PDA

View Full Version : Family Says Woman Died After Hospital Moved Her to Accommodate Flu-Stricken Pop Star

Monica
02-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Feb. 25, 2005 — A woman who had suffered a massive heart attack died after hospital personnel moved her out of a trauma room to accommodate a flu-stricken Michael Jackson, the patient's family said.

Jury selection in Jackson's child molestation child had to be temporarily postponed Feb. 15 when the pop star was taken to Marian Medical Center in Santa Maria, Calif., complaining of flu-like symptoms. Manuela Gomez Ruiz, a 74-year-old grandmother, was moved from the primary trauma room and taken off the machine ventilator, with her breathing instead assisted manually by hand pump, until she was relocated to a smaller room nearby, her family told ABC News.

The larger room was kept for Jackson, the family says. Hospital records show Jackson, 46, told emergency room staff he had severe abdominal pain. His body temperature, 96.9 degrees, was below normal and he had tears in his eyes. The initial emergency room report said he could go home anytime.

There was no doubt Jackson was sick — as a doctor assured the judge presiding over his trial — but how sick? Ruiz's daughter-in-law says she watched as Jackson entered the emergency room.

"He walked in," Anna Ruiz said. "When I saw him, he was walking unassisted."

Anna Ruiz was in the emergency room with her mother-in-law who was in the primary trauma room, attached to IVs and a ventilator.

"It's a large family and the mom is the heart of the family, " she said. Manuela Ruiz was a mother of eight, grandmother of 24 and great-grandmother of 26.

But Ruiz's heart was failing rapidly. She would have two more heart attacks before she died that day.

The family has hired an attorney to sue both the hospital and Jackson.

'They Shouldn't Have Treated Us Any Different'

Maria Elena Ortiz, the ailing woman's daughter, said she was in the room when Jackson came in. She was also present when her mother was moved and objected.

"Why does she have to be moved if he's coming in for a stomach flu?" Ortiz said. "I said, 'My mother just had a heart attack and I think it's more critical than a stomach flu.' They didn't say anything."

No one knows if moving Ruiz added to her trauma, but family members said they were told her heart was functioning at 30 percent and other organs were failing. But they say the chaos caused by Jackson's arrival distracted staff, and robbed them of precious time with their mother and grandmother as she died.

When Ruiz was moved to a smaller room, the family says equipment had to be crammed into the room. They also were limited to two visitors at a time. Once those visitors were in the room they could not leave and let other family members in because the hospital restricted movement in the hallways after Jackson arrived, the family says.

"This was the last time we might be able to talk with our grandma. They took that from us," said Marcos Meraz, one of Ruiz's grandsons.

How aweful...Micheal Jackson is just a disturbed has-been now. His flu isn't more important than someone's heart attack...:(:(:(

Eckels
02-26-2005, 10:46 PM
he made thriller

ShadowTiger
02-26-2005, 10:59 PM
But she made many, many children. But he lai .... Oh, .... I set them up, you knock 'em down. :rolleyes: :laughing:

It's so strange what today's public eye will perceive as important. :sweat:

Cloral
02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Sounds like it was the hospital's fault and not Jackson's. A malpractice suit might be in order, but that would be it.

VT_Hokie_Fan
02-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Michael Jackson sucks ass.

Lilith
02-27-2005, 03:58 AM
I want to eviscerate him.

Lutraphobiac
02-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Maybe she died because she was 78 years old and had a heart attack.

Lone Wolf
02-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Man, Michael just knows how to keep himself looking good in the public eye.

Glitch
02-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes Micheal Jackson is a piece of shit. But no it is not his fault. This was the hospital's fault and I hope that family gets a assload of money from them.

Jemsee
02-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Not a MJ fan, never have been even when he was popular.
It may not be his fault personally, but this will not help his image at all. (As if anyone cares)
And true the 'ol gal may have died anyway, but the act of moving a person in her state to accommodate an overstuffed icon like MJ is just wrong.
Who in there right mind goes to a trauma room for the flu anyway.
Hope the hospital gets nailed big-time.

ZTC
02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes Micheal Jackson is a piece of shit. But no it is not his fault. This was the hospital's fault and I hope that family gets a assload of money from them.
I'm with you on that one

completely and utterly disgusting that the hospital would do that :mad:

Darth Marsden
02-28-2005, 08:23 PM
What happened to the family was horrible and my sympathy goes out to them, but I agree - they should really be sueing the hospital, if ANYONE, rather then Michael Jackson. Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely the hospital has the authority to move any patient as the situation sees fit. They could just as easily given MJ a smaller room. He may not have liked it, but I'm sure he would have understood.

...then again, maybe not...we all know how self-centered some of those celebrities can be <cough>Paris Hilton<cough>...

Eckels
02-28-2005, 08:37 PM
maybe it was the only type of room that was available to hold a patient in police custody? was he in police custody at the time?

Ovi
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Okay, so lets get this strait:

-some old person is in big room
-she is moved to a small room
-she dies

WTF?! It's just a room! Do you honestly think she wouldn't have died if she had been in the big room? Okay, so for a while her breathing was assisted by a manual pump, but she was in a decent hospital room with her breathing assisted by an automatic pump again when she died. Basicly, I think this is just a load of crap. The family is just angry that their granny died and are trying to get a load of money for it, but they have no right. I mean, they didn't think that their granny would live 4ever, did they!?

death2004
03-04-2005, 05:40 PM
look, the hospital DOES have a right to move patients(its standard policy, apparantley), but moving a heart attack victim to accommodate a flu patient? that's just Fucking wrong, ok, if that woman was MJ(sp?), (s)he would've been left alone, and *insert flu victim here* would've been taken to a smaller room, but with this society, its just SOOOOOOO FUCKING greedy for money! its 'money this' and 'money that', i'm just sooooo FUCKING aggravated at this attitude to money and targets and status, ITS ABOUT SAVING PEOPLES FUCKING LIVES DAMMIT!

so put simply, ok, she WOULD have died, but the whole family would've talked to her before hand, but noooo, they have to treat MJ like he's A FUCKING GOD!!! and so the whole family didnt say their goodbyes, which is just too FUCKING LAME!!! if one person has to go, at least get most of the family to say their goodbyes, and when a multi-million dollar superstar comes in, all they think about is the FUCKING $$$!!! they should value their FUCKING JOB MORE THAN THEIR FUCKING PAY-CHEQUE!!! so in short, that hospital was greedy, end...of...story...

DsS Game
03-04-2005, 06:29 PM
man that shows you "Once you go black you can never turn back." Jackson just really fucked himself over.