PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bitmap editing program - alternative to photoshop?

punkonjunk1024
03-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah.. basically what it says. I don't want to torrent anything huge, I'd like functional, user-friendly freeware... Basically, anything more powerful than paint. Anything would be helpful, thanks.

Ovi
03-09-2005, 07:44 PM
How about Corel Photo Paint?

gdorf
03-09-2005, 08:37 PM
GIMP, its free, and its a little like photoshop.

Kairyu
03-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Doesn't Corel cost money?

If you don't mind not being able to work with 24-bit bitmaps, there's a program called IDraw which is way better than paint, especially with it's grid feature and the pallette editor. But it doesn't work with 24-bit files, and it can only use bitmaps and PNGs. If you want, I could put it online for you, but I won't have access to it for a while.

punkonjunk1024
03-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Free... would be best.

EDIT:
Totally missed those two posts. I'll check out gimp, and IDraw would be nice, if you could give me a link?

AtmaWeapon
03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
the GIMP is probably the best free image editor. I'm not checking this URL so it may be wrong but I'd try www.gimp.org first.

punkonjunk1024
03-09-2005, 11:18 PM
I got gimp. Worth the two hours of waiting - This is incredible. Everything I would have done with photoshop, I can do with this. Awesome. Thanks alot.

Kairyu
03-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Wow, yeah. Forget IDraw. Thanks for showing us this.

ShadowTiger
03-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Not to steal the thread or anything, (Particularly as it's useful nonetheless to everyone.) does anyone know of a program that can rearrange the pallete? I mean, just its order. The image would remain the same.

Such a program would move the order of the colors around in the pallete, so that even if it's a 16 bit image or a 32 bit, or whatever quality file, you could place the important colors in the first 16 slots, so when you import into ZQuest, you don't have to recolor anything. Such a program would be infinitely useful in the ZC universe.

... But I'm pretty happy with Photoshop in the meantime. Except for that above request/suggestion/availability question, Photoshop can do everything I've ever had to, coupled with IRFanview for the sheer convenience factor, of course.

Ich
03-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I had a demo version of Paint Shop Pro 3 back in my Windows days that allowed you to change the individual pallet colors in (say) 256 color images, and there was a tool to change only one color into another. After the 30 day trial expired, a message popped up and said "you are on day 785 of your 30 day free trial. Please register this program" and you could click through that window, and use it with full functionality. Not sure where to find it, but it was what Texasdex used to rip his Warcraft graphics.

ShadowTiger
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Hm. Thanks Ich. :) But was it ONLY Paint Shop Pro 3 that had the feature? Or does 3+ have the feature as well? Because they're well up to [b]9.[/i] :odd: Though it's certainly rare to remove features, you never know nowadays.

ZTC
03-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I had a trial of ^ at one time, and with a few registry hacks, I bumped the usable time to like 170 days, but the way it took over the assoications....
bah, I just use paint

Ich
03-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I think they made the registration reminder message more than just plain old nagging. You can, of course, get a crack or warez'd version of PSP, but I'd recommend a virus scan of the object. Be careful of cracks and any .exe off KaZaA (use KLite K++). Of course, you already know all this. I never used anything later than psp 3.

Kairyu
03-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't know if Gimp can, but I do know iDraw can. It has lower system requirements anyway.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/js0/blargh.html

ShadowTiger
03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Oh, man, thank you so much Kairyu (And Ich & TCyborg.) I hope to do some pretty cool stuff in ZC this weekend. ;) All in your honor. :D If I make anything, you'll be in the credits. :highfive:

fatcatfan
03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I know Corel Draw can rearrange the Pallete. I dunno of free programs for that purpose though.