PDA

View Full Version : New developement in my music problem

RPGAngel
02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
I discovered something about the music problem I had asked about earlier with 2.10. I had started to play Freedom's new Tortuga game(which is beautiful) when I noticed this. When in the area where you start, I have BG music! I was so happy, until I entered another area...then it was back to no BG music again. So it is only in the starting area that I heard it. I noticed the download came with a music file. Is this what is playing in the start area? If so, I wonder why I can hear it, but no other BG music? I thought that was wierd. I hope maybe this can help me figure out and fix my music problem. I do so want to be able to hear the music in the games again(I bet the msic in Tortuga is just gorgeaous, judging from the song I can hear).

Freedom
02-24-2005, 09:00 PM
The song you can hear is a MP3 the ones you can't are midis.
You need to set your drivers I'd say.

I haven't tried this in the 2.10 but had to do it all the way up to the 184.
You get a file called agsetup.exe with the old 190 Zelda Classic.
This allows you to open and set the drivers in the program, but like I said I'm not sure if it works in the 2.10 because the last one I needed to use it on was the 183.

below is all the info I saved up when I had that problem, and after trying different things I got it working in all of the versions within a half hour or so.

info on the agsetup exe;

by Shawn Hargreaves / David Calvin

adapted by
Armageddon Games

Introduction
------------

This program is a simple interface for setting up a hardware configuration
file (ag.cfg) for use with Armageddon Games products written with Allegro.
It will allow you to autodetect your soundcard or set it up manually and to
calibrate your joystick. It also provides a test system to make sure the
settings you have chosen are working properly.

Installation
------------

Simply copy setup.exe into the directory of the game you are using or into any
directory of your choice. The configuration file will always be saved into the
current directory, so it is essential that you run it from the same directory
as your program! You may also copy an existing ag.cfg from another directory
into the directory of the program.

Usage
-----

The simplest case of usage is this:

* run setup.exe
* click on autodetect
* test to make sure the settings work
* optionally calibrate your joystick
* save and exit

If there are any problems, use the "Digital Driver" and "MIDI Driver" menus
to manually set your soundcard parameters. Whenever you highlight an option,
a help message explaining what it does will scroll across the bottom of your
screen.

Notes
-----

Users of the Creative Labs Ensoniq Soundscape card will need to select the
MPU driver under "MIDI Driver" for acurate MIDI sound installation.

Info on what I and others had to do;

If you run AG setup.exe, then go to midi driver, it'll ask you for your sound card and give you a list. If yours isn't on the list, it's not compatible.

Okay, don't mess with the patches and such... leave them at default. Try changing your midi device to either "MPU-401" or "Midi Out". Don't use auto-detect: it'll usually give the generic "Adlib" option, which is probably what the problem is.

Thank you Overdrive it worked!

Ok Tudorcat this is what you should do!

1-Go into AGSetup
2-Go to Digital Driver
3-Click on Generic SB
4-Listen to what the bottom screen says and set everything to what the "usually" is.
5-Click ok
6-Go to the other sound option
7-Select MPU-401
8-Select everything to what the bottom screen says
9-Click ok, save the changes.
10-Run Zelda

Boomaster choose MPU-401 anyway. Let me tell you that I don't have a Generic SB or MPU-401 but it worked. Choose it anyway then in the options screen set the stuff to what the bottom screen says. Click ok, and run Zelda.

If this doesn't work just keep playing around with all the sound cards and save. Eventually something should work. After trying a sound card imediately set the options and save and run Zelda.

DON'T DO A SOUND TEST IN AGSETUP, IT WILL FAIL!

DO A SOUND TEST ONLY IN THE ZELDA GAME!

--------------------------
what I did for mine
--------------------------

set Digital Driver to "Soundblaster Pro" and "usual" settings as instructed by the Agsetup.exe
set Midi Driver to "Adlib (opl2) and "usual" settings.

RPGAngel
02-25-2005, 08:13 PM
I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work, at least the first few changes I tried didn't. I don't know iif any others would or not because I can't even open that program anymore. After the third time opening it to change settings, when I tried to open it, it started to open, then froze on a blank screen. The only way I could get out was to turn the computer off then back on by the power switch. It has done this twice now and I'm afraid to try it again. Thanks for trying though, and for the beautiful quest too. Great job on it!

MaddMatter
02-26-2005, 01:27 AM
I am new to the site and I was wondering how I can play the quests.

Freedom
02-26-2005, 02:00 AM
RPGAngel,
I don't know, maybe that's set up for DOS and you are running XP which doesn't support DOS?
who knows...
hope you figure it out.

RPGAngel
02-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't know about the Dos, but my system is Win 98 second edition. Could that have something to do with it(the music)? I'm not really worried about the agsetup program because it wasn't helping anyway. I know they said something about the Allegro having a problem. That might be what is happening, as I think I have seen other posts about this same problem. So, I guess I'm just going to have to accept it for a while. I hope that maybe they can fix the Allegro? Thank you for trying to help me Freedom. I am still enjoying your quest, even without the music.

Freedom
02-26-2005, 05:52 PM
yea, I'm not sure what to do, I opened the ag.cfg in the 2.10 and looked and it no longer even shows sound card info like it used to.