the most freakiest game of all time, It's rated E or T but it gives me nightmares because the movies are so scary looking. It's like watching a horror movie that actually is scary. No, not Budokai...those games have marvelous graphix.

phattonez
03-21-2005, 12:15 AM
I couldn't agree more. The Wind Waker had some of the greatest amounts of details graphic-wise that I've ever had the pleasure of looking at for hours on end. It was like "Frames of animation were a thing of the past." It was graphical heaven! :D

It's like, .. you know how when you're playing a game, and you want the game to run at its maximum possible frames per second? ... and then you actually manage to get it way up there? THAT, is what TWW felt like. God, I miss that game...

Cel shading looks really good, but I don't care about graphics all that much. I didn't like Wind Waker that much, but it wasn't because of the graphics, I liked them. It was because the game was too short and there was too much water. The only thing left to do is the pictures, and I don't have the patience to do all of them. The new Zelda looks good, but I can't make an opinion until I play it. There is too much emphasis put on graphics today, games-makers should focus on gameplay instead.

Darth Marsden
03-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Cal shading can look good, but only if it's done properly and if it suits the game style. Wind Waker is an excellent example of what I mean - it siuts the gameplay perfectly, and it looks fantastic. Things like Disney's PK and Tazmania also show what I mean - they're not done properly and don't really suit the game. Phattonez is right, there's a lot of emphasis on graphics these days, but as graphics become more and more realistic, people will stop caring about them and be more worried about the gameplay.

mikeron
03-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Cal shading can look good, but only if it's done properly and if it suits the game style. Wind Waker is an excellent example of what I mean - it siuts the gameplay perfectly, and it looks fantastic. Things like Disney's PK and Tazmania also show what I mean - they're not done properly and don't really suit the game. Phattonez is right, there's a lot of emphasis on graphics these days, but as graphics become more and more realistic, people will stop caring about them and be more worried about the gameplay.I agree. Cel shading suited Wind Waker so well because the game was not supposed to be realistic. If you want a game to look as the real world does, cel shading wouldn't help, but in most cel shaded games, the developers are looking for a fantasy excursion from real life. Correspondingly, the games that pull off cel shading so well appeal to me because they allow a sort of escape. Just for fun I'm thinking of trying out the Doom 3 Cel Shader Mod (http://www.fileplanet.com/144072/140000/fileinfo/DOOM-3---Cel-Shader-Mod).

Deathless One
03-26-2005, 02:43 AM
I hate Cel Shading, Wind Waker could have been alot better if it hadn't looking like a four-year-old drew it. I mean, when I play a video game, I want to be able to feel close the the characters, not feel like I'm controlling a cartoon. Windwaker is and will always be the ONLY cel shaded game I own.

SSJ3500
03-26-2005, 03:28 AM
I have only seen a few games with good Cell Shading, wind waker I never really played that much so I can't comment on it. JSFR was good with it's Cell Shading, other than that I would have to say that the only gametype that should really be done in Cell Shading is probably anime based games. The 3 Budokai games and the 2 Gungrave games were done in cell shading and I thought they looked amazing.

Coder GT
03-26-2005, 01:38 PM
What was the first ever cell shaded game? I put my money on Jet Street Radio 1 for Dreamcast. Anyway games like that and Viewtiful Joe have the best looking cell shaded graphics, imo. I also think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 for PS2 has very nice graphix.