PDA

View Full Version : A small bug, that has been overlooked for a long time.

Rydia
01-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Ok, I have noticed something just recently that I had noticed a while back. I have a couple pictures to help me explain, since I totally suck with words. Ok in the first image, you see that bar thing from Zelda 3? In the second it is highlighted pink in the ZQ editor. Everyone knows that this is because it is solid, and Link cannot go through it. Now for the problem, see, Link can't go through, but enemies and walk vertically through this. I have observed this many times over.

http://www.armageddongames.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=387&stc=1

http://www.armageddongames.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=388&stc=1

NerdWarrior
01-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah, this one's been around since 183. I think I've reported it in the past, but it must have been forgotten or something.

I forgot to check for this one myself in the newest release. -_-;

4matsy
01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Not just 1.92.183, but 1.90 as well. o_O

Seems enemies don't check the bottom of the tile for walkability, but do check the top...

Dart Zaidyer
01-03-2005, 10:56 PM
This bug does exist in 2.10. I just saw it today.
In fact, it doesn't even matter which half of the tile is walkable or not, they'll still ignore it.

I had always thought it was standard behavior on LoZ, but apparently it's not. (seeing as how there are no such situations in LoZ anyway...)
Better put this in the list.

Praethus
01-04-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the bug only happens if the top half of the tile is unwalkable. If the bottom half is unwalkable, I think it stops enemies.

fatcatfan
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
And I think this had been fixed at sometime in the past. The question is whether it is behavior that you'd see in Z1.

4matsy
01-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Probably is. Octoroks have been notorious for going through the bottom left corner of the wall directly onto the stairs, on the screen 1 south of 1st quest level 2...

ShadowTiger
01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
... *Blinks* ... I've never seen anything wrong with that, personally. Octoroks may roam where they may roam... Of course, this problem here, (And I believe the correct functionality of this is situated in Praethus's explanation, with the top being unchecked.) could be used and exploited by ZQuesters. You could place those small unwalkable borders (Like in HL's shot under the walkability red part.) so Link would have to walk between two tiles, and no enemies could get past that position. You could use such a place to attack death knights (If everything else was positioned correctly so that was a safe spot, of course, from the Death Knight's vertical sword beam attacks.) So this isn't really as much of a bug, unless you consider them passing through the following, with X being unwalkable, and X being walkable.

XX
XX

In that illustration, if an enemy walked SOUTH onto that tile, THAT RIGHT THERE would be the bug. (You all know that, .. heh.) anything else wouldn't be a bug though. This is really the only instance of this bug that I can see, that would truly BE a bug. Also note that they can walk horizontally onto such an incidence, in the above, but they cannot walk horizontally (Or at all) into the following incidence, including a horizontally flipped one.

XX
XX

Enemies trying to walk horizontally onto that wouldn't be able to at all, bug or no bug.

So the only bug here that we must fix, is the first diagram I drew.

Praethus
01-04-2005, 01:34 PM
BH4, the problem is they do walk south over that. Make a screen full of combos designed like your first diagram. The enemies will have free range of the screen, while LInk will be constrained to one row.

Raichu86
01-04-2005, 01:58 PM
I've had to work around this bug a lot. Since Zelda 1 seems to behave in this manner, a quest rule to fix it would be nice.

In a similar bug, I recall that the ladder does not observe a 1/2 or 1/4 non-walkable tile on layer 1 or 2 that is on top of water or "ladder only". I'll have to check on it, though.

*b*
01-04-2005, 02:40 PM
you know, I noticed this bug almost a year ago (I was playing a quest, but I can't remember the name. it was before I was a beta tester), and never thought to report it. strange...

anyway, I fixed this by making all the areas Link cannot walk completley unwalkable via layers and hard transparent combos (hard is the word I use for non-walkable combos, soft is what I use for walkable)

I think another solution to this would be making a quest rule that enables enemies to walk on the same 8x8 pixel grid that Link does

Freedom
01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure about "all" enemies, but I encountered this with most I tried in two different situations.
They walked over a 1/2 non walkable tile in both cases whether it was on the top half or bottom half of the tile.
1st I tried to surround enemies with 1/2 red tiles to trap them in as a custom boss, they ignored it.
2nd I had a rail between walkway and lava, and the Like Likes ignored it.

Like *b* said, you can use a clear no walk tile in a layer and do an effective "fix" in a lot of cases.

ShadowTiger
01-04-2005, 07:10 PM
BH4, the problem is they do walk south over that. Make a screen full of combos designed like your first diagram. The enemies will have free range of the screen, while LInk will be constrained to one row.1) ... I know. :odd: That's my point. 0_o ... Unless: 2) you're talking about an exploitation of something else entirely. Because I know that while Link can only walk on a horizontal plane in such an environment, the enemies have free roam, as they operate solely on the lower horizontal two parts of the combo. I know. This can be exploited. Hence, a quest rule would be in order. (Though it would only be useful in specific situations, and unwanted in the rest, I would think.)

Rydia
01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, even if it isn't considered a bug, something should still be done about it, because their I've had in many parts of my quest, where the enemy walks outside of where I can go, and I cannot kill them to continue on. Was there ever a part in Z1 where there was a tile with only the top or bottom half not walkable? I don't really recall any point like that.

Praethus
01-05-2005, 03:54 PM
There was in the passage ways in dungeons, but the only enemies there were keese, and they ignore it anyway.

Jarty
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I've seen other enemies in side-scrolling sections used effectively, and I think that's probably the reason they ignore this at the moment. Maybe these tiles could be unwalkable by enemies by default and there could be a screen flag to make them walkable.