PDA

View Full Version : No More Files

automatic
01-18-2005, 09:49 PM
So, I've been wracking my brain over this problem since this morning... Whenever I right-click my Desktop, and select "New Folder," I get this little gem:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ej_younger/Error_Message.JPG

No more... what? You've got to be kidding me. The last file has been created. There will not be another. The universe has reached it's limit on files. We will just have to make do with the ones we already have.

No more files. You're done. Finished.

No more files. Neener-neener.

Seriously, though, this is also happening when I try to create a new txt document, a new bmp document... anything listed under the "New" context menu. Oddly enough, I can create new folders and files inside of other folders, just not on my Desktop.

For the love of God and all that is Holy, does anyone have any idea what could cause this error message? I have searched all over the web for the past six hours, including all of Microsoft's "Knowlege Base" (and I use the term loosely), and have found nothing on this error except some irrelevant stuff related to AFS clients.

Please, can anyone help? There will be no more files until you do.

Reznik Akime
01-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Thats a new one on me. Ive never seen such a thing. o_o

Should it even matter how many files you have to even make a folder? Maybe you have too much on yer desktop.. But I never heard of a file or folder limitation on the desktop. o_O

Jigglysaint
01-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Perhaps you need to start making backups and then do a reformat or somthing.

automatic
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Perhaps you need to start making backups and then do a reformat or somthing.
Yikes, that would suck.

Actually, after several hours of hitting my head against this problem, I just called a friend who's in the know. He took over my comp by remote (it was kind of neat watching my mouse click on stuff without me moving it) and had the problem fixed in ten minutes. When I asked what it was, he wouldn't tell me, but at this point I really don't care. It's fixed, that's all that matters.

Damned strange, though. No more files. What the hell?

DsS Game
01-19-2005, 02:31 AM
Odd.... This is something I've never encountered before. Possibly backing stuff up and deleting some files might work? I really don't know.

Daywalker

Dark Nation
01-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Try the same operation on a folder inside your hard drive. If you don't get the error message, that means that your Desktop folder has too many files in it, not the hard drive. If that's the case, move some of the files/folders from your desktop to someplace else.

ShadowTiger
01-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Is something locked? I had a fairly similar error at one time or another, and after some vigorous hair-pulling, I started random right-clicking, searching for the answer, .. and I found that somehow, one of the Folders (I accidentally typed forums. XD ) became locked. I think it was in Properties. Good luck Automatic. :)

g.iaroos
01-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Try the same operation on a folder inside your hard drive. If you don't get the error message, that means that your Desktop folder has too many files in it, not the hard drive. If that's the case, move some of the files/folders from your desktop to someplace else.

Is that really possible, I once had like 250 files on my desktop (it was waaaay overloading the screen if you know what I mean) and I never had this kind of problem.

Anyways, anyone should consider cleaning up their computer desktop once in a while. It just doesn't looks good to see a bucnh of crap eveywhere on your screen when you open it. Feels like I'm entering in my bedroom and everything's on the floor :tongue:

theplustwo
01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
You might want to let people know what version of Windows you are running when you get a weird error like this. From your screenshot it looks like it's probably 98, at which point I would say you should use an OS that is less than eight years old.

automatic
01-19-2005, 06:08 PM
You might want to let people know what version of Windows you are running when you get a weird error like this. From your screenshot it looks like it's probably 98, at which point I would say you should use an OS that is less than eight years old.
I have XP, but I hate the way default XP looks, so I use the "Classic Windows 2000" setting.

Anyway, it wasn't that I had too many folders or files on my desktop... I keep it fairly clean. And yeah, I could create new folders inside of other folders, but again, it wasn't because of desktop clutter (the same error was happening on the two other profiles on this computer). I think it might have had something to do with a Windows update failing... maybe. I don't really know. All I do know is my friend Cameron spent ten minutes with the computer and the issue was resolved, after I had spent six hours trying myself. And he won't tell me what he did to fix it. What a bastard.

This whole desktop issue has given me the idea to start a "post your desktop" thread, though. I think I'll go do that now...