PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have air purifiers in their home?

Blonde799
02-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Ok. I like many other Americans, use air freshener to make sure the home smells nice, as opposed to everything else. Well, I hate the fact that I have to go buy cans month after month, and the things can only mask what's already there. Not to mention, the lack of any ventilation in the place, doesn't help any.

So, I was wondering if anyone has an air filter-thing, that you could just clean or something? Do they work well/are cost effective? I was thinking of buying one, and I saw those Sharper Image commercials for the ionic breeze. I was hoping someone could help.:)

ZTC
02-23-2005, 12:53 PM
eh, I just stick a Renuzit by the catbox

ShadowTiger
02-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I dunno. The effects of an air cleaner are about as obvious to me as obvious as the differences between blowing your nose with a brown paper towel and a piece of fancy paper. In the end, I just don't care. :shrug: I really can't tell, so why bother changing anything.

I do however, have an air cleaner just outside of my room. It makes an awful lot of noise though. But I do make good use of it in the spring/summer when it's on, and I'm coming from a shower. It makes for a great way to dry yourself off.

(Assuming nobody's around. :D )

Blonde799
02-23-2005, 01:54 PM
I really can't tell, so why bother changing anything.
Haha. Well, ya know when you stay in your home often, and you can't really tell how it smells until you go outside and then come back in? I hate doing that.

There are a lot of people who smoke inside the complex, and it gets pretty bad sometimes. And then there's foot odor, people's terrible cooking, and other scents. I'm just looking for something helps get rid of all that.

zfreak2004
02-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Its very interesting walking down the halls at my dorm.
"Mmm... Pizza...."
*Walks a few doors*
*Sniff, sniff*
"Gag! Burnt Popcorn."
*Walks a few doors*
"Yay!!! Body Odor..."

And so It goes...

Anyway. back on topic, I never use an air purifier. Two of my room mates have those little things that sit on the floor and have that gunk in them and my other room mate uses Febreeze (spl?) they seem to work ok.

Eckels
02-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Unless you live with smokers, or have severe breathing allergies, i doubt you'd notice the difference an air purifier would make.

g.iaroos
02-23-2005, 08:42 PM
To clean my house's air, I just open both doors at 0 Fahrenheit during winter and that cleans my crappy air lol

Blonde799
02-23-2005, 09:00 PM
I can only do that in my living room and my bedroom, and sadly most of the rooms need something like that.:p It doesn't work all the time though.

ShadowTiger
02-23-2005, 09:03 PM
You know what actually helps a bit? They make little gel-based (???) pine-tree / star fresheners you can hang on a string from somewhere on the wall. (Or the ceiling, as long as it's not above your bed, in case it falls. ... Hm ... Pointy. :p ) I got one for my birthday. And hell, it was a pretty good gift! I love the darn thing.

DsS Game
02-24-2005, 02:14 AM
I use it ONLY if I smoke in my room. My mother bitches about it a lot.
Otherwise I didn't see the use of it.

Daywalker

Cloral
02-24-2005, 03:35 AM
I think its better to just be used to breathing normal air.

automatic
02-24-2005, 04:12 AM
You know what actually helps a bit? They make little gel-based (???) pine-tree / star fresheners you can hang on a string from somewhere on the wall. (Or the ceiling, as long as it's not above your bed, in case it falls. ... Hm ... Pointy. :p ) I got one for my birthday. And hell, it was a pretty good gift! I love the darn thing. Yeah, you could string up a hundred of them on the ceiling like that guy did in Se7en.

To cover up the smell of your roommate's corpse.

Lutraphobiac
02-24-2005, 05:00 AM
I never needed an air purifier back home in my rural home town. When I first got to college in Pittsburgh the air felt a little unclean, but I quickly got used to it. Philidelphia had terrible air when I visited it. If I had gone to Drexel instead of Pitt, I might have considered buying one....