PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling Side Warps in 2.10. Possible new Continue Bug.

Exdeath
01-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Dark Nation and Fatcatfan,

As you may or may not be aware, scrolling side warps between 2 different DMAPS behave very differently than they did in Version 1.93 as far as continuing is concerned. Before, they acted like any instawarp type; when you died, you would return to the beginning of the dungeon. Now if you die after going through one of these warps, you will continue in the room of the warp's destination (possibly stuck in the upper lefthand wall).

This behavior will "break" many existing quests that use the scrolling sidewarps (in effect, creating a new sort of CONTINUE BUG), since these old quests were made with the old sidewarp behavior in mind. Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revange comes to mind since it uses many scrolling sidewarps in the dungeons.

My suggested remidy is as follows:

1. Restore the scrolling sidewarps to their original behavior from Version 1.93 and before.
2. Optionally, create a new scrolling sidewarp type that behaves like an Entrance/Exit warp. I can see many uses for this new behaving type of scrolling sidewarp, but it must be created as an additional type so that older quests will not be "broken."

Let me know if you have any questions or need me to clarify this. Thanks,

-Exdeath

Freedom
01-01-2005, 05:40 PM
This has been this way since the 184 player, when sidewarps were made a recognized warp for continue purposes.

My suggestion is to move the default location of the blue and green squares from the upper left corner to just in front of the southern door, so the player can still walk out of the problem instead of being stuck in the wall.

fatcatfan
01-01-2005, 05:44 PM
This is known and expected behavior. There may be some call for adjusting behavior based on the quest header version, to keep from breaking old quests, but I think after all the debate we decided that this behavior is the preferable one. And this isn't new exactly, I fairly certain it behaved this way in the last few of the public betas.

Anywho, thanks for bringing it up again, because we *do* want to try to keep from breaking old quests where possible. Even so, it might be best to use older versions of ZC to play older quests.

DarkFlameWolf
01-01-2005, 05:57 PM
look like I must update all my quests to 2.1 just to keep them from being broken I guess.

Exdeath
01-01-2005, 06:04 PM
This is known and expected behavior. There may be some call for adjusting behavior based on the quest header version, to keep from breaking old quests, but I think after all the debate we decided that this behavior is the preferable one. And this isn't new exactly, I fairly certain it behaved this way in the last few of the public betas.

Anywho, thanks for bringing it up again, because we *do* want to try to keep from breaking old quests where possible. Even so, it might be best to use older versions of ZC to play older quests.

I understand. You could also make a quest rule that dictates how the scrolling sidewarp behaves. It's just that I can think of good uses for both types of sidewarp continue behaviors. Thanks for replying.