PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Auto Format - Good or Bad?

DarkPanther
02-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Anyone who's used iTunes has been asked during setup if they wanted iTunes to auto-format and categorize the files and folders. I was wondering if this works well or not.

My current set up is 95% as follows:

"My Music" folder
>Artist Names
>>Artist's Albums
>>>Music from the Album

Make sense? I like it like that, but I'd assume it'd set it up similarly and fix the albums I haven't had time to format properly myself (as far as name, album art, etc.)? I just don't want it to do something stupid. I remember someone on here being pissed b/c it formatted all his in a way he didn't want. But most of mine are set up as albums anyways so.... am I an iTunes friendly candidate or not? Anyone familiar with it?

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
It probably uses ID3 tags in the MP3s to determine the information. I let WMP automatically "fix" my tags for me for a while and the only problem that arises is if your song has multiple versions or is on multiple albums, it can get mislabeled and piss you off. I eventually turned off all that junk because I didn't like it.

vegeta1215
02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
We have iTunes on our Mac, but we don't have enough music files to really see what the cateorization can do. Plus I don't use iTunes that much for anything other than playing CDs.

Thunderbird
02-10-2005, 04:44 PM
iTunes does indeed do it that way, using the ID3 tags like Atma mentioned. If you adjust a tag that results in a file needing to be moved, iTunes will move the file to the correct spot. It also deletes empty folders as well :).