PDA

View Full Version : old quest importing and other stuff

slothman
01-09-2005, 05:16 PM
A long time ago there was some program that converted old quest files to new versions. I can't find it though. Would it even work with 2.10 anyways? I want it because I have some 1.84 quests that 2.10 doesn't like. Even the map importer says "Unable to load. Incomplete data." Is there any way of rectifying this?
I think I did get it to work at some point but I can't figure it out. I have a 2.1 quest with 1.84 maps.

Also I made it so a ".qst" file opens zquest. It wants the various files in the ".qst" directory instead of the zquest folder. Can that be solved? In 1.84 it wasn't a problem.

Finally, in the 2.1 quest I did import the map to there is an odd bug. It doesn't happen with the 2.1 quests that came with it nor custom 2.1 or custom 1.84 quests. It only seems to exist with the 2.1 quest I got the 1.84 map into. In the level 4 cheat the 'f' button does something but I don't know what. It is either undocumented, not in the help, or even broken. In the other quests it is disabled by default so they can be used normally. In the map imported quest it gets enabled normally and thus prevents the quest from working unless you switch it off with the cheat. It also works no matter what room Link starts in.
Basically when it is enabled the movement keys, 2,4,6,8 on mine, the 'a' and 'b' keys, space and b on mine don't work. Plus you are invincible but not flashing. It's like Link is paused but everything else is not. I tried it on other quests and it is disabled allowing those keys to work. If I cheat and start it then Link is stopped. Both types I can change it at will so the only difference is that it is enabled at the start on my imported quest and disenabled on the "regular" quests. I can easily turn it off, if I can cheat to level 4, and play normally but it still annoying.
Since this happens only in ZC I looked around ZQ to find anything related but failed.

A few more things:
If I do get the import map to work, or just figure it out, will it erase maps I already put in a new quest? I read the help and it looked like it either erases the new one completely, copies the old but doesn't erase new maps if there is no corresponding old ones, or copies the old one and erases new ones even if source is blank. I want a way to add the old maps after the new ones so I have both. Unless I looked wrong and it can do that.

The rule "Must Kill All Bosses" says "all of them will be gone." Should it be "if you don't kill all then all will return?" It seems like you would only want them to stay gone permanently if you kill all of them rather than just one.

I read that sparkles can hurt enemies. Is there any way of making them so they are just for show?

Are ghini1's the killable one and ghini2's the ones that come when you touch tombstone that are invincible?

"Leave Money or Life" in quest 2 I think had a 2 hearts vs., money but I could be wrong on that. If so is there any way of making it do that in a custom? It looked like you could only set the money.

Is there a "push forever" block instead of just "push once?" It looks like not though. It would be cool in any case.

With the "enemies always return," how does it work? Do they return when you reenter the room, when you exit the dungeon, or when you die? Why are there 2 of them? Does one affect the whole quest and when turned off the other can be used to only work that room?

Questwizard88
01-14-2005, 10:58 AM
The rule "Must Kill All Bosses" says "all of them will be gone." Should it be "if you don't kill all then all will return?" It seems like you would only want them to stay gone permanently if you kill all of them rather than just one.
I think it should be that way too. It's going to have a very unusual effect on the boss I want to make. It's going to be a 40-headed Gleeok, but the only problem is that it will lose the heads permenantly if you kill the wrong one. That's where this would fix that.

I read that sparkles can hurt enemies. Is there any way of making them so they are just for show?
As far as I know, there isn't. Try making the sparkle animations very short, and it might help.

Are ghini1's the killable one and ghini2's the ones that come when you touch tombstone that are invincible?
Yes.

"Leave Money or Life" in quest 2 I think had a 2 hearts vs., money but I could be wrong on that. If so is there any way of making it do that in a custom? It looked like you could only set the money.
No. You can only set the money right now.

Is there a "push forever" block instead of just "push once?" It looks like not though. It would be cool in any case.
There are some infinite push blocks. Look in the flags.

With the "enemies always return," how does it work? Do they return when you reenter the room, when you exit the dungeon, or when you die? Why are there 2 of them? Does one affect the whole quest and when turned off the other can be used to only work that room?The quest rule automatically makes all non-boss enemies return every time you enter the screen. The screen rule does this on a screen-by-screen basis.