PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Characters?

Darth Marsden
02-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey all, looks like a cool forum. Hope you can help.

I currently mulling over the idea of making a fairly big quest, but before I embark on such a task, I'm trying to gather as much information as I can to figure out if I can actually do what I'm thinking of.

First (and most importantly) - is it possible to make a quest that switches between two main characters? For example, at times you would be playing a boy, and at others, a girl. Each would have their own different abilities and/or items. Is it possible to do this using Zelda Quest, and if so, how hard would it be to do?

Secondly, while I'm not a bad artist by any means, I'm no texture wizard. Has anyone made any 'realistic' textures I would be able to use? By realistic, I mean made to look more like like buildings and areas from the real world as opposed to the fantasy-type ones that Zelda and the like are. It's not major, but it would make a huge difference.

Thirdly, I know you can't create new items at will (I have done some research :cool: ), but is it possible to tweak the weapons and items at all? If so, how much can you edit them, and how many different weapons/items can a person carry? Bear in mind that if it is possible to have two different characters, they would have different items - would this be a factor at all?

...those are my main concerns. There are others, but they're fairly insignificant at this point. If you could help me out by answering any of these questions, it would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just realised that this may not be the best place to post this, but it's here now and I'm sure the answers are going to get technical at some point. Who knows, we may starts posting stuff that other people can use.

Mystical Sasshi
02-28-2005, 06:43 PM
First (and most importantly) - is it possible to make a quest that switches between two main characters? For example, at times you would be playing a boy, and at others, a girl. Each would have their own different abilities and/or items. Is it possible to do this using Zelda Quest, and if so, how hard would it be to do?

AFAIK,there is no way to play multiple characters in ZC as of now. There may be a way to change Link's icon to two different people,but there is no way to manage two different inventories. Such things are way too advanced for ZQuest as of now,even in 2.10.

Secondly, while I'm not a bad artist by any means, I'm no texture wizard. Has anyone made any 'realistic' textures I would be able to use? By realistic, I mean made to look more like like buildings and areas from the real world as opposed to the fantasy-type ones that Zelda and the like are. It's not major, but it would make a huge difference.

I don't know of any such "real-life" tiles. You could check PureZC.com's tile database.

Thirdly, I know you can't create new items at will (I have done some research ), but is it possible to tweak the weapons and items at all? If so, how much can you edit them, and how many different weapons/items can a person carry? Bear in mind that if it is possible to have two different characters, they would have different items - would this be a factor at all?

I think you can alter the power of weapons,but I don't know about items. You can alter their appearance,but they'll have the same function.

DeFray
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
It's true - What you're trying to do is beyond the scope of Zelda Classic. It only uses one main character. You could try using Link Tile Mods.

Link Tile Mods are a new thing in version 2.10. They allow you to completely change the appearance of ther character whenever he picks up certain items. Using this, you could change between the two characters by changing whenever they picked up one of these items. With a lot of work, you could make it look as though you were totally shifting the focus of the quest from one character to the other and flipflop the character's appearance. Unfortunately, there's still no way to have different items.

If it's appearances you're trying to change, it's possible to completely change the appearance of all aspects of all items in the Sprites menu.

---EDIT---
Looks like Mystical Sasshi beat me to answering you. Hope I don't sound too redundant...

Darth Marsden
02-28-2005, 07:22 PM
AFAIK,there is no way to play multiple characters in ZC as of now. There may be a way to change Link's icon to two different people,but there is no way to manage two different inventories. Such things are way too advanced for ZQuest as of now,even in 2.10.
So I could have, say, a boy and a girl, but they would have to have the same inventory?

I don't know of any such "real-life" tiles. You could check PureZC.com's tile database.
Thanks, checking it out now. It's not a big thing, but it would be nice to have a Zelda Quest set in the real world, wouldn't it.

I think you can alter the power of weapons,but I don't know about items. You can alter their appearance,but they'll have the same function.
Can I alter the appearance of weapons as well, or is it just items I can mess around with? And is there any way I can remove weapons / items from a player's inventory at some point?

Sorry to be so interrogating, but I kinda need to know before I start planning the project out. Thanks for your help so far, it's been great.

EDIT: Looks like I'm more popular then I thought!

Using this, you could change between the two characters by changing whenever they picked up one of these items.
Would this be when they pick up an item, or when they use an item they've already aquired? Just trying to think of a way around the 'only one character' thing.

*b*
03-01-2005, 02:25 AM
So I could have, say, a boy and a girl, but they would have to have the same inventory? yes, for now. the developers are currently working on a DMap option to remove certain items from your inventory permanentally, so you can change what equipment is saved, and which is lost

Thanks, checking it out now. It's not a big thing, but it would be nice to have a Zelda Quest set in the real world, wouldn't it. I don't believe there are many "real world" tiles anywhere, but PureZC would be your best bet for finding some

Can I alter the appearance of weapons as well, or is it just items I can mess around with? And is there any way I can remove weapons / items from a player's inventory at some point? any item currently available in ZQuest can have their appearance edited in a number of ways. you can't, however, have layerd items (items with another item graphic layered on top), multi CSet items, or have the items bigger than 16x16 pixels. you can't edit their impact strength, either, but I can believe you can edit the damage the beam can do for swords

Would this be when they pick up an item, or when they use an item they've already aquired? Just trying to think of a way around the 'only one character' thing.only when you pick up equipment, or equip an item. when you pick up, say, bombs, Link's sprite won't change untill you equip the bombs. at least, it shouldn't

hope that answered a few questions

Darth Marsden
03-01-2005, 02:01 PM
the developers are currently working on a DMap option to remove certain items from your inventory permanentally, so you can change what equipment is saved, and which is lost
Well, I've got numberous other things to do first, so hopefully they'll incorporate that by the time I get round to it. Alternatively, is there any way to just disable weapons or items, like in OoT when you couldn't use weapons inside of shops?