PDA

View Full Version : National Languages

Monica
01-24-2005, 02:59 PM
I got the idea for this topic from another board. A lot of Immagrants enter countries (sometimes illegally) and they expect to get jobs and be accepted without learning the main language of the country. I am thinking about Mexicans in the US here, but I'm sure there are others. Instead of them learning English, I believe some people expect us to learn Spanish to make them more comfortable. Isn't that a little backwards? (correct me if I'm wrong on them wanting us to learn it...)

I've never experianced this but I've heard of people going to bookstores and fast food places and the people there didn't speak English. To me that seems very awkward and very very strange.

I know America is a melting pot, and I'm NOT trying to insult any immagrents, but it just seems like common descensy for them to learn the main language either before or after they get to the new country. It's rather rude to expect the natives to change for you. If I was moving to Japan or wherever, I'd deffinately try and learn the langauge. They don't need to speak it flawlessly, but enough for curtousy's sake and so both them and the natives wouldn't have communication problems. What do y'all think?

Oh and it's perfectly acceptable for them to still speak their own langauge, I'm just saying they should learn the new one to function better in society.

Rainman
01-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Learning spanish would be beneficial because it would help in the communication. But otherwise I agree with you. Immigrants should learn the primary language of the country they moved to. My grandparents were immigrants and they certainly never expected america to change for them. Some of my relatives actually didn't learn much english, however they just relied on other for communication.

Despite this we should keep in mind how difficult learning another language can be especially as an adult. Learning language skill you become an adult takes a lot of work. Especially if you happen to be surrounded by a group of people that speak your native language. I mentioned in the other topic that the children of these immigrants tend to have a much better time learning the language because they group up with it. Knowing this, I don't think that you have to worry about the spanish language taking over. Even if the immigrants themselves never learn english, their kids will undoubtedly learn it.

g.iaroos
01-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Same here. I think it is a priority for immigrants to learn the language spoken in the country the goes to. It is totally logical for people coming for example in the US, to speak english so that everyone speak english, instead of all American trying to learn spanish, portugese, chinese, japanese ... that would be insane :scared:

Archibaldo
01-24-2005, 03:57 PM
I think it is weird for immigrants to ask others to learn their language. But most people should know two languages. Here in Canada most schools teach english and french. You don't have to know french but here in quebec it helps if you do.

slothman
01-24-2005, 04:10 PM
In fact other languages are one of the few signs to me that someone is foreign. Second ones are good as well but if I am in a non-english speaking country, except for a vaction, I will at least try to learn.
Now if I can only find a place that speaks Latin so I can use it. OR a place that only uses the word "yes." I do know it is 7 languages.

g.iaroos
01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I think it is weird for immigrants to ask others to learn their language. But most people should know two languages. Here in Canada most schools teach english and french. You don't have to know french but here in quebec it helps if you do.

On my god. Someone who is actually living in Quebec like me :D Glad to meet you Archibaldo

Axel
01-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Everyone should know a second language, even if you don't end up using it the excercise is beneficial in itself. And considering the multinational aspects of the world today, knowing how to speak something other than English would most likely come in handy.

Manny
01-24-2005, 09:24 PM
This is coming from someone who has lived in other countries. Learning a language isn't easy. Especially when you're thrown in situations where every around you speaks a different language and you can't understand a damn thing. A wall in communication is extremely frustrating and often times hard to break. It's not so much these people expect you to learn their language for them. It can take several months to be able to speak a language well. I know people that have lived in brasil for 20 years and they still speak with a paraguayin spanish accent.
Some people just can't learn other langauges. Give them a break. You can't imagine what's its like to be in another place without being able to speak your mother language and when ever someone else speaks it just gets more and more confusing. And sometimes when you think you start understanding you'll realise you're only a fraction of the way there.
Now i do understand what you mean. I have relatives that are "off the boat" and only hang out with the family and speak portuguese with family and barely speak a drop of english.
It's true that they should learn the language, but for some it's just too difficult, especially if they're with family. Trust me, it's not as easy as it seems.
But I love languages. I speak spanish, portugues, english and danish from my travels. I speak them more or less fluently, except danish which i'm only okay at. So hard to keep up one state of mind though, so your non-mother languages can be forgotten easily. okay i feel like i'm rambling now.
in summary,
yes i do understand and agree with what you say Monica, but it's not quite that simple, and you should cut them a lil slack. It's true though, that if they're working they should at least be able to speak the basics of the language.
peace love,
-manny

Ich
01-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Since you were looking for a second example, Monica, there are a number of Turks emigrating to Germany for a better life. Troubles of course ensue because not only there is resistance, but also the memories of the Nazis are still in people's minds, even sixty years later, and anybody who resists is labeled as a sieg-heiler.

Monica
01-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Since you were looking for a second example, Monica, there are a number of Turks emigrating to Germany for a better life. Troubles of course ensue because not only there is resistance, but also the memories of the Nazis are still in people's minds, even sixty years later, and anybody who resists is labeled as a sieg-heiler.

Ahhh, so the Turks expect Germany to learn their language? Even with Nazism, that's still strange, because nowadays Germany is just a regular country and if they come to their country they need to adapt.