PDA

View Full Version : Tails

Mitsukara
02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Most of you have probably noticed an odd little seemingly-useless bone just below the back of your waist by now. Or at least you read a book written by someone who had read a few books by some guy who supposedly did some research that proves there's one there. Or something like that.

You've probably also noticed most of us don't seem to be using it.

So, what if we were? What would it be like having a tail- would it be like another sensory organ, perhaps? Just a big feely thingy? Or what exactly? Would they grow hair? How much? How long? Flat (like most of your body hair- tending to curl and have a courser texture), or like the hair on your head?

Maybe you could pick things up with it, or climb- like a monkey. Sort of a third arm. Maybe it'd be more like a cat or dog's tail, sort of expressing your thinking process or mood. Not to mention all the "mating" ramifications.

The real question is, how would you feel about having one? Would, or do, you want one, or do you think it's just fine the way it is? Or are you indifferent, perhaps? What do you think it would be like, or how could/would you use it/want to use it? How would it impact your life?

And then there's all the clothing differences you'd see. There's have to be an opening of some kind in any pants, skirt, long jacket- jackets and shirts might be made with "tails" and a split up the middle, like a tuxedo or trenchcoat, perhaps. Chairs might also need to allow somehow- and toilets. And car seats, and themepark rides.

As for me, I'm perfectly fine not having one, but it wouldn't be all that bad, at least in concept. I'd like it better aesthetically if it was totally covered in hair, thickly- maybe bushy, or a with long straight hair on it, like a horse's. It'd be great if I could use it like a third hand for things- we could all use one a lot of the time. It'd be nice if it were about 2 1/2 feet long or so, I think.

As an expression of emotion, it would be nice in a sense, and dangerous in a sense- if you need to lie or hide something, you have to control your tail or it might give you away. the same applies even more so to your face, though, and we all have one of those.

So what do you think?

Masamune
02-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Jeez, Jen. I thought you were bringing up ancient history. ;p

I wouldn't mind having a tail. Just as long as it has hair and I can move the whole thing like a monkey tail. Not a dog tail! Dog tails are teh suck.

phattonez
02-10-2005, 12:19 AM
I would see it as an inconvenience. Sitting down with a tail? What about going to something formal, would we cover it up or let it loose? It would just be too much of a hassle.

Maleficent
02-10-2005, 12:54 AM
well outside of Primates tails are mainly used to maintain balance while moving by landlocked animals. The Primates we are closly related to dont have tails... so if we did have them it was a long long long way back down the line.

On the other hand if we did have tails, i would most certainly want it to be prehencile, and at least as long as our legs if not longer. If we did have tails furniture would have always been designed diferently to compensate for them, same goes for clothing so thats not really a big deal i think. The part of sexual uses would be interesting...... I dont know about the hair part, if we were going to use it to do things the hair might get in the way. Then it might get cold easy and all that.

VEL
02-10-2005, 12:56 AM
I think it would be kinda cool to have a tail. If I had one, I think I would like one like Trance Gemini's from Andromeda. It could be usefull at certain times, and fun. If I was the only one to have a tail I don't know if I would want one then, I would probably get some pretty weird reactions in public like "OMG she has a tail, she will kill us all with it!".

Ganonator
02-10-2005, 02:49 AM
I guess I don't know. I take things as they come. I'd rather have opposable toes instead of a tail.

I'm considering how i'm slouching on the couch right now, there's no way i could sit like this with a tail (with the same level of comfort).

It would probably be like a monkey's tail, long, curly, controlable. They would be sexy. and totally unlike Shallow Hal, they would be covered in hair.

Lutraphobiac
02-10-2005, 03:18 AM
I would not like a tail because it doesn't have the cool factor of giving me extra abilities. Unless it could wrap around limbs to allow me to hang, but I don't think it would be worth the ridicule.

Glitch
02-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Jeez, Jen. I thought you were bringing up ancient history. ;p

I thought the same thing...

About having a tail now, I think it would personally be retarded. I think it would get in the way of about everything you do in daily life.

DsS Game
02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
It be stupid an weird honestly. I dunno. Sitting on it would be a pain. Putting on clothes would be a pain. Everything you normally do would be altered.

Daywalker

Archibaldo
02-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Having a tail would be awesome. But only if every one else had one too. Because then you wouldn't be ridiculed fot it. The only problem with having one is that people would try to pull each others as a way of bullying.

AtmaWeapon
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I think the people considering how it would get in the way are very silly. Every piece of technology we have created has been based upon the fact that we have two eyes, two arms, and two legs. When a person is missing one or more of these appendages, we have special technology to help them compensate. What's to say that if we had tails since the beginning, we would not have adapted technology to accomodate for it? The primary modification to current technology is simply placing a hole in the back support of most chairs, something that is already done with folding metal chairs.

Aside from that, I see nothing but chances for improvement if our tail were prehensile. It would be similar to having a third hand, and I can imagine special controllers for video games, extra sticks on airplanes, and many other "improvements" to current technology that would arise if we had the tail.

However, all of these are interface improvements. Because we do not have a tail, we do not make those improvements. I don't think technology would be better, I just think it would be different.

mrz84
02-10-2005, 11:37 PM
I've known about having a tail for awhile. yes I would like one. a cat tail. and while we're at it, add cat ears where mine would be and cat claws instead of hands! cat-hybrids unite! *everyone stares at him akwardly...* or maybe not...

Rijuhn
02-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I'd much rather have wings or a third eye or an extra hand that comes of from behind my head so I can secretly flick people off, ahahaha. But seriously, I'd get a tail just to have one.

Axel
02-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Of all the improvements I'd make to the human race, tails don't factor very high. Still it'd be nice to be able to grab things or hang from things with it. On the other hand our ancestors lost their tails as they developed, so who knows what other changes might be included in our physiology if the tails were never lost?

automatic
02-14-2005, 05:10 AM
I love Tails!

http://img142.exs.cx/img142/1487/tails3pa.gif

Oh, and that little bone is called a coccyx. I don't know why I know that. Maybe public school isn't totally useless, after all...