PDA

View Full Version : request: Nintendo Power Link's Awakening preview scans

-Garrett-
03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm really interested in a scan of Nintendo Power's Link's Awakening preview as referred to here (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=53872).

They say it had an entirely different LTTP-like world map etc., which I really want to see for myself. :)

I'm SO addicted to Zelda betas :D ...in fact I'm considering starting a webpage about my OOA/OOS beta findings, so this would be a nice thing to feature there...

Come on people, this is the *fourth* forum I've tried at... seriously now... don't let me down like the others did... :-( ...you'd think *someone* would have this issue...

I decided to ask at some Zelda-centered forums first, thinking they'd surely have the goods, but I got nothing; therefore I decided to come back here, to the horse's mouth itself! :laughing:

Oh, and yeah, I'm new here, yadda yadda yadda... ;)

--I suppose I could always PM Warlock directly, but I don't like to bother admins... :scared:

Thanks in advance! *crosses fingers*

vegeta1215
03-03-2005, 05:30 PM
http://www.zeldalegends.net/index.php?n=publications#npm (third one listed in the NP section) I hope thats what you're looking for. btw, you can thank Mak-X for that, and many other scans on that page.

If that's not it, I'll try and look through some of my old NP magazines to see if I can find anything.

-Garrett-
03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
If that's not it, I'll try and look through some of my old NP magazines to see if I can find anything.

Unfortunately, that's not it! :( I've already been given that link today in another forum.

That one has the correct overworld map etc. and the name of the game, whereas the description says it just said "Zelda 4".

So, yeah, if you could look through your mags, that would be a GREAT help to me! :D

EDIT: you *did* see the link in the first post, right? The guy says it's likely an October issue. So you might as well start there instead of going through everything. :rolleyes:

vegeta1215
03-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I saw the link in your first post. They said Oct 1993 right? According to the Zelda Legends site, that LA preview I linked you was from May 1993. If that is correct, the scans you're seeking have to be before that.

I have a lot of Nintendo Power mags (I've been a subscriber since issue #25), but I've gotten rid of a lot of the old ones. I did save all the ones that were Zelda related or had other good articles, like the Secret of Mana one for example. I'll check'm out later tonight - I'm currently dog sitting.

Oh, be sure to check out the OoT beta screenshots on that page. If they are what I think they are, they were from this one NP issue where Nintendo had 100 preview screenshots of OoT. They all looked very different from the final product.

UPDATE: I just checked my NP magazines, but the only ones I saved before issue 100 were issues: 50 (Link's Awakening cover, July 1993), 54 (Secret of Mana cover), and 98 (GoldenEye 007 cover) :(

AtmaWeapon
03-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I have 33-112, but they are about 500 miles away from me so if I remember I'll look for them.

I don't remember any previews of LA, though... or at least nothing out of the ordinary. If you can get me an issue number I can tell you if I have it.

-Garrett-
03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Oh, that's... sad... hmmm... :(

Yeah, I've seen OOT beta stuff before. The fairies were much more angelic and significantly less naked, weren't they? Which begs the question, why change them?!? :odd:

Unless it was to give the game sex appeal :tongue:

Cloral
03-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Except that the end result was just weird looking and not at all sexy.

vegeta1215
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
I don't remember any previews of LA, though... or at least nothing out of the ordinary.

It was most likely just a Pak Watch piece with a small paragraph, one or two screenshots, and Zelda 4 as the title. I remember a long time ago there was a Pak Watch for Secret of Mana, but the title was Final Fantasy Adventure 2. :D

Yeah, I've seen OOT beta stuff before. The fairies were much more angelic and significantly less naked, weren't they? Which begs the question, why change them?!? :odd:

Except that the end result was just weird looking and not at all sexy.

I liked the blue-ish fairies better. I think they even showed them in the US commercial for OoT. But noooo, we had to get ugly freaky looking fairies.

-Garrett-
03-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I almost wanted to avert my eyes at points, it was *that* weird and off-putting. Not as off-putting as Cho Aniki, mind... that game is siiiiick... :scared:

Grasshopper
03-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Not to mention they had that banshee scream as they soar up out of the fountain.

Hmm, so this 'preview' had to be between LTTP issue (34, Mar '92) and before issue LA issue (50, July '93), right?. My oldest issue I have is 41, Oct '92 which had Super Mario Kart as the cover game. I have every issue, excluding Nov '92 from that month on.

Unfortunatly, anything past 97 or 98 I boxed up and stuck in our basement. I wasn't really a huge Link fan back then, but I don't remember that preview. But you're sure there was one with a different overworld?

If its likely and October issue, it would have to be my first issue. I don't remember anything in that

Daarkseid
03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
If I remember correctly, the earliest screenshots of Link's Awakening were in an issue of NP from the very end of '92, possibly even January 1993's issue. You would need to find scans of issues starting from Jan. 1993 and go back a few issues to find them.

EDIT: And the October clue probably means you could also start at Oct. '92's issue and go forward also. Okay, my info hasn't been terribly helpful, and I know of no place to find NP scans.

-Garrett-
03-04-2005, 01:49 AM
I have no idea, I've never seen it or heard of it before, I'm *only* going on info in that other thread (linked to in first post) which said the map was a dead-ringer for LTTP's. So it could be completely erroneous and I wouldn't know.

But thanks everyone for helping... :) ...who knows, I may not have to go on to forum #5... ;)

vegeta1215
03-04-2005, 12:24 PM
But thanks everyone for helping... :) ...who knows, I may not have to go on to forum #5... ;)

Here's hoping you stick around AGN for a good while! :thumbsup:

-Garrett-
03-04-2005, 03:51 PM
I have to--you guys make Zelda Classic! :D I'm stuck to you like a... like a... uh... OK, forget that bit. :tongue:

Mak-X
03-04-2005, 06:57 PM
http://www.adventureofhyrule.com/zelda4gameboy.jpg

You will notice that the overworld is based off of A Link to the Past's, probably the staff testing out the game engine with old maps. Another screen is based off the Eastern Palace exterior design, and did end up in the final version of the game, which is appropriate with the other references to Link's previous adventure in ALttP.

And before I forget this that I found in my travels
http://www.video-fenky.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34

-Garrett-
03-04-2005, 07:26 PM
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!

Yes! Just as I imagined... it was clearly originally an LTTP remake/sequel/prequel/etc. :)

And as for the other Link (hehe) THANK YOU again!!! :)

ahhhh... I never thought I'd see it... :)

vegeta1215
03-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Ah, I remember that.

Somehow I knew Mak would come to the rescue. :D

-Garrett-
03-05-2005, 01:41 AM
heh... rather ironic, isn't it? :rolleyes:

But anyway, thanks again, all! *goes back to writing walkthru for BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets (http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net)* :D