PDA

View Full Version : Scratched PSX Game

Cloral
02-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I got a used PSX game from a local retailer, only to find a couple hours in that there is a part that won't load due to a nice scratch. Is there anything that works well for removing scratches, or do I need to take the game back?

Thunderbird
02-18-2005, 09:39 PM
I've heard of disc resurfacing machines, but I'm not sure if they're just in movie rental places.

MottZilla
02-18-2005, 09:48 PM
You can get a "disc doctor" which can help repair scratches that may enable the effected sectors to be read again, maybe not though. It's up to you if you want to try a disc repair device or if you wanna try to exchange it for a different disc.

Cloral
02-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Yeah I've seen those before. I guess what I'm wondering is how well they really work.

vegeta1215
02-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Yeah I've seen those before. I guess what I'm wondering is how well they really work.

I have one, and I think it was a big waste of money. Then again, I haven't really tried it on any un-playable CDs...

Link 101
02-19-2005, 12:55 AM
I think you should just return it, rather than waste time on buying a disk re-surfacer and find it doesn't work. Besides, why should you have to spend money on a disk re-surfacer, it isn't your fault the people at the store didn;t make sure it worked properly.

Saffith
02-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Mild abrasives like toothpaste and furniture polish supposedly work pretty well, at least if it's not too badly scratched. I've heard of car wax working, too. Haven't tried either myself, though.

MottZilla
02-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Well, from what people have said thus far, it seems no one can confirm these disc repair things actually work. Also I forgot to mention, personally, I'd return it because I'd rather have a never damaged disc than one that was "repaired" anyway. Unless you absolutely cannot get ahold of a good condition disc atleast.

AlexMax
02-19-2005, 07:57 PM
There are certain game specialty stores that have special disc resurfacing machines. These DO work.

However, things like Game Doctors are an almost 100% waste of money.

gdorf
02-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I had a disk doctor save my gran turismo '03 disk. It was a pretty hefty scratch, too.

Try taking it to a local blockbuster and have them remove the scratch.

Grasshopper
02-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Take it back. I hate when people trade scratched games in to a store in the first places. I've seen some bad ones too, ones that look like sand paper was taken to them, you can't even see a reflection in them. Most places should have a return policy for stuff like that, so if its not been too long since you've gotten it, you should be able to get your money back.