PDA

View Full Version : making video games

havethenerve
01-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know it there is a program like ZC but with 8bit color not 4bit, full scrolling like in link to the past, has more features, and it's for making video games not just ZC quest? I would be willing to pay up to $50 for a program like that.

Dark Nation
01-21-2005, 09:51 AM
ZC itself is 8-bit. The sprites, granted, are 4-bit, but the game uses 8-bit color. If you want something with more colors, you might want to try something like RPGMaker. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard it's very good.

g.iaroos
01-21-2005, 02:36 PM
RPGMaker is actually a very good program if you want to make RPGs. It's one of the best option you can get. However, like all game creation program, it has it's limitation and I have found out I did not have enough control on the calculations, like how damage is done and stats and such ... so I stopped doing RPGs :tongue:. In fact I never really finished one :rolleyes:

MottZilla
01-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Learn C/C++ or any half decent language and learn to code yourself. You then won't be bound by any program limitations if you put your mind to it. If you wish to buy a program capable of such, check out BlitzBasic.com. BlitzBasic is a powerful yet BASIC language development enviroment. It's really quite nice for a beginner, and BlitzMax which is due out in the near future will have many things for the more advanced users to enjoy, as well as the less advanced.

havethenerve
01-22-2005, 05:14 AM
I don't want to have to learn how to program. That would take to long and if I was to take the time to learn how to program I wouldn't make a 2-D game I would make a 3-D game. And I don't want to make a RPG.
I like how ZC is put together it makes it easy to make a game and not know how to program. But ZC does not have a big enough pallet, does not have the option of making animations for making weapons/magic/items/, does not have eight way movement drections, has a low resolution, you can't talk to people/objects and a few more things I can't think of right now.

MottZilla
01-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Try "OpenZelda". It's a project that's aim is to clone Zelda 3. It supports higher detail and other such options you ay desire and I believe has a scripting system that is supposed to make nearly anything possible.

jesusfreak
01-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Does DX also run with 4bit sprites??