PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal:

ShadowTiger
02-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Thank god for the PS2. I used to be a total Nintendo Fanboy, ... up until this point.

My friend decided that he really wanted to play Resident Evil 4, so we performed a swap for my GCN (And everything GCN related that I own) for his smaller PS2, and everything PS2 related that he owns, apparently. (He also gave me a DVD of Neo Genesis Evangelion, Episodes 1-5. Damn cool. I <3 Anime. :D:D:D I so rarely get to see any. No cable TV.)

So now I have games like SS3, a Gods of War demo, FF7, .. etc.

But easily the gem of all of these games, is Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

For those of you who love shooters more than most other games, you definitely, definitely need to pick up a copy. I am so amazed how much fun I've been having with this game, especially after the proverbial bar had been set impossibly high by such games like Star Trek Elite Force 2.

The thing with this game is, that it's very easy to play. It's fun to have it be so easy to dodge attacks, yet still have the difficulty quite large. There are occasions where you have to be so incredibly nimble on your toes to dodge attacks, yet your efforts work out miraculously anyway. It's brilliant! I love it!

The weapons are very interesting. I'm not sure how balanced they are, but the upgrade system is great. The more you use a weapon, the more "skilled" it gets, and will upgrade itself to something considerably more powerful. The L1 lava gun, a crowd-clearer, became a liquid nitrogen stream gun at L5, its maximum. It kills enemies at a rate which is about eight times faster than the L1 version. It kills bosses so quickly.

The intra-mission challenges are very interesting as well. Often times, you'll be asked by your allies to help infiltrate a fortress, take out defense platforms, or defend a position. You earn some cold hard Bolts (cash) while you do this. If you do enough for your allies, they'll give you nice rewards, like an item that reveals secrets on the map, or a warp device. All very nice stuff. You can even paint your ship. (It does nothing, but it's nice nevertheless.)

One of my personal favorite weapons is the fully upgraded shield barrier. Just throw it down on the floor, and it starts to absorb health from all nearby enemies (And the L5's range is SO much greater than the L4 shield's range. It's beautiful to behold it just suck the health out of the WHOLE FRIGGIN ROOM. And it's a HUGE room.) ... and then when it absorbs enough hits, it attacks the enemy right back. Another great weapon is the N90 HURRICANE, fully upgraded. It's like a slightly slower minigun. The damage spreads to other enemies as well.

By far the best weapon in the game though, is the Double Edged Lightsabter. It's actually a "cheat" weapon, achieved by following a lengthy series of clues in the game. It just replaces your melee weapon, a wrench that grabs all the ammo and bolts in the area automatically, (Plus you can throw it a bit when you crouch or enter 1st person mode.) but the lightsaber has a bit of a longer range, and is a lot more powerful. It's leading me right through the game.

There are so many interesting things about this game. Don't think for a moment that it's "childish." You will be surprised at many turns. I sure was.

Thunderbird
02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
My personal favorite weapon in this game (and the two previous ones) is the Suck Cannon :D. Nothing better than using your enemies as ammo.

This is also the first game in the series to have online play, and it seems to use the R&C1 weapons mostly (don't know why).

ShadowTiger
02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Huh, .. ya don't say. Well, it's all new to me anyway. I've never played any other game in the series, but I HAVE heard that Sim Incognito, or whatever his name was, sells most of the original games.

My personal weapon, is either the Flux Rifle, (L5 Sniper, baby. :cool: ) or the N90 HURRICANE, or now, the Liquid Nitrogen Stream gun. But nothing could ever, EVER, top the Double bladed Lightsaber once you get it unlocked. ;)

To get it, pause the game, (The main game menu. Y'know.) the press circle square circle square up down left left. Done. Enjoy.

Blonde799
02-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I love this game.:) I played Going Commando just to get weapons for free on it. It's great that the game is made around both first and third person views(unlike Going Commando), and I switch between them all the time(but I mostly play in FPV). And the difficulty was increased in the right place too, love the challenge. My favorite weapon is the shock cannon. I wish I could play online though, and own everyone.:p

ShadowTiger
02-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Why is your favorite weapon the shock cannon? :odd: It USED to be my favorite weapon, but then the enemies got so very very much more difficult. I have all my weapons except the very later ones (Except the suck cannon - That's on L3, and Agents of doom are on L4. Takes a LONG time for them to upgrade.) set on L5, the maximum, and the Shock Cannon, even on its chargeup mode, (Hold in the fire button for a bit.) doesn't kill anything outright at all anymore. In fact, some of these enemies take at least six direct shots to kill. ... ... The sad thing is, it USED to be MY favorite weapon TOO! :eek: It's such a shame. I didn't even get the N60 until so much later, when I thought I would really need it.

Blonde799
02-22-2005, 06:04 PM
The shock cannon at V5, releases a very powerful charge beam. This at my point in the game(I'm like on the 5/6th planet now), kills most enemies outright(and sometimes I can spread it to reach other enemies). I maxed out most of the weapons I have, but I always resort to the shock cannon usually. It takes out groups, is a decent power level, and I can charge it up to make it even more powerful. It's pretty useful, even if it's not the most powerful wepon in my arsenal.:)

VT_Hokie_Fan
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
RY3NO... get it when you can...

Beat R&C3 twice, and currently working on upgrading all weapons to max

ShadowTiger
02-22-2005, 08:13 PM
And the RY3NO is? O_o

Thunderbird
02-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I would imagine some variation of the RYNO weapons from R&C1 and 2. Expensive bugger, but immensly powerful (the R&C1 version is a 9 barrel nuke launcher).

And it's the only weapon that doesn't apply in the "get previous game weapons for free if game save exists."

ShadowTiger
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Heh. Okay This (http://media.ign.com/thumb/977/977010/ratchet-and-clank-up-your-arsenal-20041028030604580_thumb.jpg) is the spot I'm in right now. This place here, is pretty nasty. The enemy shoots too fast, and you move too slow, and getting into snipe mode to aim the Flux Rifle is far too slow while on the ice. Any tips? ... I have a L5 shield glove, so I should probably use that.

VT_Hokie_Fan
02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Use the Devestator, which u better have at level five. Final boss is a bitch without it.

And the Ry3NO is only available after u beat the game :(.

ShadowTiger
02-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Heh. Shorthand. :p

Which weapon is the Devastator derived from? How may I get it? ... Oh, and should I upgrade the Suck cannon at all? I don't see myself picking up small things. It's just too much of a hassle to have to remember when you're out of ammo or not in the heat of combat.

algam86
03-11-2005, 08:35 AM
What Devastator? That's from RC1. You're probably thinking about the Annihilator/Decimator?

git-r-done
03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
forget the suck cannon It sucks you shouldn't need it at all (no pun intended)

ShadowTiger
03-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Nah, forget about it. :p The deed has already been done. There was a point right before I was about to beat Nefarious for the second time where I had upwards of $5,125,000 bolts. I now have every "mega"weapon, with about 1/3 of them upgraded to L8, except, obviously, the Rynocerous.

Of course, I'm playing Grandia now, so ...

Cloral
03-11-2005, 02:19 PM
I just picked this game up and it is pretty damn sweet. However it is competing for time with Devil May Cry 3 and Wild Arms 2, not to mention a replay of Wind Waker, so I haven't gotten too far into it yet.

Blonde799
03-11-2005, 02:36 PM
BH4, you're always one step ahead of me.:( And DMC3 is the shiznite. I love it when Dante acquired agni and rudra.:laughing:

(BTW, the suck cannon is the most pwerful weapon I have at v5, especially when I need no ammo for it git-r-done, like that username:) )

git-r-done
03-12-2005, 12:24 AM
thanks Blinoe799

Foamy
03-14-2005, 03:29 PM
wow!
I didnt think anyone would like that game, no offince but Ill stick with Jak 3