PDA

View Full Version : StarFox : Assault!

MottZilla
02-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Mmm... Star Fox. I know the game isn't out yet, but rental places have it for rent before it hits the stores. So who here has played the game? Possible spoilers and stuff ofcourse, so beware.

I have, and I love it. All of the Star Fox games (excluding adventures which doesn't count at all). Star Fox Assault picks up gameplay wise where Star Fox 64 left off. One thing I like is how certain levels that have ground to walk on, you can exit vehicles and get into another one, or go on foot. Not to mention most of the levels are pretty big and fun to blast through. I also like to get out on the hood of my ArWing while it's flying around in the sky. The Landmaster was a bit disappointing I must say. It fires quite slow, it's not that manuverable. On foot isn't bad though, you get a few different weapons and it's nice to be able to abandon a near death vehicle and get a new one rather than be stuck in something till you're killed in it.

The graphics are pretty good. I really like how the ArWings looks, as well as Star Wolf's fighters. Most all ofthe graphics are good quality and well placed together. The music wasn't too great but not bad either, and there were some themes from Star Fox 64, like the mission complete theme. Multiplayer look nice. You get a hell of alot more arenas than you did in Star Fox 64, which had like 2 arenas. You unlock the arenas by beating levels.

Anyway, I urge any Star Fox fan or anyone that just liked Star Fox to play this game ASAP. I'm certainly enjoying it, I just wish I could get some people to crush in 4 way multiplayer.

idontknow
02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Sweet!

Questions:
1) How many levels do you play through?
2) How long did it take (timewise) to beat the game once?
3) Is there a planet map and different paths you can take for a non-linear game, similar to that of SF64?
4) Can you choose your characters for multiplayer, or is controller 1 always star fox, two is always another player such as slippy, and so on? And if you can choose your character, what character(s) can you choose?
5) What is your favorite level called that you've played so far? Please describe it.

vegeta1215
02-04-2005, 01:02 PM
I had the original Starfox for the SNES and regret selling it :( It was a great game. I played Starfox 64 and remember liking it. I thought the Landmaster Tank was pretty cool - strafing left and right with it to avoid damage was fun. I've never played Starfox Adventures - after I heard it was an action/adventure game I was kind of turned off (plus everyone says there are too many things to collect in the game, which would drive me nuts since I'm a completionist)

I'm going to try Starfox: Assault before I make a commitment to buy it. They have a good section on it in this months Nintendo Power and it looks neat, but it sounds like it's a very short game :(

Dart Zaidyer
02-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Do you get to fly inside capital ships and blow up their reactors in this game? That's one thing I loved in the original Star Fox that I miss doing in Star Fox 64.

MottZilla
02-05-2005, 02:32 AM
No to going inside capital ships.

Anyway, the difference, which could be good or bad, is in this game there is no space maps allowing multipule paths. Instead there are 10 missions you go through. Time to beat the game, uh, I'm not sure. 2-3 hours maybe? Depends on the difficulty and what not afterall.

Multiplayer, you do choose characters which have unique stats, including health, speed, jump power, arwing skill, landmaster skill. Also there are unlockable things to be had. Beating levels in the games unlocks areas for multiplay. Doing well in levels can unlock certain things. Playing alot of multiplayer can unlock things.

Favorite level? I'm not sure... My favorite music theme is, minor spoiler, the star wolf theme.

mrz84
02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
i loved (and still have) the original Star Fox as well as Star Fox 64, I never bought Adventures because fighting with a staff? ya....right.....anyways..... I think this one will be a must. *puts new Star Fox game on wish list*

Orion
02-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Eh... I've been looking forward to this one, but from what I've heard it isn't that great. Of course I'll try it (I never let a review decide whether or not i'll get a game), but a lot of what I've read about it says that the majority of the ground-based levels (which is supposedly the majority of the game) don't play the best. It's awesome that they tried to add a new dynamic to the series, but I was hoping it would be done better and that flying would still be the most predominant thing you do. Then again, thats only what the reviews say...

I am kinda dissappointed to hear that there is only one path, too. I thought half the fun of the previous Star Fox games (I really dont consider SFA to be a Star Fox game) was trying to figure out how to go about different paths.

Either way, I'll still deffinetly rent this one. Its Star Fox, so I have to try it. I just don't think I could spent $50 on a game that lasts only 2-3 hours.

Vagla
02-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I really wish they'd release Star Fox 2 for GBA, or at least take elements of it and implement them into the next Star Fox game. SF2 is my favorite SF game, though I've not yet played Assault and thus don't know how it stacks up against that, but I expect SF2 to be better. The underground areas are simply awesome, in my opinion. ^_^

Axel
02-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I was already thinking about getting Assault. One of my brothers gets Nintendo Power, when he told me that it has Star Wolf, that decided it.
One thing though: The sub doesn't make an appearance? I kinda liked the water level in SF64.

mrz84
02-10-2005, 11:15 PM
the Blue Marine (the sub from SF64) rocked. to bad the only other water level in that game had to be an arwing level. I would have liked to fight the boss of that stage unde water. :kawaii:

Axel
02-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Update: rented the game on friday, blew away my weekend. Played through story mode on Bronze and Silver difficulties. Awesome. Still trying to get all the Bronze medals though, halfway there. Its amazing. No blue marine, but the foot combat rocks. And I discovered my favorite multiplayer level: the warp gate. So many places to fly, so little time....