PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the Sidewarp Problem

Dart Zaidyer
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Okay, yet another discussion has been sparked on this since I added it to the bug list.

Now so far we have three ideas:

-A "Set as entrance/exit" checkbox
-Move the default warp square positions to the south door
-Record the DMap's default entrance/exit coordinates into the savegame

I'll start by picking them apart.

A "Set as e/e" checkbox:
The simple truth to this one is that it's not going to fix older quests, which is the main problem in the first place.

Move the default positions:
This isn't going to solve the fact that gameflow is still going to get broken in many quests. Plus, it's also a sketchy idea at best... What if you still get trapped because the new position happens to be somewhere the designer put a bunch of walls?

Record the e/e in savegames:
So far I like this one. Since sidewarps are doing it already, why not just change it so they don't, and the game looks at the "continue screen" setting and saves that?

In any case, I also think it's important that players have access to a key that will reset the saved continue data and cause ZC to look where it's supposed to for just such an occasion.

Freedom
01-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Move the default positions:
This isn't going to solve the fact that gameflow is still going to get broken in many quests. Plus, it's also a sketchy idea at best... What if you still get trapped because the new position happens to be somewhere the designer put a bunch of walls?

How would it be broken, it's starting Link in the enterance exit room as it's designed to do, and there is little chance that there will be wall there, but yes, it's possible.

The only way to fix it for good it to remove the sidewarp feature again all together, AND if you recall it was added because of continue problems, so removing it would simply revert it back to be broken again.

I had another suggestion too, which got ignored as well, make a dead player go to the screen number specified on the dmap PERIOD, then if a builder wants to add start positions in addition to the enterance in his dungeon, then he ADDS another dmap.

This will also fix the bug where when you die fighting a boss it takes you back to the enterance still playing the boss music.

Dart Zaidyer
01-13-2005, 09:02 PM
make a dead player go to the screen number specified on the dmap PERIOD
I'm pretty sure that falls in line with idea #3, "record the DMap e/e in savegames".

Actually, I think the three of these ideas would work best if they were combined together. That way you get the "fix" to the old continue bug if you want it, the not getting stuck in the corner which is almost always occupied, and the DMap's true e/e recorded in the savegame, which to this point has proven to be the most unshakable method so far. (notice how there ARE no random continue bugs anymore?)

Praethus
01-15-2005, 03:59 AM
A think an "Act as Entrance/Exit" checkbox would be the perfect solution. In old quests, it's turned off by default. This means the sidewarps won't act as e/e warps and will behave as the creator intended them too. I don't see how it won't fix older quests. :shrug:

DarkDragon
01-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Should it be on by default for post-183 and pre-211 quests?

Praethus
01-16-2005, 05:09 AM
It should be checked on or off based on the behavior they used in the version the quest uses.