PDA

View Full Version : Playstation problem

Axel
03-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I've got a problem with my playstation (not PS2) and I don't know what to do. What happened is that it simply refuses to turn on. I get nothing. To make sure it wasn't just the power cable I tried another one, still nothing. At first it was suggested that the fuse blew out, so I replaced it. No dice. Anyone know what else could be wrong?

DsS Game
03-05-2005, 11:44 AM
make sure all the connectors are plugged in tightly and make sure that you are on the right screen. Either video mode on the vcr or video modes 1 or 2 on a TV set.

Axel
03-05-2005, 12:56 PM
You really think I'd go through the trouble of buying new fuses and taking apart the PS without checking the cables? I already said I tried a different power cable. As for the channel, I said nothing happens. That means the little LED doesn't light up, at all.

AtmaWeapon
03-05-2005, 01:00 PM
It sounds like it died the death of aging low-quality hardware. Systems with moving parts inevitably fail. That's one of the few good reasons Nintendo held on to cartridges for so long.

You could probably pay some repair center $30 + shipping to get it fixed or shop around a used game store and get a used one for the same price.

DsS Game
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
You really think I'd go through the trouble of buying new fuses and taking apart the PS without checking the cables? I already said I tried a different power cable. As for the channel, I said nothing happens. That means the little LED doesn't light up, at all.

Well you didnt say that.

Vagla
03-05-2005, 06:32 PM
He may not have said it specifically, but he didn't need to; it was implied by the fact that he 'got nothing' and thus checked the power cord. If the light came on, I doubt he would have been checking the power cord, and getting a light certainly isn't nothing.

Axel
03-05-2005, 06:52 PM
The fact that I bought the fuse should be a good hint that I tried easier things first.
I hope the system didn't just die on my, I figured before it stopped doing anything at it would least go through the blue-screen-of-death phase.

AtmaWeapon
03-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Well if it popped a cap (LOL) or otherwise had a power regulation failure then it is possible you could have fried something without any warning.

Also your location field stretches the tables and I'm sure some jerks are going to whine but it is refreshing to see the forums take up more than 10% of my screen again :)

vegeta1215
03-05-2005, 09:37 PM
PSones aren't very expensive. Brand new they're $50. I'm sure you could find a used one for even less than that.

Unless you had a mod chip in yours, getting a PSone would be better than trying to fix your old PS.

Axel
03-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I got it used from the kid down the street and, yes, he had the mod chip. I've not had any personal use for it, but my brother has several burned games. Actually, getting a new one might be worth it just to annoy him by making his games worthless....
Guess I'll have to start shopping around for a new one. Then again, why bother? My brother already has a PS2. Until I leave for college I'll just play the Final Fantasy's I haven't beaten yet on that.