PDA

View Full Version : Cycling combos

Freedom
01-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry, but this is going to be long winded, but I think it's important.

Cycling combos,
this is in the 2.10

I seem to have crossed some imaginary line in my quest with secret combos and added too many, which caused ALL of them in the game to stop working.
It didn't effect the quest in any other way, it didn't slow down, hicup or anything, cycling combos just ALL stopped working period.

Since my trade has been Industrial Electrician, I'll describe what it did in terms that I know.
I added 140 cycling combos to the quest I've been working on since around last may, which already probably has in the 1000's (just guessing here but a BUNCH), doing so seems to have tripped a breaker.
I checked and rechecked to make sure they were set up right, and then went ahead a deleted them all back out, yet the "breaker" is still tripped somewhere, and I'm left with a corrupted quest, even after removing them the rest no longer worked.

I put my back up quest in that was saved just prior to adding the new cycling combos and it's back to working as it was before.
So I can only assume I crossed the line and have too many cycling combos.

NOW... since there really is no info available on how cycling combos are SUPPOSED to be used, I now wonder if I'm using them right.

1) setting speeds never has worked for me above 9
Are they supposed to?
If you set the speed to 10 they simply stop working.

2) just the simplist animation takes LOADS of cycling combos, and since speed doesn't work above 9 that means adding more combos to adjust speed.
To have a spear travel across the room out of one wall, over 2 floor tiles and into the wall on the other side (4 tiles total) took me 140 cycling combos to do.
Am I doing this wrong?
Should it take that many when the spear progresses at 2 pixils per combo?
Each floor tile space then took 35 cycling combos to progrees the spear across to the lext and leave clear open space to allow for the others to cycle through their combos, since these loop.

Could looping have anything to do with the problem described above?

ShadowTiger
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Not being the programmer himself, I can't say much, except to say that I think you can pull out a little bit more than two pixels per combo there, Freedom. I think it might work with four pixels. You end sooner, and use fewer combos, and if you increase the speed of the spears slightly, you could probably save a few combos. I know it's a fairly obvious solution, but I can't just sit here like this doing nothing with the knowledge that one of the greater questmakers out there is having quest-stopping difficulty. ... *Sigh* ... Such a shame. :shakeno:

At least you actually got the relative gist of it. :p I still struggle with those square peg blocks from Z3. :laughing: XD

Freedom
01-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I did 2 pixils because I wanted a smooth transition, they spiral as the go across the room.
I've done 4 on other things but it ends up being pretty jerky.

How about the speeds?
Should you be able to adjust above 9?

and still wonder about limits, this sure acts like I just have too many, as nothing else was effected.

and looping...
does having different cycling combos on one screen with different times and loops effect anything?

It would be nice to know exactly how they were intended to be used.

The way these spears are set, they have 35 combos, the first 5 are set to a speed of 9 and the rest are set to 3, this gives a little time between spears, and they look about right with those settings.

so then another question.
Does varied speeds effect anything, is having the first 5 set to 9 and the next 30 set to 3 acceptable?

Orion
01-07-2005, 01:34 AM
I think you are right. I could never figure out why I couldn't get my cycling combos to work. It would cycle through the sequence once, and then stop, and wouldn't repeat itself no matter how it was set uo. I checked to see what their speed was, and it was set to 30. Changed it to 9, and kazowee, they worked.

Blonde799
01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey Freedom, could you tell me what version of ZQuest you were using last before these problems occured(before using 2.10) in your quest? I've been meaning to ask about this so I could experiment with some combo cycling bugs of my own, and see what the version upgrade does to them.

Freedom
01-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Update to this....

I went in over the last two days and totally went through my cycling combos, every last one of them, in the 183/84
I cleaned them up and made them as effeciant as I think they can be.
I realised while doing this I had done a pretty stupid thing.
When I started this quest, I "moved" all the cycling combos I had used in my prior quest way down to the bottom of the combo pages, in case I decided to use any I wouldn't have to load all those combos back it.
In doing so their "next" feature were still pointing back to where they once had been, which is now filled with new combos of all sorts.
Since cycling combos continue to cycle all the time, I believe this may have caused my problem, they were cycling back to god knows where.
It was probably throwing sparks everywhere. :)

Anyway, since late yesterday I'm back in the 2.10 and I've been building new screens and adding more cycling combos and it hasn't corrupted again (crosses fingers and knocks on wood)

I upgraded from both the A6 and the 183/84 Blonde799, testing this problem, right now the one I'm working on again is from the 83/84.