PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes!

Dart Zaidyer
02-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Does anyone here play City of Heroes?

The collector's edition of the game has just been marked down to 30 dollars, and that sounds like a bargain... If there's one pay-to-play MMORPG I'll pick up, it's CoH.

But first I need to know some stuff. I've heard plenty about what it's like to play the game and all that, but what about buying time? Does the game come with any? Do you need a credit card to hold an account, even if you plan to support it with time cards?

And what are some experiences you've had with the staff in charge of the game? Sure, if you're a jerk or ripping off a trademarked comic book hero, you're just asking for it... But have you been "dealt with" for less obvious reasons?

Your insight and commentary would definitely help me make a decision about this game.

vegeta1215
02-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I haven't played City of Heroes, but my manager used to play City of Heroes and was telling me about it. He said it's pretty fun at first cause you get to create your own super hero, but said that it gets boring cause there just isn't all that much stuff to do.

He's playing World of Warcraft right now, and is a Level 60 Night Elf Rogue. I think a lot of people on here will tell you to go pick that up instead.

Dart Zaidyer
02-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Well, one of the factors in my choice is method of payment. I have no credit card and can't get one. CoH allows you to buy time cards, and I've seen them for sale around my area too.

The second factor is atmosphere and playability. WoW eats other Fantasy RPGs for breakfast, but you have to pour a lot of time into it. Not that I don't have that kind of time, but I want a game I can pick up and drop at my convenience.
And besides, the whole "superhero" theme really appeals to me.

cap2030
02-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Wow is good for quick pick up and play.
But your asking about COH so you need a credit card or time card.
Wow has the same options but I dont think time cards are available.

COH is alot of fun at first but then you get bored.
It's nothing but fighting.
The plus is that they are adding new content every 2 months.

(flying is cool!!)

deathofspam
02-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I dunno, so long as you find a good group, I find it to eb a great game. There are classes for any type of playstyle, a visually impressive world (make sure if you do end up playing to make a point of going to Dark Astoria when you can) some pretty cool looking powers, and some incredibly crazy villains. The story arcs are great because they really make you feel like you are apart of something. As with everything, it needs some tweaks, but the devs are already pretty aware of these

Dart Zaidyer
02-28-2005, 02:24 AM
I just ended up getting a free trial of the game... But guess what? Turns out you need to have a credit card or time card set up on your account anyway in order to use it!
On the bright side, I've probably been spared the cost of buying the game and *then* paying to play, so it's not a total loss.

plith
02-28-2005, 09:47 PM
World of Warcraft does already have a system in place for people to buy game cards: two months' play for about $30, and you do not need a credit card for that (it's how I'm currently paying). I don't know for sure about City of Heroes, but it seems fairly reasonable to me that part of the point of using such game cards is to avoid the need for credit cards altogether.

deathofspam
02-28-2005, 11:28 PM
They require you to have a card to use the free trial?!? What the hell? Okay, that pisses me off.

Dart Zaidyer
03-01-2005, 01:28 AM
The way they explained it, you can enter your credit card into your account and you won't get billed until your trial's up. Since I didn't have a credit card, well... I took the plunge and bought a time card. Once activated I also received the free trial days.
So now I'm out 30 dollars, but guess what?

I like this game.

My first character, a mutant scrapper named "The Metal Centurion" can be found on the Virtue server. In between beating up street punks, he also battles with out-of-memory related errors and shaky graphics drivers. But fear not, citizens... This is only a general problem with my system and hasn't happened until recently.

deathofspam
03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
What power sets did you take?

Dart Zaidyer
03-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I made a journal-type post complete with screenshots here (http://damasca.nonstopnetshop.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=49134#49134). Go ahead and take a look. Since I'm addressing my community there, it's a little personal, but you can figure out what I'm talking about just by checking around and taking a look at my avatar.