PDA

View Full Version : Light Guns/Light Gun Games

Mitsukara
01-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Most of you have probably heard of, if are not personally famliar with, the NES Zapper (be it gray or orange). Now, from everything I can tell, there seems to be a whopping two games that use this once-expensive pice of paraphenilia; Duck Hunt (often printed on the same cart with Super Mario Bros.; later packaged with SMB and World Class Track Meet) and some sort of game called Alleyway Shootout or something, where you try to shoot mobsters and not white ladies or something (kind of like GTA in reverse). If anyone has more information on this game, I would love to hear about it...

Anyway, I really have to wonder, are these definately, really completely the only two zapper games?? It seems like such a waste to create and sell them so you can play two games. Were there more in Japan that never made it to the US, perhaps?

Then there's my favorite, the SNES Super Scope. This gray plastic bazooka is infamous for some reason I don't understand, because frankly I think it's neato burrito and went out and bought one (two, technically, but there's only one reciever... old lady auctioneers) on eBay. I also found many copies of Super Scope 6, one in particularly good condition, and I got a good-condition copy of Yoshi's Safari- probably the most popular Super Scope game made, from the sounds of things. There's nothing quite like the feeling of watching Yoshi's neck bounce up and down way in front of you while you sit on his shell (which usually feels oddly like the floor or furniture) and blast away at various Mushroom Kingdom bad dudes with your bazooka turbo-machine gun as you travel through an amazing mode-7 enhanced world full of realism and giant pixels seen from an angle.

In fact, I'm so fond of my super scope that I'm desperate enough to play and (sort of) enjoy (parts of) Super Scope 6. Blastris Type B and Mole Patrol aren't half bad, nor is that thing where the alien spaceships approach the camera and move off the sides of the screen and stuff and com back magically enlarged. Then there's that great plain-ship one where you fly around in an amazing Mode 7 sky and get blown up. And there's Blastris Type A, here you act smart, pretend you have some idea of how the game works, and say "I almost had it!!!" when the game suddenly stops and says "game over" for some reason. And then there's that missile one that's as fun and entertaining as constipation without any bathroom books.

So, I'm looking for some new games to get for my awesome Peripheral- preferably the less they actually depend on the scope's specific aiming, the better, because the old ladies apparently lost both of the scopes, so I have more of a super scopeless. For Yoshi's Safari this works great, calibrate it the right way and you can just hold it in font of you like an AK-47 or something.

Anyway, I'm looking to find a complete list of these games and looking for reccomendations on them- I'd like to actually have more than 2- oh excuse me, 7!!!!11 super scope games to play with my super scope. I've heard of Battleclash and some Terminator 2 game that can use it in some odd way (but desn't revolve around the super scope).

Now, as far as I know, the super scope was the last light gun nintendo has made thus far. Is this correct, or were there any N64 light guns/new Gamecube light guns/ plans floating around? What about non-Nintendo systems- I undersand the Genisis had a pretty interesting thingy.

Now, what they need to make is a Gameboy light gun. Imagine the possiblities. Instead of the "Zapper" or "Super Scope", it could be the "Spy Shooter" or something, and be designed to look like a pen only gray with a big orange tip and a big purple button that says FIRE on it in italics. Imagine Duck Hunt GBC (on the SMBDX pack!), Yoshi's Safari Advance. The difficulty of aiming is far more difficult because it wouldn't pick up the signal sometimes, giving it real challenge!!!!

NESLolo32
01-24-2005, 11:47 PM
and some sort of game called Alleyway Shootout or something, where you try to shoot mobsters and not white ladies or something (kind of like GTA in reverse). If anyone has more information on this game, I would love to hear about it...
Hogan's Alley, what a great game...
It was really fun in the arcades.
There were some other good zapper games.

Wild Gunman
Shooting Gallery
Operation Wolf (I think)
Chiller (Wait, are you talking about good zapper games?)

Thunderbird
01-24-2005, 11:48 PM
When I got my NES WAAAAYYYY back when, the back of the instructions to hook it up had information for several games on it. I recall 2-3 Zapper games, and neither of the two you mention come to mind. Can't think of what they were though, long since lost that thing.

Gerudo
01-24-2005, 11:50 PM
the main game i played was Metal Combat (Battleclash's sequel). awesome game.

the Zapper and SS6 were good concepts, but never really taken advantage of.

vegeta1215
01-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Chiller (Wait, are you talking about good zapper games?)

I remember playing Chiller in the arcade! I never knew they made a console version of it though. In the arcade it used a full size rifle light-gun as the controller. You basically had all these rooms from a haunted house, and you shot things and watched what happened, racking up points, kind of like a shooting gallery. It wasn't that great of a game, but it was fun.

DsS Game
01-25-2005, 02:54 AM
i actually thought u were talking about a game board or something that tournaments use to play games like x-men vs. street fighter and such.

The only game i had with the gun was Duck Hunt. Still my fav to this day.

Daywalker

MottZilla
01-25-2005, 03:39 AM
There were a few Super Scope games only released in japan. Metal Combat and Battle Clash really were the best there was to play. Although Super Scope 6 really did rock. As for lightgun games, Sega Saturn had some like Virtua Cop, PSX had Time Crisis, PS2 however, has Time Crisis 3, with a quality Namco made gun I believe. I would highly recommend Time Crisis 3 for PS2. I've always loved Time Crisis 2 in the arcade with the high quality cabinets. You know the ones, huge, 2 cabinet by eachother linked. The full stand with the petal and Namco light guns with the kick back action when you shot.

I also was amused at Crisis Zone or something like that, which had something like a rifle rather than a handgun I believe.

Pablo
01-25-2005, 06:57 PM
I also was amused at Crisis Zone or something like that, which had something like a rifle rather than a handgun I believe.
Crisis Zone has big blue submachine gun. There's a machine at the GameWorks near my house. :D

Has anyone ever played L.A. Machineguns? My friend and I have built up a cult following around this game. The light gun is so big it can't be lifted, and it sits on a pivoting platform on top of the machine (I'd say it's about 3 feet long) and it vibrates like a dildo gone mad every time you shoot, which is constantly because this game is too cool for reloading. By the time you've beaten the game, which takes maybe half an hour, your hands (both of them, one to shoot and one to keep the thing on target) have cramped beyond belief and you're flying on a massive adrenaline rush. It's absolutely fucking amazing.

Blonde799
01-25-2005, 08:11 PM
the main game i played was Metal Combat (Battleclash's sequel). awesome game.
OMG you played it too? Those were awesome games, I got the SS just for those games, and played them for years. I remember the cheats for those things, and how I got the controller to do 'em when I didn't know the codes.:p

g.iaroos
01-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Hogan's Alley, what a great game...
It was really fun in the arcades.
There were some other good zapper games.

One of my friend bought this about 2 months ago for 5 bucks. Was really funny :P