PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Star Fox Assault

idontknow
02-21-2005, 12:43 PM
What changes/additions would you like to have seen in Star Fox Assault?

My own ideas:

1) Add in like 7 extras missions, one being with a Volcanic Level, another being a desert level like that of SF64, two being underwater with the Blue Marine, another Astroid level, and two misc levels.

2) Using these 7 + original 10 (so 17 levels) there should be a map so that the game is no longer linear, but u still somehow play only 10 missions.

3) Co-Op Mode (for 2 players only) in Adventure Mode (so also rename 'Singles' to 'Adventure')

4) The following characters should be playable in Multiplayer:
--Fox
--Slippy
--Peppy
--Falco
--Krystal [unlock]
--Rob [unlock]
--Star Wolf [unlock]
--Leon [unlock]
--Panther [unlock]
--Billy [unlock]

5) Vary the # of computer allies in some missions--example: In one mission maybe there's Slippy, Falco, & Krystal..in a harder mission with swarms of enemies, perhaps have Slippy, Falco, Krystal AND Peppy. In other missions, there's only one other computer Ally. Also, they should bring back Billy (the bulldog)

Dart Zaidyer
02-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Changes, eh? Oh, I've got some ideas alright...

Add a friggin' star map. Seriously, what's Star Fox without a star map? I'll tell you what it is. It's Rogue Squadron with furries.
Titania, Macbeth, and Venom should have been in this game. Sectors X/Y/Z should also have been, and I feel gypped at not being able to fly inside some of the ships in Andrew's armada to blow up their reactor cores.
More rail-flying segments. Rail-flying is Star Fox's bread and butter, and there's like a grand total of 3 such missions in Assault.
While we're at it, make the rail-flying segments way faster. It seems like the Arwings are cruising along as gently as an old lady on Sunday here, and the booster barely does anything to make a difference. Star Fox 64 had you going faster than this, and the SNES Star Fox had you screaming through the stages at high velocity.
The techno music in Vs. Mode is really a throwback to the SNES Star Fox. The difference is that in the original, techno music was reserved for planetside missions, while space gets the grand orchestra. I would have liked to see that put to good effect in the single-player missions.
Hire a voice director, give the actors a script, and allow them to play off each-other's lines. It sounds like they did none of this for Assault, opting to just give the actors a list of lines and saying, "Here, read these."

Axel
02-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I would have liked having Bill around. But the number of wingmen does change. In the last two Arwing levels (8 and 10) Star Wolf shows up. A starmap would have been nice, but then the mission select screen is also nice (I'd've given anything for that while trying to get that last medal in SF64, on that subject, any suggestions for getting a Sector Z medal?) and you really couldn't have both, could you? (ok, you could) An SF2 style starmap, with you wandering around the map. Or maybe selecting warp destinations from within Great Fox, with new coordinates being unlocked as you progress. The Blue Marine must not have been very popular, or maybe they didn't want a 1 or 2 level craft that would be useless in vs. mode.
Coop would deffinitely have been cool, of course it could only be 2p, because of the levels where Fox stands on someone's wing, 2p could fly the craft. Although I'm sure they prefered the pre-planned path. Plus several levels are Fox alone (the blizard comes to mind) hard to do coop. And since 1p would almost deffinitely have to be always Fox, you'd have 2p locked with Falco wouldn't you? Or you'd have one player choose between 3 options and the other stuck with one guy. Or 2p would alternate depending on the level, so that its the most important wingmen in levels where one shines, and optional on the others.

Despite its failings Assault is still a great game. No game gets everything, and Assault still has alot. Not a whole lot to compare to it.

MottZilla
02-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Assault was alot better than I expected it would be honesntly. But then again my expectations weren't particularly high. Ofcourse the game has room for improvement but perhaps the next star fox game will address those issues. But for now, I'm quite happy with Star Fox Assault. Aside from the lack of multipule paths.

AlexMax
02-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Aside from the lack of multipule paths.

Seriously Namco, what the fuck?

idontknow
02-24-2005, 03:06 AM
I liked the game except it seems like once you play the main story mode once, that's all there is to do--i mean, yes, there's survivor mode, except its the same level & style of gameplay, same with just doing missions...If not a map, there shouldn've at least been like different objectives or different missions for each level of difficulty or the missions should've changed depending on how you accomplished something

Also, in addition to pilot, landmaster, & arwing, there should've been the Blue-Marine. This (submarine) This would've been sweet, especially in multiplayer mode. Also, there should've been at least 10 characters (including unlockables) for multiplayer.

Axel
02-25-2005, 04:06 PM
There are the different difficulty settings and the hidden flags, so there is some replay value.

MottZilla
02-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Indeed, but still, the paths are a key element to the star fox games. I wonder what you get when you get all the flags..

Kry
03-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Actually, you can unlock Star wolf in multiplayer. As for the flags, you get a demon machinegun or something. What I would like to see is more 3rd person shooter levels, 'cause I love that machine gun!

idontknow
03-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Changes to multiplayer:
1) Have three more levles: In one of these two levels, you all play underwater, in a Blue Marine. In two others, you can jump into a Blue Marine Vehicle using Z..pressing X will resurface (just like x is landing an arwing) and only when u resurface and then approach a Dock can you jump out of the blue marine.

2) Players:
--Fox (All Around)
--Slippy (Good Stamina on foot, slow, high jump)
--Peppy (Great on foot and in landmaster, slow)
--Falco (Great Arwing stamina & control)
--Krystal (High health & good control in all machines)
--Bill (Good in Blue Marine)
--Dog Fighter (Good arwing pilot & fast)
--Rob Robot (Good control in all machines & lotsa damage)
--Star Wolf (High health, fast, good control, poor jump)
--Leon (All Around)
--General Pepper (Good in Landmaster)
--Panther (great jump and fastest)

3) Modes of Play (Rules):
--Normal Rules
--Crown Capture
--Enemy Hunter (Play to kill enemies in a level, most enemies/pts w/in the time limit wins)
--machine gun mayhem (all players use machine guns only)
--Bombs Away (Play in Arwings only and you can't use lazers, only bombs that you find)
--Sniper Shoot Out
--Boost Pack Brawl
--Explosion Commosion (Onfoot only, play with Grenades, Rocket launchers, timed mines, & proximity mines only)
--Sure Shot Scuffle
--Amber Arwing (Arwing Battles only: First one to get a kill becomes the "Amber" Arwing--arwing turns goldish--from then on, you must kill that arwing to get points and then become the amber arwing yourself)

MORE TO COME!... :D

Darth Marsden
03-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Honestly..?

Make it like Star Fox 64... just... longer. I can finish that game in almost an hour-an-a-half, and if the play-time for Assault is anything less then 5 hours, I'm gonna be VERY angry.

lord of the pit
03-03-2005, 08:55 AM
I care a little if they change it just if they change it for the best.