PDA

View Full Version : 2004: No more formalities

Brasel
01-06-2005, 03:58 AM
Third new thread. Sorry guys. ;)

This past year has changed me more than I could have ever imagined. So much has happened. I guess you could say that I've changed from a child into a man. I left at the beginning of 2004 from home in good old Troy, Illinois to take a flight into Atlanta, Georgia. From there, the long and scary bus trip to Ft. Benning. I made friends, I did things I can't share with others, I shed my sweat, blood, and tears. Basic training reformed me. I was a man...or so I thought.

I had my family day and my graduation day where I could finally see my family for the first time in what seemed like the longest time away from them that I would ever have to endure. I saw the most beautiful girl in the world waiting for me. Everytime I think of that moment when I saw Tera again I start to tear up a bit. I kissed her with probably the second most passionate and meaningful kiss I ever kissed. I had been planning for those three months I was away to propose to her. I did, on graduation day, by the easter bunny set up at the mall in Columbus, Georgia. The first thing she said to me was, "Get up, stupid." She didn't know what else to say, I guess. It was really kind of funny, and extremely happy at the same time. She said yes.

I left them to go onto AIT (advanced individual training). It was long and boring. I still haven't used anything learned in the classroom in the real army, but I learned an important lesson in life: Don't worry so much, being paranoid about things is just more trouble and stress than its worth.

The guys I've been working with in the real army at Ft. Stewart have taugh me something too. Don't let what other people say about you get to you. Noone's opinions about you matter more than your loved ones or your own. Fuck the other people who you hardly know. Their harsh words usually are only means to make themselves feel better, as cliche as that can sound. I've grown more and more since the beginning. I still have a long way to go.

I've been lucky and blessed enough to get married to the most wonderful woman in the world and come home for the holidays. I couldn't ask for more. I honestly believe that coming home with my wife to spend the holidays with family and friends was the best present I got this year. I got to have conversations with my wife, run boring errands, sing in a rock and roll band, get pictures upon pictures taken, eat millions of cookies and baked goods, and open lots of presents and hear lots of praise and thank yous. These past two weeks have been the best of my life.

I love life, I love my wife, my family, my friends. And now I'm leaving it all behind for this new year. 2005 will be an adventure. But in a corny kind of way, I'm taking all of it with me to the desert. I'm going to face the hardest time of my entire life, and I'm honestly not that afraid. Hell, I don't want to go, but I'm not complaining. The army won't drag this soldier kicking and screaming. Why be afraid? I'm coming home. I've got too much for me here to not make it. I need to fight for them, and to fight for everyone else who has someone they love at home.

Know that I will remember everyone I've met over the years because of AGN, GNET, and soforth. I'll take all your lessons, your compliments, congratulations, and whatever else with me. Thanks guys. This Dragonslayer is no longer a child.

[/end corny sappy monologue]

Dechipher
01-06-2005, 12:49 PM
You know, if you were a complete idiot I'd be laughing at you right now or something, but you're not, and you were one of the first AGN people I actually remember talking to (no doubt because of our Metallica kinship.) Good luck in the Military, man.

moocow
01-06-2005, 03:33 PM
*huggles* Have I told you lately that you rock?

Rainman
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I wish you as much luck as possible in your future military endeavours. Thanks for helping to defend the country.

carrot red
01-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Good luck, Tony. Try to keep us posted.

PS: I loved the wedding pictures.

AlexMax
01-07-2005, 07:32 PM
GET R' DUN'!

Good luck Anthony.