PDA

View Full Version : New Computer?

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-15-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm possibly getting a new computer, and I don't know what type I should get. I cabn't spend too much money because my family isn't too rich, but I want to be able to play modern games(maybe even Doom 3 or Half-Life 2). If you know of a special offer or just any suggestions then let me know. TIA

phattonez
01-15-2005, 07:12 PM
If you want to play Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, try building your own computer. That way you know you get all the best parts for those games.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I tried to build a Bot(alienware), but it ended up being $1000 without a monitor or a printer. :(

Reznik Akime
01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
If you wouldnt mind recycling some parts... (Depending on how old they are and how they excell performance wise) You may be better off making a new one. This last september I got a new monitor and a new video card (Nvidia 6800NU which I made an ultra. A $250 card made into a $400+ one) and I was going to use the harddrive and dvd drive I have in this one here in the new one I planned on building, and I had me a badass system with water cooling even for less than $700.. But then.. I dont figure thats cheap.

Bah, Im just too much of a performance guy. Look up on newegg for parts and sites like www.ocforums.com or www.xtremesystems.org. Ask around there for whats good for the budget gamer.

Ah, And since you already posted, what we mean (Or atlest I believe phattonez means as well) is to build your computer from the ground up by buying each component individually.

Pablo
01-15-2005, 07:22 PM
How much are you thinking in terms of a base price? That would help out a lot.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-15-2005, 07:28 PM
under 900, but 1000 might be okay
I found this comp at Gateway (www.gateway.com) and I want to know how good this computer is(for gaming mostly)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2

Application Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2005 - including Microsoft® Word and Encarta

AntiVirus Software: Norton AntiVirus 90 day introductory offer

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 520 (2.8GHz)

Chipset: Intel® 915G Chipset

Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM PC3200 (400MHz), Dual Channel

Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA100 7200rpm hard drive

Floppy Drive: 8-in-1 media card reader

Optical Drive: 16x Double-Layer Multi-Format DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW)

Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Desktop Value Service Plan -- 3 year parts/labor/no on-site/3 year technical support

Case: Gateway 6-Bay Mid-Tower Case

Controller: Integrated Ultra ATA Controller

Expansion Slots: (1) PCI-E x16 Expansion Slot, (1) PCI-E x1, (2) PCI in which 1 is available for use

External Ports: (7) USB 2.0 (4 in back, 2 in front and 1in the media reader), (1) IEEE 1394 Firewire Port, Audio ports, Parallel, Serial, and (2) PS/2

Certification: Energy Star Compliant

Monitors: VX750 17" Silver Flat CRT Color Monitor (16.0" viewable)

Video: Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128MB shared DDR memory

Keyboard: Gateway Premium 104+ Keyboard

Mouse: Two-Button PS/2 Wheel Mouse (no mouse pad included)

Music Sampler: Napster 2.0 and 150 Song Sampler (pre-loaded on hard disk)

Sound System: Integrated Intel® High Definition audio

Speakers: 2-piece speaker solution

Modem: 56K PCI data/fax modem

Network Adapter: Integrated Intel® Pro 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access

Part Number: 1008342

PCI Adapter: IEEE 1394 (FireWire) PCI Card

Reznik Akime
01-15-2005, 07:30 PM
What parts would you be willing to keep? If you give me some time.. I may very well be able to get you a parts list for stuff you could use from newegg. I aint got nothin else to do, and since im such an economizing bastard.. Ill get you parts you can overclock for higher performance even.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-15-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm not good with computers. I can use them and find things on them, I just don't understand the parts or the makeup.
But is their a way to keep my operating system (Windows XP Home Edition)

Reznik Akime
01-15-2005, 07:35 PM
God, I have a bad habit of posting when someone else does. x_x

Firstly, See if you cant get that processor to an Athlon 64. Atleast a +3000. If you look up the numbers, The A64 is kicking Intel's ass currently in the gaming market with these processors. Ram, Go for a gig atleast because Doom 3 on High quality takes ages to load and has many studders in the process.

Oh.. And that integrated video card.. Im sorry to say.. Will simply not cut it. Yer going to have to get a Graphics card. Since you seem to have PCI-E slots, you could get you a damned good video card, although I dunno how much. I dont have any PCI-E slots so I had to reasearch AGP.

And ill be damned if I did it again...

Yeah, You can keep XP. Atleast if your last system was a dell AFAIK. I simply used the XP install disc that came with my Dell system on another computer and it worked just fine.

And its not all that hard to build yer own computer. Being afraid of messing up will simply make you mess up more.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Do you know of a site where you can create your own computer? All the gateways suck. Seriously...

Reznik Akime
01-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Hmm.. Other than Dell, Gateway, And alienware.. Fraid not =/
I imagine you want a pick-a-part approach like said companies offer. I dunno where else has one..
Best bet is to research parts and stuff like I mentioned earlier or have someone do it for ya.

Rainman
01-15-2005, 08:07 PM
My brother "built a comp" using mainly newegg a while ago. Unfortunately no surplus money has come my way.

PROVIEW PS709b 17" CRT Monitor –RETAIL $99.00
Logitech MX900 Bluetooth Optical Mouse USB -RETAIL $78.00
Eluminx Keyboard $- (We already have this.)
DYNAPOWER Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "86B2" -RETAIL $32.00
Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM $71.00
Leadtek nVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "WinFast A350XT TDH" -RETAIL $169.00
CHAINTECH "S865PE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU (Prescott Ready) -RETAIL $71.00
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM $169.00
Thermaltake Thunderblade 80mm (BLUE) LED High Performance DC fan, Model "A1910" $5.99
Logitech Z640 5.1 Speakers -RETAIL $43.00
Asus Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DVD-E616P1 Black, Retail $29.99
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only $68.25
Total: $836.23

The moral: it's not too hard to make a good comp from a good resource. This is better than my current computer which plays Half-Life 2 pretty well.

VT_Hokie_Fan
01-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
Chassis: Alienware® Bot Chassis with 270 Watt Ultra-Quiet Power Supply - Silver/Black
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530 w/ HT Technology 3.0GHz 1MB Cache
Motherboard: Alienware® PCI Express Motherboard with Intel® 915 Chipset
Memory: 512MB Alienware® Dual Channel Low-Latency DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz- 2 x 256MB
Graphics Processor: ATI RADEON™ X300 PCI Express 128MB DDR w/Digital and TV Out
TV Tuner: None
System Drive: High Performance - Serial ATA - 80GB Seagate® Barracuda 7,200 RPM w/8MB Cache
Optical Drive: Lite-On® 16x DVD-ROM Drive with Software DVD Decoder
Removable Storage : 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 5.1 surround sound
Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Modem: US Robotics® 56K V.92 Performance Pro
Display One: No Monitor
Display Two: No Monitor
Speakers: Creative Inspire® T3000 2.1 29-Watt Speakers
Keyboard: Microsoft® Basic Keyboard Black
Alienware Exclusive Offers: Gamespot Complete - Free 90-day Trial (a $20.85 value)
Alienware Exclusive Offers: 10% off your next EB Games online purchase
Games: Unreal Tournament 2004
Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
AlienInspection: AlienInspection - Exclusive Integration and Inspection - $99.99 Value - FREE!

Good specs?(for about 1k)
-And the reason I ask this is because I know nothing about computers. It would be easier for me if someone else made it.

MottZilla
01-15-2005, 09:26 PM
If you have a local CompUsa, you can bring them or have them order the parts you want and they'll assemble and install the operating system for you. Ofcourse this is more expensive than building it yourself. But if you don't know how it's not a bad idea, esspecially if you've never installed a CPU chip to a motherboard before. Anyway, just to let you know, when I built my current computer 3-4 years ago, I spent easily 1000$ and I already had the video card and optical drives as well as the monitor. Computers aren't cheap unless you put alot of effort into it. At the time, I had the funds and wanted it professionally done.

Anyway, you reminded me how I need to get a new computer too. I can run UT2004 fairly well, but I'm not even gonna try Doom 3 or Half Life 2. Hell, this PC uses SD PC 133 RAM. =( There was a mix up when I had my machine built and they said the motherboard supported DDR 266 I believe, but they were wrong. :O

Oh well, next time I have a ton of cash to spend on a new machine I will, but this one could last me awhile yet since I recently got a new monitor, new optical drive, and new hard disk.

DsS Game
01-18-2005, 12:13 AM
there was this gaming pc comp that I saw in a mag that I'm actually considering on getting

But the best advice, if your building a PC, for the processor, get an AMD. It seems to be the best by far. Better than a P4.

Daywalker