PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Concert

Solaris_Omega
02-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I am going to a concert that plays nothing but FF music. Its in Chicago on the 19th, I was mainly curious to see if anyone lived in that area or is going?

Ganonator
02-12-2005, 05:40 PM
I was really dissapointed that I'm going to miss the one in SF this year. They're doing it for the first night of GDC (the Game Developers Conference) March 7th. I'll just have to get a recording of it.

Solaris_Omega
02-12-2005, 07:27 PM
If you'd like, I will do a recording and snail mail it to you, or maybe even do an online transfer. I would be crushed if i missed it, so i will try to make you feel better with it. What do you think?

Dark Knight
02-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Bleh, I could theoreticly go. If I had 1) a car b) Money !) Drivers License.
I'll just listen to the black mages. At least It'll make me feel better. =P

Pablo
02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I live in the Chicago area, but I never heard anything about this. Where is it, exactly? What band?

Ganonator
02-12-2005, 09:21 PM
if we could figure something out, i'd be happy as a clam

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-13-2005, 01:43 AM
I'll just listen to the black mages.

My brother just gave me a bunch of music by them a few weeks ago. It's all I've been listening to for days!

I'd love to attend such a concert, but I'm afraid my taste in final fantasy music only extends to the older games, since I haven't really played a final fantasy through since FF6 on my emulators, and last I heard, a large portion of the music was from the latter half of the series. But I'm a sucker for live instrumental performances, so I'd still go if I had the chance. My biggest problem? Michigan isn't exactly the hot spot for gaming concerts.

Rainman
02-13-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm sorry, I mean whatever floats you boat, but I can't see why such a concert exists or why it's attended. :shrug:

Lone Wolf
02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm sorry, I mean whatever floats you boat, but I can't see why such a concert exists or why it's attended. :shrug:

Doesn't make sence to me either.

Zero Wing
02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I am going to a concert that plays nothing but FF music. Its in Chicago on the 19th, I was mainly curious to see if anyone lived in that area or is going?
wish I could go... :(

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Rainman, music is music, whether it comes from video games or from movies or TV shows. In this case, Final Fantasy music is some of the most elaborate and well composed video game music, especially in the earlier age of video games. If there's any music that could be properly translated to an orchestral performace, it's Final Fantasy music. Particularly since the guy who wrote it all (Nobuo Uematsu) is the same guy who's reinterpreting it for the orchestrations and the aforementioned band, The Black Mages.

If you don't care for it, that's fine by me. I just thought I should try and explain it to you.

Gerudo
02-17-2005, 02:03 AM
you should listen to some of the music, Rain. not sure how into the music you are, but its really good, imo.

maybe cause some of us are game music nuts :P

ZTC
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
bah, nothing like that ever happens in Kankakee County... :(
*wishes to go*

since I can't, I'll just have to listen to my CD that has FF music burned to it ;)

ocelot
02-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Yery unique, would be something going there.

automatic
02-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I'm sorry, I mean whatever floats you boat, but I can't see why such a concert exists or why it's attended. :shrug: Because there are innuerable ff-fanboys who would sell their right arm to say they were there. Also, so Square can make some extra dough... off of innumerable ff-fanboys who would sell their right arm to say they were there.

Rainman, music is music, whether it comes from video games or from movies or TV shows. In this case, Final Fantasy music is some of the most elaborate and well composed video game music, especially in the earlier age of video games. If there's any music that could be properly translated to an orchestral performace, it's Final Fantasy music. Particularly since the guy who wrote it all (Nobuo Uematsu) is the same guy who's reinterpreting it for the orchestrations and the aforementioned band, The Black Mages.
Music is music, but video game music is video game music. If you want to hear game music, play the game. If you want to hear a movie score, watch the movie. They were meant to be experienced together.

Frankly, I think the idea of an entire fancy concert hall full of otaku in their anime nerd shirts is kind of funny. Take pictures while you're there, and post them so we can have a chuckle.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the generalization, Auto. The concert hall is never, EVER full of people in anime nerd shirts, because although most of the people in attendance would just as soon dress casual, that's not the appropriate attire for a fancy concert, that much is obvious. Also, we're not all otaku or anime freaks or FF fanboys. Considering your broad appliance of the word, I'd be surprised if you had any idea what otaku even meant if you hadn't learned it from Metal Gear Solid.

Yes, movie scores were meant to be heard during movies, and the same is true for video games. But good music is good music, and good music will hold it's own outside it's native environment.

Gerudo
02-18-2005, 02:54 AM
auto, dont be stupid. :whap:

why do you think they release soundtracks?

and yes, music was meant to be experienced outside its native environment (be it a game, movie, whatever). fyi: i have approximately 11gb of video game music.

automatic
02-18-2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the generalization, Auto. The concert hall is never, EVER full of people in anime nerd shirts, because although most of the people in attendance would just as soon dress casual, that's not the appropriate attire for a fancy concert, that much is obvious. Also, we're not all otaku or anime freaks or FF fanboys. Considering your broad appliance of the word, I'd be surprised if you had any idea what otaku even meant if you hadn't learned it from Metal Gear Solid.

Yes, movie scores were meant to be heard during movies, and the same is true for video games. But good music is good music, and good music will hold it's own outside it's native environment. Hey, no sweat. And no, I learned the term "otaku" from a William Gibson book. The definition they use in MGS is ridiculous, to say the least.

And yeah, good music is good music. Regardless of where it's from... you're right about that. But let's face facts... people are going to see this concert because they're Final Fantasy fans. If the music wasn't from Final Fantasy, then any Final Fantasy fans attending would be entirely coincidental. As it is, any connoissuer of classical music attending (who is not a FF fan) is going to be there only for the novelty. And let me ask you this... when was the last time you were all jazzed up to go see an orchestra that wasn't playing FF music? And no, seeing the Nutcracker with your family at Christmas doesn't count.

auto, dont be stupid. Okay.

why do you think they release soundtracks? I would assume because some people like to hear movie music out of context. The idea is kind of an odd one to me, because musical scores are meant to punctuate the visual elements of a film or game. Without the visual, the piece of artwork is incomplete. It's like someone putting a piece of cardboard over the Mona Lisa, with a hole in it so you can only see the smile.[/QUOTE]
fyi: i have approximately 11gb of video game music. Hey, thanks for the update.
http://img236.exs.cx/img236/4929/themoreyouknow3hu.jpg

Anyway, I really didn't mean to start any sort of flame thing or troll thing. I said what I meant... I think a fancy concert hall full of anime nerds would be funny. Even if that's not what really goes on, I still think it would be funny. If my sweeping generalization of "otaku in their anime nerd shirts" is what's offensive... well, by definition, an otaku is partly nerd, and partly obsessed with anime, and probably owns more than one anime t-shirt. Just to let everyone know, I'm not entirely excluding myself from this category. I'm one of the biggest nerds I know, and yes, I like anime. I apologize if I ruffled anyone's feathers.

{DSG}DarkRaven
02-19-2005, 01:09 AM
I'd go see this, and I'm not a hardcore final fantasy fan. I picked up Dawn of souls a few weeks ago because I was desperate for some RPG action, not because I have posters of the girls from FFX2. I've only beaten one Final fantasy game ever, and that's FF1 on the aforementioned Dawn of Souls. I happen to have a great appreciation for instrumental music, and coupled with my love for video games, I can't say anyone with my tastes could go wrong with this particular concert.

It's also worth noting that concerts like this are not always cheap, and as for myself, I hate going out alone. But the few concerts I have been to in my life are some of the best memories I can recall. There's nothing like being a live witness to the skill of a seasoned orchestra, and if they're playing music written by japanese geeks, so much the better.