PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Pay?

Monica
01-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Ok, when the Playstation was brand new, we weren't allowed to get one because CDs were fairly new and my mom thought they would get scratched and ruined. I followed the Nintendo line, completely with a Sega Genesis also.

This means that I missed out on all the classic PS1 RPGs, and now I have an urge for them, especially Star Ocean 2 since I got SO3 and had emulated SO. Ok, anyway, I go looking for Xenogears and SO2 on Ebay, since I got Xenosaga with SO3 for Christmas. I find a Xenogears sealed that I Bought It Now for $15, pretty good right? It hasn't arrived yet though.

Then I search for SO2. I have to get videogames from ebay sealed. They want $69 or $79 for a sealed one! Too expensive for me...:( Now if it was $50 or even $60 I could understand, but why charge more than the standard price for brand new games when the one in question is so old? And why aren't the other great RPGs treated that well? A sealed FF7 went for around $15. Oh, that reminds me that right when Zelda Collection came out, EBGames wanted $75.

Thoughts? How much would you pay for a classic game like that?

DarkDragoonX
01-15-2005, 01:59 PM
[color=mediumpurple]Then I search for SO2. I have to get videogames from ebay sealed. They want $69 or $79 for a sealed one! Too expensive for me...:( Now if it was $50 or even $60 I could understand, but why charge more than the standard price for brand new games when the one in question is so old? And why aren't the other great RPGs treated that well? A sealed FF7 went for around $15.color]

FF7 is $15 because there are gazillions of copies running around. Star Ocean 2, on the other hand, had a very limited printing run. In other words, there are many, many, MANY more copies of FF7 in existance than there are copies of SO2. SO2 is relatively rare, and thus a new, sealed copy is quite the collector's item. 70-80 bucks for a sealed SO2 is a perfectly reasonable price.

LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete, and it's sequel, LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue Complete on the PS will run you over $100 dollars apiece for a sealed copy. It's worth it, though.

Monica
01-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that makes sense, it seemed kinda strange though, heh. Actually, I saw a sealed Eternal Blue for $40 but I played Lunar on GBA and someone said they were the same...

MottZilla
01-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Seeing how you do emulate things, how bout you just get someone to give you a copy of Star Ocean 2, and use Epsxe or a modded playstation to play it?

And as DarkDragoonX said, for a factory sealed item no longer produced, 70$ is perfectly reasonable. Find a used good condition SO2, or get a copy.

Monica
01-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I actually considered that, Mott, but I had a few questions, and since we're discussing it anyway, I may as well ask here (if it's allowed...)

First of all, what is a modded Playstation?
If I get an ISO and burn it to a Data CD will it work on my playstation 2 or at least the computer? My dad's has a burner but this one doesn't and he probably wouldn't let me store such a huge file on his, and my drive has less than 10GB from a 27GB total.

Cloral
01-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Burned CDs will work on a PSX emulator. Otherwise if you want to use the console, you need to install a mod chip (i.e. 'modded playstation').

vegeta1215
01-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Depends on how badly you want to play a game. I wouldn't pay $70 for an old game like that, but I'm sure some people would.

btw, your situation - buying a PS to play RPGs you missed - is why I got a PSone. I got it mainly for FFVII since I can't play the PC version anymore. (I don't have Windows anymore) Aside from that, the only other one I've picked up is Chrono Cross, and that was a big let down :( I'd still like to play Legend of Mana, but a sealed copy is a little too pricey for me ($40). I'm hoping Square releases it as a Greatest Hits title, but I doubt they will.

Daarkseid
01-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Don't bother with Legend of Mana, either buy the soundtrack or download the PSF collection. The gameplay is considerably weak compared to SoM or SD3. The most members of a party you can have are two, your main character and a 2nd character who might join you when you finish a quest; Speaking of which, the game plays through miniquests, with new quests givin as you collect artifacts or complete other miniquests.

The only cool thing was that you can import your own character into a friend's game and play as their 2nd character and actually collect XP while helping them fight through areas.

Probably the greatest thing is the soundtrack. It's absolutely gorgeous and along with the graphical style, makes me wish this were a better game. If Chrono Cross was a big let down, then this game will be even more so.

vegeta1215
01-16-2005, 01:33 AM
I'd easily pay $40 for Legend of Mana If I thought it were worth it, but I too have heard that many people didn't like the game.

Sword of Mana was a disappointment too... :(

Grasshopper
01-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Depends on how badly you want to play a game. I wouldn't pay $70 for an old game like that, but I'm sure some people would.

Exactly. :) I personally wouldn't pay even $20 for a used, new, or factory sealed copy of any of those games. ;)

MottZilla
01-16-2005, 06:30 AM
I actually considered that, Mott, but I had a few questions, and since we're discussing it anyway, I may as well ask here (if it's allowed...)

First of all, what is a modded Playstation?
If I get an ISO and burn it to a Data CD will it work on my playstation 2 or at least the computer? My dad's has a burner but this one doesn't and he probably wouldn't let me store such a huge file on his, and my drive has less than 10GB from a 27GB total.

You can discuss such things on AGN yes.

Like said before, if you burn a copy of the Star Ocean 2 CDs they will work in Epsxe no problems. For a real console there are several options available.

First Playstation. If you have the gray old PSX with the parrel port on the back, you can buy a game enhancer that is a knock off of the action replay that lets you do a swap trick. You will have to buy a spring (you can find a suitable spring at any hardware store). You could also do a spinning swap swap trick depending on your model of PSX. I had a SCPH 7501 which required a 3 swaps swap trick. It wasn't hard once you understood what to do. ;) If you have a PSOne playstation, or a PSX model 9000 or higher, you have only 1 option for the swap trick, which is a swapping boot disc such as the PS Exchange disc, or a GameShark Lite disc. The PS Exchange comes with a piece to hold down the lid sensor for a PSOne but if you use a GameShark Lite you must find something yourself.

If you have a GS Lite and wanna swap, you can ask me for instructions. Finally you have the modchip option, which requires soldering skills. Modchips cost around or under 20$ for playstations.

If you have a PS2, you have the options of modchips again, or swapping. Swapping on the PS2 can be done with a disc again like GameShark lite or PS Exchange, but NOT manually. Again, if you wanna swap with GS Lite, ask me and i'll tell you, it's how I play my PSX copies on my PS2.

If you wanna know anything more about it I'd be happy to help.

Monica
01-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks. :) I have a PS2, but I wouldn't be able to do any physical messing around with it so I'll just burn SO2 and use it on epsxe :)

BTW, do you think the ZC disk should have been $75 at a store? Zelda is being reincarnated everywhere, so it isn't rare like SO2 anymore... (I didn't buy it since I had the OOT disc and of course ZC)

DarkDragoonX
01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
Actually, I saw a sealed Eternal Blue for $40 but I played Lunar on GBA and someone said they were the same...

For $40, a LUNAR: EBC is a steal. By the way, LUNAR on the GBA is a piece of crap. It's completely different from the real LUNAR games.

vegeta1215
01-16-2005, 06:44 PM
BTW, do you think the ZC disk should have been $75 at a store? Zelda is being reincarnated everywhere, so it isn't rare like SO2 anymore... (I didn't buy it since I had the OOT disc and of course ZC)

Are you referring to the Zelda Collector's Edition? Retailer's aren't even supposed to be selling it, but they do anyway. It was given away as a special promotion to gamers who registered 2 or more games from a small list they had on Nintendo's web site. (I registerted Mario Kart: Double Dash and Mario & Luigi for instance) After the promotion is was also was bundled with new Gamecube's for a little while, and given away as a free gift for subscribing to Nintendo Power.

I've seen the Zelda Collector's Edition disc on sale for $40 at a local store, but not anything higher. I will say that having LoZ, AoL, OoT and MM on the Gamecube is pretty nice though. I might pay $70 for it if I were desperate.

Kairyu
01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't bother with Legend of Mana, either buy the soundtrack or download the PSF collection. The gameplay is considerably weak compared to SoM or SD3. The most members of a party you can have are two, your main character and a 2nd character who might join you when you finish a quest; Speaking of which, the game plays through miniquests, with new quests givin as you collect artifacts or complete other miniquests.

The only cool thing was that you can import your own character into a friend's game and play as their 2nd character and actually collect XP while helping them fight through areas.

Probably the greatest thing is the soundtrack. It's absolutely gorgeous and along with the graphical style, makes me wish this were a better game. If Chrono Cross was a big let down, then this game will be even more so.

I just want to mention that I love LoM and hate SoM. I wanted to play through SoM all the way before trying SD3, but I seriously can't stand playing that game anymore. Which is kinda weird, considering how much I like Legend of Mana and Secret of Evermore. I will agree that the soundtrack is awesome, though.

Anyway, on topic, if you don't want to pay full price for a sealed copy, just get a used copy with the case and manual and whatever included. If you think about it, you're really just paying tons of extra cash for a little plastic wrap that you'll have to remove if you ever want to do anything with the game anyway.

MottZilla
01-17-2005, 04:55 AM
It's sad if anyone would pay more than 30$ for a disc with sub par emulations of Zelda 1, 2, 5, and 6. You could buy all of those games used quite cheap. And if you don't care about emulation, you are better off using a superior PC based emulator than what Nintendo used.

DsS Game
01-18-2005, 12:55 AM
pretty much what ddx said. FF& had pretty much a whole bunch of copies. Only rare games such as what u mention plus another game I can think of would be the DC version of MvC2 get a high price because well there aren't many copies left.

The most id spend on a game is 50.

Daywalker

MottZilla
01-18-2005, 03:24 AM
MvC2 is available on Xbox too, so it would not have a very high price.