PDA

View Full Version : CD-RW Long-Term Usage:

ShadowTiger
02-06-2005, 02:27 PM
We've been having a few technical troubles with CD-RW's lately. Aside from cross-program interests, such as "InCD" and "Nero" interacting SOMEHOW, (I seriously have no idea how though.) I was wondering how long CD-RW's can function.

I don't use CD-RW's for long term storage, like a backup or something. I generally use them like large portable 3.5 discs. They're so useful for that. I also have a 128 MB portable USB Jumpdrive, but we sorta can't find any USB hubs on the back of our PII. XD *lol* So that's out.

Is there any known problem with using CD-RW's frequently as a method of shipping data from computer to computer, rather than as long-term storage? Does it have an infinite amount of uses?

Thank you! ^_^

firebug
02-06-2005, 07:16 PM
as far as i know, CDRWs have about 1000 rewrites to them. the more you use them, the more likely the data will be corrupted.. but it would probly take quite awhile to use up 1000 writes before the disc itself got scratched or something. :shrug:

vegeta1215
02-06-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm going to buy some archival quality CD-Rs to make long lasting backups of my files, but for now I use two CD-RWs to make regular backups every now and then. I use one, and then the next time use the other. (that way if the write fails, I won't lose what I had before)

AtmaWeapon
02-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I used CD-RWs once and found that after about 4 months they'd get corrupted. They were el cheapo Radio Shack CD-RWs but it was enough to turn me off to the things forever. Now I either use a flash drive or just burn stuff to CD-Rs since they are cheap.

ZTC
02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I've been using a single CD-RW disc for listing to my mp3 collection for a good number of months, I haven't had any problems so far