PDA

View Full Version : Find a New Computer for JJ & Foxy!

J.J. Maxx
02-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Welp, it's about time we upgraded our computer! So we want to buy a new one. But we also really don't have much of a clue. We'll probably just go to Staples or BestBuy and pick one up.

Unless....

One of you techno-saavy, web-surfing muchachos knows where we can get a good deal on a better computer than we currently have.

Here's what we have:

P2 350mhz
160M RAM
52x CD Burner Drive
6G HDD

Okay, so we want something better than that but not completely 2005. We don't plan on playing World of Warcraft or rendering the next big Pixar movie with it.

So let us know where to go to order a new computer! Find us a deal and we'll thank you profusely.

We also already have a monitor, ketboard, mouse, printer and speakers. Don't need those. Just the box. ;-)

Gerudo
02-15-2005, 12:45 AM
just the box?
theres dotdotpc.com, has just the box for ~ 300 bucks... *shrugs*

http://www.dotdotpc.com/productpages/systems-supersaver.htm

(btw, this price is w/o a monitor, but if you wanted it, you'd pay 200 bucks extra -_-)

heres from that page so you dont have to click.

Specifications:
Biostar M7VIG Mainboard
2200+ Sempron CPU
80GB Hard Drive
32MB Video
56k Modem
CD Burner
256MB DDR RAM
Keyboard, Speakers, and Mouse
Add a 17" monitor for only $139!
Add Windows XP Home for only $99!

$279.00

now let everyone tell me that system sucks and find something far superior.

Monica
02-15-2005, 01:12 AM
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dotw_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Here are the Deals of the Week from Dell. Dell hasn't let my family down yet, although I can't find just the computer brain itself on there...

Thunderbird
02-15-2005, 01:14 AM
If you're going to junk the current computer, I'd recommend keeping the burner for the new one.

I'm not one to ask about particular computer parts though.

theplustwo
02-15-2005, 01:18 AM
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_category.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0625491364.11 08444174@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfdadddlgkgmgkcfngcfkmdfondfgf.0&catLevel=1&storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&category=hp_pavilion&aoid=1425

I like the new HP systems better than Dell's. They just look cooler. :)

vegeta1215
02-15-2005, 01:26 AM
http://www.apple.com/macmini

Plus you can use your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
(also be ready to kiss viruses and spyware good bye)

gdorf
02-15-2005, 01:31 AM
If you are willing to build your own, I have almost enough parts for another computer, and would be willing to sell them cheap to a fellow AGN'r. PM me if you're interested.

Parts I have:

Abit Nf7-S motherboard
enermax 420w Power Supply
All-In-Wonder 9600 pro
80gb western digital hard drive (special edition)
assorted cables

You'd have to find the processor and memory, though I know some people who are selling some cheap if you want to take that approach.

Lutraphobiac
02-15-2005, 11:53 AM
(btw, this price is w/o a monitor, but if you wanted it, you'd pay 200 bucks extra -_-)

Ugh 200 bucks extra? I got my 19 inch monitor for 97 dollars. You could probably get a 17 inch for 50 - 60 and 15 for even cheaper.

g.iaroos
02-15-2005, 08:51 PM
depends on how much you want to put on the new computer, but seeing what you currently have ... just about anything will do :tongue:

Dark Nation
02-16-2005, 09:17 AM
www.pricewatch.com has lots of internet deals from several online companies. Just make sure you check a company's rating before ordering from one.

Starkist
02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
www.newegg.com

Pick the parts, have them shipped, and build it yourself. You get exactly what you want without all the crap that HP and Dell think you need. You save money, since you're skipping the middleman. You get to experience the pleasure of building your own system. Plus, NewEgg has a great return policy for defective items.

DsS Game
02-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Depends on what you guys want on the system. I can help you guys but just tell me what you want on it.....

Daywalker

moocow
02-16-2005, 04:45 PM
www.newegg.com

Pick the parts, have them shipped, and build it yourself. You get exactly what you want without all the crap that HP and Dell think you need. You save money, since you're skipping the middleman. You get to experience the pleasure of building your own system. Plus, NewEgg has a great return policy for defective items.

How much did NewEgg.com pay you for this paragraph, Mr. Spokesman? ;) j/k

I just bought an eMachine at Best Buy in like, September, I like it, but doing that is definitely NOT the cheap way to go...

Starkist
02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
NewEgg gave me a free shirt with my order. ;)

I am a strong proponent of avoiding off-the-shelf computers. Dell, HP, Compaq, eMachines... they all build their own custom style computers with a bunch of extra crap nobody cares about. They market their machines as easy to use and try to convince consumers that their products are the top of the computing world. I find them to be evil. My girlfriend's computer is HP and it was a good system, but ran quite slow until I disabled all the HP memory hogging programs that HP decided were "essential'.

My first computer was a Packard Bell when I was eleven and it came with a lot of baggage software, in addition to it's hardware being as proprietary as it can be. The case I bought off NewEgg is as standard as they come, with room for a lot of expansion and I don't have to worry about custom built cards or drives not fitting.

Monica
02-16-2005, 08:29 PM
I agree, HP's do look cooler than Dells, but my grandparents have a very modern HP with specs for today and it gives them problems. My trusty creamy Pentium III runs like a dream since its XP upgrade and it hasn't frozen or needed a restart due to errors since then. (It came with ME which was awful but that's not the Dell's fault) It even took and embraced SP2 with open arms with no compadability issues. Packard Bell was completely and utterly scum. The best thing from PB was the Spiderman Cartoon Maker. (Man I miss that program...)

AlexMax
02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
NewEgg gave me a free shirt with my order. ;)

I am a strong proponent of avoiding off-the-shelf computers. Dell, HP, Compaq, eMachines... they all build their own custom style computers with a bunch of extra crap nobody cares about. They market their machines as easy to use and try to convince consumers that their products are the top of the computing world. I find them to be evil. My girlfriend's computer is HP and it was a good system, but ran quite slow until I disabled all the HP memory hogging programs that HP decided were "essential'.

My first computer was a Packard Bell when I was eleven and it came with a lot of baggage software, in addition to it's hardware being as proprietary as it can be. The case I bought off NewEgg is as standard as they come, with room for a lot of expansion and I don't have to worry about custom built cards or drives not fitting.

This man probably said the meat of what I wanted to say without all of the extra fluff. Just make sure you keep warrenties and stuff like that, because Newegg has the best RMA I've ever seen.

How much money would you be willing to spend on a Best Buy computer? I will take a look around on newegg and price something that matches what you would be willing to spend. I can't guarentee you that it'll be better speced (because Best Buy usually home built with rebates that other people just can't match), but I can guarentee you that I won't try to sell you a a hundred extra dollars of "Service Plan" or in other words, shit you don't really need, and that your computer will actually be easily upgradable.

http://www.apple.com/macmini

Plus you can use your existing monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.
(also be ready to kiss viruses and spyware good bye)

ONE BUTTAN! ONE BUTTAN!

Does the Mac Mini support PS/2 Mice and keyboards? I'm sure that's what foxx and maxx have.

vegeta1215
02-18-2005, 12:50 PM
ONE BUTTAN! ONE BUTTAN!

Does the Mac Mini support PS/2 Mice and keyboards? I'm sure that's what foxx and maxx have.

The Mac Mini and other Macintosh computers only support USB mice and keyboards. :shrug:

You don't have you use Apple's one-button mouse or keyboard though - any USB mouse or keyboard will do. My Dad couldn't get used to the one-button mouse that came with our Power Mac so we just plugged in our regular two-button optical mouse (with scroll wheel) and it works great.

If JJ and Foxy were to consider a Mac Mini, I would suggest buying the Apple keyboard. ($29.00) It's really comfortable and has all the Mac specific buttons on there (volume control, cd/dvd eject, control, option, apple). It also has two extra USB ports on it. For the mouse, if they had a PS/2 one already they could buy a USB adapter, or just buy a new two-button optical mouse for $20.