PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic 2.10

Pages : [1] 2

Dark Nation
01-01-2005, 06:53 AM
http://www.armageddongames.net/darknation/zc/links.gif

Thanks to *b* for the nice intro pic. Sort of a variation on the Father Time/Baby New Year idea (Adult Link, version 1.92 is retiring and giving the sword to Young Link, version 2.10).

Currently, only the Windows and DOS ports are compiled. I should have the Mac and Linux ones within a week.

Here's the list of changes since version 1.93 Alpha 4 (there were 262 total changes since version 1.92 Beta 183):

1. Fixed the bug where the mouse would get locked inside of the zoomed tile window from the tile editor (even after exiting the tile editor) if the middle button were pressed there until the left or right button were pressed.

2. Fixed the bug where the mouse would be forced 1 block down from its intended location in coordinate placing mode.

3. Fixed the bug where the placed coordinate squares were the wrong color.

4. Added triple buffering to ZC. This causes the game to run much smoother.

5. The DMap editor now shows the proper number of columns for the selected DMap type (16 for Overworld, 8 for others). Also, the DMap offset slider is disabled for Overworld DMaps as is the button grid. However, the compass and continue position mouse selection method is preserved, as well as being fixed to work with 16 columns where needed.

6. The text edit control now starts with the cursor at the end instead of the beginning.

7. Fixed the flying enemy spawn bug.

8. Fixed the inconsistency with the Triforce pick up warp curtain effect.

9. Fixed the bug in the tile grabber where switching the grab mode would also shift the offset by one.

10. Added a new bp option to the tile grabber. Pressing the 'N' key will switch the grab style to NES. This allows tiles to be lifted more easily from NES games.

11. Added a new option to the grabber. Pressing the 'B' key will cycle through the different bit plane settings (1, 2, NES, 4, and 8).

12. Added the F, L, and P keys to the tile grabber that correspond to the File, Leech, and Pal buttons.

13. Changed the fastwalk key from 'F' to 'Q' (for quickwalk), because of the next change.

14. Changed the 'F' key to freeze/unfreeze link (if cheat level 4 is on). This allows you to continue testing if Link is frozen by a bad dmap intro/screen message string combination.

15. Now, fullscreen/windowed mode is saved between sessions. So, set it once (either through a command-line switch or with the Alt-Enter key) and it stays that way until you change it again, even after quitting and restarting the program.

16. Fixed the bug where a newly-created save slot wouldn't be saved unless it had actually been played once and saved from the Save, Continue, Retry game menu.

17. Finished implementing Nayru's Love. Just like the Ocarina of Time version, this spell places a shield around Link, during which time he is invincible. He can, however, still get knocked around when hit (just like in the Ocarina of Time version). Along with this spell are 9 new miscellaneous weapon types: Nayru's Love (Left), Nayru's Love (Left, Returning), Nayru's Love Trail (Left), Nayru's Love Trail (Left, Returning), Nayru's Love (Right), Nayru's Love (Right, Returning), Nayru's Love Trail (Right), Nayru's Love Trail (Right, Returning), and Nayru's Love Shield. The first 8 correspond to their approximate Din's Fire counterparts. However, instead of one spell rocket (going up from Link's position, then falling back down from off-screen), there are now two (going left and right from Link, then returning from off-screen). The last one, Nayru's Love Shield, is the top-left tile of a 2x2 block that is drawn over Link when the spell is active. The tiles that make up the shield are not laid out on the tile screen as they will be in the game. Instead, they are sequential (Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, Bottom Right). If the Nayru's Love Shield miscellaneous type is animated, the tiles are offset by the number of frames. Additionally, this spell has 4 quest rules assigned to it: Trans. N. Love Shield, N. Love Shield Flickers, Trans. N. Love Rocket, and N. Love Rocket Flickers. These control the transparency and flickering of the Nayru's Love Shield and Nayru's Love Rockets, much like the counterpart rules for Ghini 2's.

18. Fixed the bug where the Door Combo Set editor wouldn't save new door combo sets.

19. Fixed the bug where edits to door combo sets wouldn't be considered a change (and ZQuest wouldn't ask if you wanted to save if you quit after a door combo set edit).

20. Implemented Farore's Wind. Presently, it just carries Link back to the entrance to the current DMap.

21. Corrected the position for the hammer smack sprite.

22. Finished the panels at the bottom of the ZQuest main editor window.

23. Added the remaining screen data flags to the screen flags panel in ZQuest.

24. Removed the "Hookshot Bridge" combo type.

25. Removed the NPC's.

26. Renamed the "Nayru's Love Shield" miscellaneous sprite to "Nayru's Love Shield (Front)" and added "Nayru's Love Shield (Back)", which is drawn behind Link, allowing for a nearly true 3D Nayru's Love Shield.

27. Fixed the warp types after they were broken in Alpha 5 due to the last-minute removal of the new warp scheme.

28. Cut Nayru's Love time from 1024 tics to 512.

29. Doubled the magic cost of Nayru's Love (from 32 to 64, or half of an 8-unit, un-doubled magic meter).

30. Added the "Magic" cheat to the menu in the Zelda engine and moved it and the "Life" cheat to a submenu of a newly-created "Refill" menu (which takes the position of the life cheat menu).

31. Took the cheat keys out of brackets in the cheat menu in the Zelda engine.

32. Fixed the bug with combos in older quests reverting to cset 0 for their next combo.

33. Nayru's Love Shield now draws more tightly on Link (before, there was the possibility of sprites getting drawn between Link and the Nayru's Love Shield).

34. Fixed the bug with warping to screen 80 when picking up a Triforce shard.

35. Fixed the bug where the Misc Colors editor would crash upon use.

36. Fixed the bug where triple buffering would occasionally cause screen noise.

37. Fixed the bug where using the mouse wheel in the map flags selector dialog would cause the selected map flag to change after the dialog is closed.

38. The screen opening/closing effect is now locked back to a circle again. Later (maybe in the next version, or whenever the warp system is revamped), this will be selectable.

39. Added the tics -> seconds converter to the screen data dialog.

40. Fixed the bug where the mouse pointer wasn't showing up in the palette grabber.

41. Fixed the bug in the palette grabber where the buttons weren't responding to the mouse in the top 5 pixels of the buttons and were being redrawn incorrectly when clicked.

42. Modified the palette grabber screen to remap the colors so the buttons try to draw as closely to the correct colors as possible, even when a vastly different palette is loaded.

There are a few minor known issues with this release that I am working on. Most notable are:
-The leech progress window doesn't update based on seconds if selected, just on tiles.
-The following Import/Export options are broken:
Map
DMaps
Palettes
String Table

Anyway, here are the files.

Zelda Classic 2.10 for Windows (http://www.armageddongames.net/darknation/zc/zc210w.zip)
+zelda-w.exe
+zquest-w.exe

Zelda Classic 2.10+ Windows Support Archive (http://www.armageddongames.net/darknation/zc/zc210ws.zip)
+alleg41.dll

Zelda Classic 2.10+ Support Archive for DOS/Windows (http://www.armageddongames.net/darknation/zc/zc210s.zip)
+many files

Zelda Classic 2.10 for DOS (http://www.armageddongames.net/darknation/zc/zc210d.zip)
+zelda.exe
+zquest.exe

EDIT BY FCF:
ZC2.10 For Dummies :waggle:
Zelda Classic 2.10 for Windows Installer (http://fatcatfan.armageddongames.net/zc/zc210w.exe)
+This contains and installs everything you need for ZC on windows
+Includes Nightmare's DemoEx quest
-okay... so it doesn't include DirectX

Cepat
01-01-2005, 07:23 AM
Wow thank you DN for this New Year Day present!!!!
This is a great day for all ZC Questmakers :D

Heat Man
01-01-2005, 07:33 AM
2.10?

Hey that's excellent! I register here and they almost immediately release a new version. Maybe I should start creating quests now. I didn't like the old editor.

Sephiroth
01-01-2005, 08:42 AM
-_-' This version ended up making my custom sfx.dat files not work anymore. Is there a chance of a sfx.dat file upgrader? o.O

PolygonX8
01-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Oh sh... Is this actually REAL?! It must be! Thanks DN, greatly appreciated! I can now restore a corrupted quest, and soon enough get to start on my biggest project I've been planning for several months...

Happy new year, indeed!

Pangolin
01-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Oh. My. God.
^_^ TA VERY MUCH, DN. This is good news indeed.
Quite, a Happy new year to you all.

VGWarrior
01-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Hmm...Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to get ALT+Enter to swap between windowed and full screen . Should I hold Alt first or something? (right now I'm on Windowed)

4matsy
01-01-2005, 12:38 PM
ZQuest works fine with alt-enter, but the game itself doesn't. Try the "-fullscreen" command-line switch.

VGWarrior
01-01-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm hoping I just need the -fullscreen switch...I seem to be having issues trying to run Dr. Wily's Revenge on 2.10.

Odanaki
01-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Thank you ever so much! :clap:

I was just looking if I had an answer from a request to get a newer version than the beta 187 that was available for a while last winter, and look what I have just found! :)

Thanks again for the job well done!

Cepat
01-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I encountered some problems with the 2.10 version. These are as follows :

1. The music seems cluttered, it seemed the midis didn't sound that smooth as compared to the 183 & 184 players.
2. Turning off VSync makes everything return back to normal, but the transitition between screens doesn't seem that smooth. Turning on VSync & everything is at supersonic speed.
When VSync is turned on for the 183/184, screens transition is very smooth.
3. The 210 player doesn't seem to remember the location of the custom quest when I reload the player. I played quests from another directory & it doesn't seem to remember.

Haven't tried the editor yet but it looks awesome.

Brasel
01-01-2005, 02:24 PM
This might sound silly...but why isn't it opening for me?

Reflectionist
01-01-2005, 02:25 PM
[edit - I'm dumb] never mind...

*b*
01-01-2005, 02:32 PM
28. Cut Nayru's Love time from 1024 tics to

he cut it to 512 tics. the 1024 seemed to last too long, and it was noted that, if used at the right time, players could go through an entire dungeon with it on

I'm downloading it now, and I have one question; are there going to be public bugfix releases in the immedate future?

Freedom
01-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Anthony,

Make sure you downloaded all of the files and unzipped them in the same folder.

Double click on zquest-w.exe and click on the etc and play lost woods midi.

turn off the midi and exit zquest-w.exe and there should be 2 new files in your folder, ag.cfg, and allegro.log.
now double click on zelda-w.exe and it should work.

Dark_Cloud
01-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Can anybody help me with a couple problems I am having?

A few things,

1. I have ZC 2.10 DOS for my laptop. The game launches but Zquest doesnt. I get a Allcoating tile undo buffer error. How do I fix this?

2. In ZC 2.10 DOS the sounds area all funky.

3. In ZC 2.10 for my COMPUTER, in the game, the screen keeps blinking nonstop. It gets really annoying!

fatcatfan
01-01-2005, 04:32 PM
1. I have ZC 2.10 DOS for my laptop. The game launches but Zquest doesnt. I get a Allcoating tile undo buffer error. How do I fix this?

You need more RAM.

mjctraider
01-01-2005, 04:58 PM
This is a dumb question , but I am having problems running the new version the problem is in bold and italics:

Zelda Classic v2.10 (Build 0)
Checking Files... OK
Allocating quest path buffer (280b/280b)...OK
Allocating map buffer (185.94k/186.21k)... OK
Allocating string buffer (6.75M/6.93M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/7.09M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (51.00k/7.14M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.49M/8.63M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (158.11k/8.79M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.78M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/16.88M)... OK
Allocating item buffer (6.00k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.00k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (14.00k/16.90M)... OK
Initializing Allegro... OK
Allocating bitmap buffers... OK
Loading data files:
Zelda.Dat...
Incompatible version of zelda.dat.
Please upgrade to v2.10 Build 0

what do I do? It's been a while since I've used zquest and played zelda classic and I don't remember if I've had this problem before or not. I've tried reinstalling everything over again, but no luck. I'm just so confused :odd:

Dark_Cloud
01-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Download the support folder and put everything you your ZC folder. That should help.

Dark_Cloud
01-01-2005, 05:05 PM
I believe it is the Zelda Classic 2.10+ Support Archive for DOS/Windows. But make sure you have enough ram for Zquest :)

mjctraider
01-01-2005, 05:11 PM
D'oh. I didn't even see that. I just assumed when I saw DOS next to it it was for the DOs version of Zelda Classic. I beeter go to the eye doctor and get my eyes checked.

Ok I downloaded it and the screen flashes a few times then a dialog box shows up telling me there is an error and asks if I want to debug, send the error to Microsoft or don't send the error. I I think I has this happen once before with an older version, but not sure. Any ideas? I'm using Windows XP in case that helps. Also Zquest does the same thing, so i'm thinking I'm forgetting to do something before running the executable files.

Dark Nation
01-01-2005, 05:40 PM
To fix custom sfx.dat files:
1. Open the grabber
2. Load sfx.dat
3. Export the signature object (first item in the list)
4. Edit the sig.txt file in notepad and change it to say "SFX.Dat v2.10 Build 0" (without the quotes)
5. Save the sig.txt file.
6. In the grabber, import the sig.txt file again (you may have to relocate it as it will probably default to wanting to open from drive f or g).
7. Save the sfx.dat file.

As for bugfixes, they won't be in the immediate future, but in the very near future (next few weeks or so, I hope) unless it's a critically major bug.

idontknow
01-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Some Questions:
1) What does <slide-proof> mean? (it says that next to the "Rock" and "Zora" enemy)

2) Has the "Item Pond" been implemented yet? If not, i suggest taking that out of the "Room Type" menu altogether or implementing it soon.

3) Has the Bug where you can't select certain Csets for a "Next" combo been fixed?

Raichu86
01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Some Questions:
1) What does <slide-proof> mean? (it says that next to the "Rock" and "Zora" enemy)
I'd guess those enemies won't slide when you hit them, but I don't know.

This is great, Dark Nation! Thanks for your hard work on it. :)

Now, let's see about getting regular updates, eh? How about ZC 2.10.1 to fix minor bugs in a few weeks?

ctrl-alt-delete
01-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Alright, I know I left quite some time ago, but that does not mean that I do not check back almost every day for a Zelda Classic update. I just wanted to stop by and say thank you so much to you, DN, for such hard work. You never cease to work your ass off to add whatever our hearts desire, and even though some may be disrespectful about updates, I want you to know that us true fans know how hard you work on Zelda Classic, and our patience has proven to be worthwhile. Thank you so much for everything you do, and I cannot wait to see what else you come up with in the future. :)

Edit: BTW, I knew it was going to be either Christmas or New Years. :p

As for the rest of AGN, good to see some of you guys...but goodbye again. ;)

Tom
01-01-2005, 08:19 PM
How strange the music isn't working for me. I'm using Windows ME and the music has worked on the older versions. It seems to work on the dos version but it only works the first time i use it each time i turn on the computer because windows ME doesnt really support dos. If anyone knows how i can get the music to work on the windows version of zelda classic please tell me. It must be something changed in this new version to do with the music because it definitely works on the older versions.

Edit: Nah ignore that it was just because the SW Synth part of the sound properties was reduced to zero. My brother must have done it to use cubase or something like that. I've been waiting so long for a new version and now my dream has come true woohoo.

Lonemind
01-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I'd like to thank you Dark Nation for the work you've put into Zelda Classic. This new version is awesome. The new features will keep me interested for a long time to come and I LOVE the GUI. Much easier on the eyes. ;P Thanks again.

AlexMax
01-01-2005, 11:49 PM
You're fucking kidding me.......

....jesus CHRIST!

:thumbsup: to DN and the rest of you guys.

Dark_Cloud
01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Wow great job Dark Nation. I was having some problems earlier but they got fixed :). Its really sweet to play the quests that I made with the 184 player on my laptop now :).

Freedom
01-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Yep, Thanks DN, this thing is SWEET.
You've put an incredible amount of work into this, and it shows.
Awesome.

Goteth
01-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Ok I downloaded it and the screen flashes a few times then a dialog box shows up telling me there is an error and asks if I want to debug, send the error to Microsoft or don't send the error. I I think I has this happen once before with an older version, but not sure. Any ideas? I'm using Windows XP in case that helps. Also Zquest does the same thing, so i'm thinking I'm forgetting to do something before running the executable files.

I'm getting the exact same problem. I use Windows XP as well.

Is there a way to fix this?

Fiyerstorm
01-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Cool, DN...

...Yeah..

*b*
01-02-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm getting the exact same problem. I use Windows XP as well.

Is there a way to fix this?

make sure you're a computer admin. it did that to me too, then I set myself as one, and that solved it

Rambly
01-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Awesome... I was really too shocked by this at first to reply, but it shows that DN DOES put a lot of effort into working on Zelda Classic. This is my favorite release of ZC yet. :thumbsup:

IceMan2x
01-02-2005, 02:12 PM
heh, and it only took how long for this to be released since the last public non-beta release? ;)
[yes, I still visit you guys :P if you even know me ;~;]

NerdWarrior
01-02-2005, 02:59 PM
I know you, Skiffy. Raar, bitch.

I'm just hoping for more regular [public] updates in the future, myself. ^^

Ovi
01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I can't get ZC 2.10 to start on my computer, alpha 5 works, and so did beta 183. What am I doing wrong? (Well, I'm not doing anything, it just won't start)

*b*
01-02-2005, 07:21 PM
you sure you got all the support archives? ther's the Allegro, and the other one which contains the quests and files needed to play. better re-download them just to be safe

Nightmare
01-02-2005, 09:04 PM
You need the Support Archive.

-James

Ovi
01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I copied the the new zelda-w in the same folder I had all the files from the beta. The 5th alpha works fine, but zelda-w doesn't. Do you need any extra files for ZC 2.10 that were not needed for Alpha 5? Maybe I forgot to d/l something.

[EDIT] I just checked... I have aleg41.dll instead of alegxx.dll my mistake, thanks for trying to help guys

*b*
01-02-2005, 11:02 PM
um, aleg41.dll is the one you want. I added the 'XX' because I wasn't sure of the number

er, that is assuming you were using my help in another thread, that is...

Blonde799
01-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Seems like everyone is happy.:) I am too, now that I can work on my quests in the new version now without worrying about all the upgrading crud. Hopefully, the team can help address the bugs in this version. A new version that is 98% bug free would be great.:D

DarkFlameWolf
01-03-2005, 02:55 AM
Well, I've noticed that during the first few screen transitions (scrolling wise), that the player for windows stutters on every new map you enter. Is this normal? O_o

Kairyu
01-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Edited Edit:
ME == HAPPY
HUH

Well, I got it to work on my laptop, but I have to run it windowed... ah well. Still runs faster than on my PC.

*b*
01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
query: is the new warp system going to be implimented in one of the (hopefully) near-future releases? that would be a very nice thing to have for a full version release

punkonjunk1024
01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
/me orgasms
/me orgasms again
/orgasms once more

This is, so far, the ABSOLUTE HIGHLIGHT OF MY YEAR.

Thanks, DN. This is sweet beyond words.

EDIT: JW, is there any bugs I should watch out for?

Nick
01-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Example BS is passworded. :odd:

Just figured I would mention that. I'm sure it wasn't intentional. :shrug:

VGWarrior
01-03-2005, 08:39 PM
It amazes me how a computer restart fixes most all of your problems.

The only real error I get...sometimes when it closes, it can't...well, close on its own, and I get some sort of stack trace or something. Should I post what I get the next time it happens?

Freedom
01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
VGWarrior,

I'm willing to bet it's something else causing your stack dumps, something else loaded and running, AOL, or some such thing.

Dark Knight
01-03-2005, 09:42 PM
This is awesome, but, I have one question, how do I get the alternate music to play on the map?

Kairyu
01-03-2005, 11:48 PM
This is awesome, but, I have one question, how do I get the alternate music to play on the map?
Alternate music is VERY finicky. You need to place the music file in the SAME directory as the quest. If it's there, it'll play the alternate MP3/OGG/SPC/IT/MOD/ETC, otherwise it plays the normal MIDI. Which sounds backwards, but hey, at least it plays new file types.

mjctraider
01-03-2005, 11:48 PM
make sure you're a computer admin. it did that to me too, then I set myself as one, and that solved it

I checked and I am set up as the computer admin, but neither executable is working still getting the error ecountered send report to microsoft or not. I guess I'll keep trying stuff out till I either get it to run or till someone else who has the same problemn figures out what I am doing wrong here

{DSG}DarkRaven
01-04-2005, 01:42 AM
DN, you are a god among men for this. My hat is off to you. Now I've just got to wait 20 minutes for it to download over my 56k, because I'm currently getting .6k per second on the windows version.

Freedom
01-04-2005, 04:36 AM
posted by mjctraider,
I checked and I am set up as the computer admin, but neither executable is working still getting the error ecountered send report to microsoft or not. I guess I'll keep trying stuff out till I either get it to run or till someone else who has the same problemn figures out what I am doing wrong here

Did you download all of the files?
Seems you are missing the support files.

maybe this will help.

How to get Zelda Classic working on your PC.
Start by downloading and unzipping all files into a new folder of their own, "ZCBeta" would be a good folder name.

Depending on what version you download, your files should look something like this;

(list of files for the 192b182 beta program)
182test.qst
1st.qst
2nd.qst
3rd.qst
ag.cfg
allegro.log
alleg41.dll
agsetup.exe
sfx.dat
zc192b182d.exe
zc192b182s.exe
zc192b182w.exe
zelda.dat
zelda.exe
zelda (shortcut)
zelda.sav
zelda-w.exe
zgp.dat
zquest.exe
zquest.txt
zquest-w.exe

Now that all these files are there with the exception of maybe the ag.cfg and the Allegro log you need to get the program to write those for you as well.
Double click on "zquest-w.exe", when ZQuest opens, click on ETC at the top right and play lost woods midi.
Click on ETC and turn the music off, and exit ZQuest by clicking on FILE then EXIT.

You should now be able to play the games.
Double click on "zelda-w.exe" and when the flames come up press "Enter" on your keyboard.
Press Enter again to pass the Zelda intro screen.
Register a name, and press enter and the first quest will be ready to play.
Enter the name "zelda" if you would prefer to play the second quest.

Dark Knight
01-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Alternate music is VERY finicky. You need to place the music file in the SAME directory as the quest. If it's there, it'll play the alternate MP3/OGG/SPC/IT/MOD/ETC, otherwise it plays the normal MIDI. Which sounds backwards, but hey, at least it plays new file types.

Ah, thanks. Funny though, I figured out how to use the alternate music shortly after posting, forgote to edit my post though. =/

fatcatfan
01-04-2005, 09:35 AM

The idea was that while MIDIs are small, other files get quite large, and this way people on 56K don't have to download 20 megs of MP3 to enjoy a quest with music.

punkonjunk1024
01-04-2005, 10:43 AM
So, I couldn't get it running, and I am an admin, but if I just DL the ZCwin files and overwrite my older versions, will it work fine, or do I need to DL anything else?

Kairyu
01-04-2005, 02:43 PM
The idea was that while MIDIs are small, other files get quite large, and this way people on 56K don't have to download 20 megs of MP3 to enjoy a quest with music.

I know, it just seems backwards to me that it tries to play the alternate UNLESS the normal file is there.

So, I couldn't get it running, and I am an admin, but if I just DL the ZCwin files and overwrite my older versions, will it work fine, or do I need to DL anything else?

That should do it, but it might not. Just download the first three files in DN's post, unzip them to a single directory, and see what happens.

Well, I got it to run by using it windowed (Go to Start -> Run -> Browse; select the file you want to run -> add "-windowed [-gdi]" without the quotes -> OK). If that solves the problem, you can create a shortcut (Copy the line you used to run the program -> Right Click -> New -> Shortcut -> Paste the line in the dialog box that appears -> OK).
If that doesn't work, try running the program again, and check for a file called "allegro.log" in the directory. Open it up with Notepad, and look at the last line. That should tell you where it's going wrong, I think.

Dark Nation
01-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Try downloading the latest version of DirectX.

As for the alternate music, thing, do you have a better suggestion for what to call it? It was originally called Tracker Music, but once MP# and OGG support was added, it needed a different name. :shrug:

mjctraider
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I have all the support files and I tried this:

(Go to Start -> Run -> Browse; select the file you want to run -> add "-windowed [-gdi]" without the quotes -> OK)

My computer didn't like that. So I have no idea what to do. I am lost as to what to do.

Kairyu
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM

(Go to Start -> Run -> Browse; select the file you want to run -> add "-windowed [-gdi]" without the quotes -> OK)

My computer didn't like that. So I have no idea what to do. I am lost as to what to do.

Well, I'm out of ideas. Did you try getting the latest version of DirectX off the Microsoft homepage like DN suggested? If so, what's the last line in the "allegro.log" file say?

As for the alternate music, thing, do you have a better suggestion for what to call it? It was originally called Tracker Music, but once MP# and OGG support was added, it needed a different name.

"Normal" and "Alternate"? Or "Preferred" and "Backup"? I dunno, like I said it just felt kinda backwards to me.

ZeldaFan001
01-04-2005, 06:38 PM
They gonna update the Zelda Classic site soon with this info? It'd be nice to know all the new features that have been implemented, not the bugs fixed necessarily, just the new features. :)

fatcatfan
01-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Remove the brackets around -gdi

McCrackin
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Man, I haven't used Zelda Classic in ages. I'd really like to try it out now when the Linux version is released.

{DSG}DarkRaven
01-04-2005, 11:47 PM
All right, so, anyone who happened to read the original words of this post shoudl ignore them, as I have belatedly realize that downloading the proper support files for a given program usually fixes most problems. Again, thanks for the hard work, DN.

</edit>

mjctraider
01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Ok I install Microsoft C++ seeing how I am a programmer and all and decided to deguq the program instead of selecting the button to not send the report to Microsoft. The problem that pops up in C++'s debugger is the following:

Unhandled exception in zelda-w.exe(ALLEG41.DLL):0XC000005: Access Violation.

Stepping into the code it seems to be a call to a pointer perhaps to that memory location if I remember my programming correctly. Maybe this will shed some light on my problem and maybe someone will come up with a solution. till then I am going to continue to figure it out myself in case no one has any solutions for me.

Edit:

Ok finally the allegro.log updated instead of being blank evertime I tired to run zelda-w.exe and I would assume this confirms a problem with alleg41.dll, but I could be wrong, still a beginner programmer.

Checking Files... OK
Loading data files:
Zelda.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
SFX.Dat...OK
Loading saved games... Save file not found. Creating new save file.OK
Initializing sound driver... OK
Setting video mode...

{DSG}DarkRaven
01-05-2005, 12:05 AM
You should download the alleg41.dll that DN links to in his post. It's newer than the versions in the older ZC betas, so that might help. I know it's gotten me a step closer to fixing my issues.

Freedom
01-05-2005, 01:41 AM
mjctraider.
When you first download everything into your folder, you should open zquest-w.exe and play the lost woods midi.
The program then will write you several files, ag.cfg, allegro.log etc.
THEN open zelda-w.exe and it should work.

If all else fails, read the instructions :)

DarkFlameWolf
01-05-2005, 03:48 AM
so let me clarify, have their been any recent uploadings of ZC 2.10 with bug fixes after the initial release on New Year's DN?

MottZilla
01-05-2005, 04:38 AM
DFW, any "bug fixes" would be released as something like ZC 2.11 or something. As far as I've seen 2.10 is the latest released.

fatcatfan
01-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I'll try to put together an installer for these sometime this weekend, since people seem to be having trouble putting all the files in one place. If someone gets ambitious they could go ahead and do it themselves:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/download/

Questwizard88
01-05-2005, 10:50 AM
This is much better than b183 was, but I don't like a few things. Here's a list of them:

Static in the little map in the bottom right corner of the screen. Same for the tile editor when there's no tile copied. This is slowing things down, and it makes it hard to see the little 3x3 pixel screen selector box in the map, especially when the static seems to be a light gray, and the box is white. I would rather have it just be black again. Maybe an option to turn it off?
Again, in the tile editor, I don't like only having the gray grid now. The gray grid is making it very difficult for me to make tiles. Making the spacebar change between gray and the dark blue again might be good.
Yet another tile editor thing. This time, it deals with selecting tiles. Can we have a key combination such as Ctrl-Shift-Home, that would select tiles from the currently selected tile to the beginning of the row of tiles. Also, that would require Ctrl-Shift-End to go to the end. It's kind of annoying when you have to use the arrow keys just to do it, since the home and end keys go to the beginning and end of the current tile page now.
The light gray in the palette editor is making it hard to select the right colors. A very dark gray ( 4,4,4 ) , is looking like pure black with the gray backgrounds.
Overall, it's a very good job, execpt for those slight annoyances. I also have a couple questions about some things:

1) How do you go about using the Full Link Tile Modifier rule? I've tried a couple things, and haven't had any luck.
2) Will there ever be an option to not only change the Before Map and After Map minimaps for DMaps, but also the other areas in the subscreen that use the borders, like the border around the items?

Also, I found one slight bug. Not too serious, but still annoying. In the Map Colors window, when you click the 3 tab, sometimes you can't edit those 5 values. Going out of the Map Colors window, and coming back in usually fixes it though.

Dark Nation
01-05-2005, 11:36 AM
To move to the beginning or end of the current tile line, do a ctrl-left or ctrl-right. To select the same, hold shift down while moving.

At some point, I hope to make the subscreen almost completely customizable, maybe even to the extent of being DMap- (or level-) oriented (like the map tiles).

Blonde799
01-05-2005, 04:41 PM
1) How do you go about using the Full Link Tile Modifier rule? I've tried a couple things, and haven't had any luck.

The rule just makes the variable modifier of an item affect most of link's tiles I believe. With it off, the variable mod for items only affect a few of link's tiles.

mjctraider
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
mjctraider.
When you first download everything into your folder, you should open zquest-w.exe and play the lost woods midi.
The program then will write you several files, ag.cfg, allegro.log etc.
THEN open zelda-w.exe and it should work.

If all else fails, read the instructions :)

I did that on several occasions and still get the access violation. Maybe it just doesn't like me. Well just for laughs I thought I'd try it again for the 20th time and reinstalled everything and ran zquest first and surprise surpirse it gave me the access violation again and here's what is in the allegro.log file:

ZQuest v2.10 (Build 0)
Allocating MIDI buffer (9.84k/9.84k)... OK
Allocating map buffer (185.94k/195.78k)... OK
Allocating string buffer (6.75M/6.94M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/7.10M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (51.00k/7.15M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.49M/8.64M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (158.11k/8.80M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.79M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.00k/16.90M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (14.00k/16.91M)... OK
Allocating combo undo buffer (1.49M/18.40M)... OK
Allocating tile undo buffer (8.00M/26.40M)... OK
Allocating file path buffers (1.25k/26.40M)... OK
Loading data files:
ZQuest.Dat...OK
ZGP.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
OK

I click on zquest it flashes three times and appears to be in windowed format and then the message box appears on the window. I give up and I'm waving the white flag.

Freedom
01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Here's mine
This may have been ask, but I really don't want to go back over all of these posts to see.
What are you running, XP?
What version of direct X?
IF XP are you Adminisrator?
If XP, do you have window blinds turned off?

ZQuest v2.10 (Build 0)
Allocating MIDI buffer (9.84k/9.84k)... OK
Allocating map buffer (185.94k/195.78k)... OK
Allocating string buffer (6.75M/6.94M)... OK
Allocating door combo buffer (159.50k/7.10M)... OK
Allocating dmap buffer (51.00k/7.15M)... OK
Allocating combo buffer (1.49M/8.64M)... OK
Allocating color data buffer (158.11k/8.80M)... OK
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.79M)... OK
Allocating trash buffer (97.66k/16.89M)... OK
Allocating weapon buffer (2.00k/16.90M)... OK
Allocating guy buffer (14.00k/16.91M)... OK
Allocating combo undo buffer (1.49M/18.40M)... OK
Allocating tile undo buffer (8.00M/26.40M)... OK
Allocating file path buffers (1.25k/26.40M)... OK
Loading data files:
ZQuest.Dat...OK
ZGP.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
OK
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Reading Header...okay.
Reading Rules...okay.
Reading Strings...okay.
Reading Doors...okay.
Reading DMaps...okay.
Reading Misc. Data...okay.
Reading Items...okay.
Reading Weapons...okay.
Reading Maps...okay.
Reading Combos...okay.
Reading Color Data...okay.
Reading Tiles...okay.
Reading MIDIs...okay.
Reading Cheat Codes...okay.
Reading Init. Data...okay.
Reading Enemy Data...okay.
Done.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...okay.
Opening...okay.
Reading Header...okay.
Reading Rules...okay.
Reading Strings...okay.
Reading Doors...okay.
Reading DMaps...okay.
Reading Misc. Data...okay.
Reading Items...okay.
Reading Weapons...okay.
Reading Maps...okay.
Reading Combos...okay.
Reading Color Data...okay.
Reading Tiles...okay.
Reading MIDIs...okay.
Reading Cheat Codes...okay.
Reading Init. Data...okay.
Reading Enemy Data...okay.
Done.
Saving Quest...

Writing Header...okay.
Writing Rules...okay.
Writing Strings...okay.
Writing Doors...okay.
Writing DMaps...okay.
Writing Misc. Data...okay.
Writing Items...okay.
Writing Weapons...okay.
Writing Maps...okay.
Writing Combos...okay.
Writing Color Data...okay.
Writing Tiles...okay.
Writing MIDIs...okay.
Writing Cheat Codes...okay.
Writing Init. Data...okay.
Writing Enemy Data...okay.
Encrypting...okay.

fatcatfan
01-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I click on zquest it flashes three times and appears to be in windowed format and then the message box appears on the window. I give up and I'm waving the white flag.

Have you tried using some of the different video options to see if that fixes your problem? Try adding either of these (but not both at once) to the command line for Zelda or ZQuest:

-fullscreen -directx -safe
-fullscreen -directx -soft
-windowed -gdi

You had added some of these before, but improperly I think. Also, are both the player *and* the quest editor crashing in this manner? If any of these options work for the player, please report to me what "Help->Video Mode" (or something similar) says. You wouldn't be using a laptop by any chance would you?

mjctraider
01-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Here's mine
This may have been ask, but I really don't want to go back over all of these posts to see.
What are you running, XP?
What version of direct X?
IF XP are you Adminisrator?
If XP, do you have window blinds turned off?

Yes I am running XP, the very very latest version of DirectX is on my computer I am the adniistrator and I have no idea what window blinds are, first time using XP for me. And to answer another persons question both the player and quest maker crash in the same manner and no I am not using a labtop. I'm getting a headache from trying to get it to work and I apologize for giving anyone else a headache for trying to help me out here.

Joe_Cracker
01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
It's a good thing it isn't 2.0 cause I heard that version was nothing but a virus.

I am hoping I can make a good sequel to my 1.90 quest "Realm of Shamanock"

fate_dragoon
01-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I've not been in for a long long long long long time and most of you may not even know me. But Great job on the new zelda classic!
I'm downloading it now(stupid dial-up -.-) I can't wait to try it out :3

{DSG}DarkRaven
01-06-2005, 01:48 AM
MJC, what do you mean, it flashes three times? Do you mean it flashes like it's being minimized and restored, or like it's going from fullscreen to windowed and back? If that's the case, then I've had your problem before. And the solution is deceptively simple...

My good sir, you must click. Click like a mad man, like a spastic telegraph operator. You must be John Henry in the race against the steam powered clicking machine. You must click as if your very life, and lo, the very fate of the universe depended on it! For God's sake man, for all that is well and good in this world, YOU MUST CLICK!!

Well, dramatics aside, if you are indeed suffering from the same problem as me, rapid clicking ought to solve the process whenever this sort of thing occurs. You see, I'm not a coding genius or anything, but I have a theory. My theory is that ZC has a disagreement with Windows XP about resolutions, and I'm not talking about their respective goals for 2005. ZC runs at a very low resolution in full screen, something like 320x400 or something low like that. I think. And Windows does not like this. No, not at all! So being the bigger program that it is, it simply gives ZC a big old slap upside the head in the form of an access violation. ZC tries in vain on it's own, struggling to convice XP to let it run in a low res full screen, but alas, it has no luck.

But the clicking solution does work, for as the movie TRON taught us, Users have 1337 powers. If you click fast enough, you're liable to get a click onto ZC itself, and NOT the desktop. This is important, because for whatever reason, if you do it right, ZC wins the screen resizing battle and opens. I've had this issue with other programs, and not just ZC, so I don't think it's an issue exclusive to ZC. It's just a resolution thing.

Hopefully this will help. Good luck!

Tsu Ryu
01-06-2005, 07:53 AM
I still would had loved to see that NSF feature implemented in the future version of Zelda Classic, since it seems like a wonderful idea to begin with.. Especially the feature to use Tracker MOD/XM/S3M and IT files to boot with that for the happiness. =)

Oh yes, anyone whom is specialized in programming the NSF area for the future ZC software, you might want to have a gander at this:

http://www.slack.net/~ant/nes-emu/libs.html#Game_Music_Emu

AJLetson
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
You won't believe how long I've waited for this. Thanks DN.

mjctraider
01-06-2005, 03:23 PM
It's hard to say what it is doing it flashes so fast that all I really see is the top part of the window for zquest or the player and then the display box appears about sending the error report. It doesn't look like it is being minimized and then restored. I tried clicking like a mad man and once there was a box that appeared about a problem with the sound and then twice while clicking like a mad man the screen went completely blue and to the middle left side of the screen in white letters was zquest-w. I have no idea what that means.

Edit: I doubt this would change anything, but would the fact that I am using XP Professional make it more difficult for me to get both the quest editor and the player to work?

fatcatfan
01-06-2005, 06:14 PM
No that shouldn't make a difference. Did you try changing the command-line options as I suggested?

Rydia
01-06-2005, 08:30 PM
10. Added a new bp option to the tile grabber. Pressing the 'N' key will switch the grab style to NES. This allows tiles to be lifted more easily from NES games.

11. Added a new option to the grabber. Pressing the 'B' key will cycle through the different bit plane settings (1, 2, NES, 4, and 8).

Ok, what exactly do these do? I've been pushing them when in the grabber, but it seems as though nothing happens.

Questwizard88
01-06-2005, 08:56 PM
They only seem to work if you have a file other than one of the following opened:

Exported Graphics Pack
Exported Tiles
Images

mjctraider
01-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Yes I did tried and a message box appeared saying something along the lines of cannot find file or invalid path or something like that. Even saw an example I believe was in this link which showed the properties window of a shortcut for zelda-w.exe and tried that and still my computer didn't like it. I'll keep on trying till I've finally had it and I'll just give up and forget about it.

{DSG}DarkRaven
01-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Did you download the first three files DN listed at the beginning of this post? ZC for windows, the Alleg41.dll, and the third support archive (many files)?

Also, do yourself a favor and turn error reporting off. Microsoft doesn't give a crap about most of the errors you get anyway.

Freedom
01-07-2005, 12:39 AM
mjctraider,
Do other versions work in your computer?

I run windows 98, BUT My brother runs XP PRO, and I took him a copy of the 184 over, slapped it all on his puter' and it ran like a top.
I didn't have to do any tweaking.
I haven't taken over the 2.10 for him yet, but I bet it would be the same.

I had some similar problems as you a while back, when I decided to start using the windows versions instead of the DOS, I discovered that the alleg41.dll's I had were all mixed up, how this happened I have no clue, since when I D/L a new version everything goes in a new folder.
I just kept swapping out what I had until they would run, and then tweaked them from there.
It did the same thing you describe about, the window just flashed then closed.

fatcatfan
01-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes I did tried and a message box appeared saying something along the lines of cannot find file or invalid path or something like that.
If it said that then you didn't have the shortcut set properly. Most likely it is because the path to which you installed ZC contains spaces and you needed quotes around it before adding options. Windows is picky about that sort of thing; it has nothing to do with ZC itself.

change the target to look like
"C:\path to\zc2.10\zquest.exe" -windowed -gdi

or
"C:\path to\zc2.10\zquest.exe" -fullscreen -directx -soft

Anyway, don't completely give up. If you still can't get it, I'll be putting out an installer late tonight that should take care of setting up the shortcuts for you.

death2004
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
4 words for DN........You Are A GOD!!!!!!!! it runs smoothly on my 128mb Ram 400mhz win98 system....no slowdown, the player is smooth.......and the new interface......:o (heh, i'll admit this, same menu guidance but i got lost with the smaller GUI size.....) the only problem i have had is that on occasion(this isn't the first ZC i've had BIG problems with) ZQuest/ZC sometimes crashes my system upon exiting(the Windows version is too demanding for my system), Anyone that could help me, i would be very grateful...( i have perfect boot-up of ZC/Zquest, but closing sometimes gives me this headache, also, i will post my pc's specs if anyone needs them to help me)

mjctraider
01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
D'oh and the whole time I was putting the command line options inside the qoutes. Ok so I put the command line options on the outside of the qoutes and -fullscreen does not work, -windowed. Now I finally got zquest to work and open up the problem through is even with the -res command line options and the x,y coordinates set to whatever I set them to and I've looked at some examples in another thread zquest only opens up in a little square window in the center of the screen and I can't get it to do anything. So I'm gonna look back at the thread about the -res command line options and hopefully get it to work 100%.

I thank everyone tremdously for helping me out and I'm glad I didn't loss my sanity. I just hope now I can actually make the window for zquest bigger so I can actually lick on lost woods midi to set up the configation file for allegro.

Edit:

I was able to make the zquest window a little larger using -large command line, however no matter the size of the window for zquest the mouse cursor disppears whenever I try to mouse ouver the window. Also a lot of different color pixels appear inside the window. I will keep trying diffiirent command lines till it works and if all else fails I'll go back to the drawing board and ask for help. Again thanks to all who helped.

Freedom
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
you need a space before -fullscreen

why not just double click on zelda-w.exe, it opens in full screen that way for me.
I don't even use shortcuts.

MottZilla
01-07-2005, 05:39 PM
This might sound silly...but why isn't it opening for me?

Allegro 4.1.xxxx was updated and ZC will exit out when it detects a lower version of Allegro 4.1 than in the newest support archive. Get it and it'll work, the older alleg41.dll from beta 183 doesn't work with ZC 2.10.

fatcatfan
01-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I was able to make the zquest window a little larger using -large command line, however no matter the size of the window for zquest the mouse cursor disppears whenever I try to mouse ouver the window. Also a lot of different color pixels appear inside the window. I will keep trying diffiirent command lines till it works and if all else fails I'll go back to the drawing board and ask for help. Again thanks to all who helped.Instead of using -large, try -scale 2 or -scale 3

System Error
01-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Nice, but here's some things I don't like about it.

The static: Add an option to turn it off. It's incredibly distracting and slows down my computer.
The animation for other stuff: Many things in ZQ are animated, and it's annoying. Add an option to make it stop.
The fact that the program seems to INSIST that you use CSet 0 when moving to blank screens. IIRC, in 183, it just used the last palette you were using. Now, it keeps switching to CSet 0. This would be INCREDIBLY annoying if you were making anything that is using a CSet higher than 9, and it'll still be annoying if you were using one below 9 (but not 0). You'd have to either keep using the Copy function, or keep switching it.

Freedom
01-07-2005, 10:16 PM
This new version ruined the quest I've been building since last May.
Cycling combos are ALL screwed up, half work, half don't, can't get new ones to work, and can't seem to get any response to my posts asking about it.

Obviously I've wasted 8 months, because you can't even get doors to open any longer in my quest.
It would take me another 8 months just to fix what the 2.10 has screwed up.
Time for a Zelda Classic vacation for me.
Other then that. it's a real nice release.

Orion
01-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Nice, but here's some things I don't like about it.

The static: Add an option to turn it off. It's incredibly distracting and slows down my computer.
The animation for other stuff: Many things in ZQ are animated, and it's annoying. Add an option to make it stop.
The fact that the program seems to INSIST that you use CSet 0 when moving to blank screens. IIRC, in 183, it just used the last palette you were using. Now, it keeps switching to CSet 0. This would be INCREDIBLY annoying if you were making anything that is using a CSet higher than 9, and it'll still be annoying if you were using one below 9 (but not 0). You'd have to either keep using the Copy function, or keep switching it.

I would have to agree. The static for whatever reason makes it really hard to pick the screen you want. Also, having to switch all screens manually gets very tedious when you want to use something other than CSets 0-9, like you said. They are really nit-picky things, but in the long run, they make quest building a lot harder than it used to be.

fatcatfan
01-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I've uploaded an NSIS installer for the Windows version. Get it here:
http://fatcatfan.armageddongames.net/zc/zc210w.exe
It creates Start Menu shortcuts for most useful ZC and ZQuest options, sets your quest directory, etc. The shortcuts installed to your desktop should always start ZC or ZQuest in the same mode it was last used (based on ag.cfg)

mjctraider
01-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Yes I tried that after I posted and it worked, but didn't have time to reedit my post again because I had to go to work. Now hopefully the player will work in the same manner. In theory it should, but knowing my luck, i'm not gonna hold my breath.

ZTC
01-08-2005, 03:07 PM
sonofa--
2.10!?
well, now I have a bevy of new features to work with in zquest...
I...am...estatic :) :D :cool: :spin: :highfive: :thumbsup: :bouncy: :mega: :drool:
time to update my quests in progress....

Zelda_Warrior
01-09-2005, 11:04 PM
I have no clue why, but the editor runs handy dandy, but when I open Zelda-w, it runs at about 5 FPS. My comp. cant be too slow since I have 320 megs of SD Ram, a pentium 2 running at 266, and a rage XL (Rage Pro) 3D excellerator with enough hard disk space and an XG sound card. What is up with this?

phil
01-10-2005, 06:11 PM
I...need...linux Version!!!

Can't...wait...much...longer!!!

Ich
01-11-2005, 05:36 PM
I want a Linux version too, but I hate rpm's. I'll live.

Ganonator
01-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I have no clue why, . . . a pentium 2 running at 266 That's the problem.

Manny
01-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Awesome. simply put awesome. I love it. it's amazing, and i love it. it's great. didn't discover this till now, but thanks for everything and all your hard work and efforts for us the fans. I really appreciate. It's time for me to get back into ZC.
Cheers you guys :D
saúde!
-manny

fatcatfan
01-12-2005, 09:14 AM
That's the problem.

I'm not so sure - I get 50fps on a 100MHz Pentium 1 laptop.

punkonjunk1024
01-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey, I guess we should be thanking you, too, FCF, as a co-programmer/developer? Or I'm on crack, and don't know whats going on. :goofy:
Either way, this is incredible. I can't wait to start getting into this new version.

Lutraphobiac
01-12-2005, 03:45 PM
I haven't really gotten into the game or editor, but I just want to congratulate Dark Nation and everyone else who worked on this. You guys obviously put a lot of effort into this version.

jesusfreak
01-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Must say, very nice job on the windows update, and I cant wait for the Mac port for my labtop. Keep up the hard work

Steezy20
01-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Wahey, been 8 years since I last played this. Classic. Tah DN

timewarp44
01-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Okay, I acknowledge the fact that I'm not all "up" on stuff. I show myself mercy so maybe ya'll will too. I am like... old...lol

I assume I need this 2.10 to play the new games wrote on it? And yet can't seem to get it to work. I've downloaded the one for windows, and the alleg41.dll file. (I did get that much) But though I'm no longer getting that dll needed window now it's saying illegal operation and still not working. Neither icon is working.

Also, this didn't load itself like the other versions did. I made it its own file folder but should I have put it with the original Zelda Classic File? Nothing went to my start/programs?

ANY help will be appreciated. A friend of mine has a new game on this version and I really want to check it out. :o) Thanks....

fatcatfan
01-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Get the installer to take care of everything for you:
http://fatcatfan.armageddongames.net/zc/zc210w.exe

timewarp44
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Get the installer to take care of everything for you:
I had wondered about that file. I wasn't sure though, does it have 2.10 IN it... or would I have to figure out how to use it with my other zip?

Guess I'll go find out! :o) Thanks fatcat and if I have trouble figureing it out...
"iiiii'll be back" ;)

fatcatfan
01-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes, the installer contains everything you need to install ZC2.10 for windows. It sets up desktop and start menu shortcuts, and allows you to choose the installation directory. Though, come to think of it, it may not work if you install to a path with spaces. It may not set the quest directory properly in that case.....

timewarp44
01-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I got it~! Yaeeeee.... All this time I was thinking that was like an extra something that though might have all I needed... was going to take more know how to use. (speaking of the installer) But it WAS the download for dummies...lololol Thanks fatcat... I'm up and ready for some new games! :o)

sand
01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Is there one going for Mac users yet? I never did hear what happened with the Mac Beta. Maybe I just overlooked it somewhere.
I am just wondering if the testing for the Mac Beta is over or still going on? Sorry, I cannot find the information anywhere. Since I am a tester I thought I would have heard something.

sand :odd:

fatcatfan
01-18-2005, 03:37 PM
DN has yet to release a Mac binary, to my knowledge.

ZZT
01-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Will there be a ZConsole for this? >.>

Blonde799
01-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Check Mottzilla's sig.;)

Dark Nation
01-20-2005, 08:40 AM
As for the Mac/Linux ports, I'm making a few tweaks to correct some problems that were prevent them from running.

Odanaki
01-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I have tried to play a few Quests with this 2.10 Version. In some cases, quests made for the 1.90 version just won't get started. Some other quests were done with vesion 1.92 beta 163, 183, 184 and so on.

Do we have to try and test each quest to discover if they will play on this new version or is there some kind of a general rule?

TIA

Trunks
01-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Finaly I have been waiting for ever for this now i can maybe get back into quest build around my life. thank you so much for make my day with this i am glad i looked for an update on V 2.0 now i have it.

Dark Nation
01-21-2005, 08:29 AM
If you know of a quest that won't run in 2.10, let me know about it (a publicly avaliable one is best). Then, I can find out why and try to fix the problem in ZC.

Odanaki
01-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks for answering Dark Nation,

I tried again a few Quests. Here is what is happening. When I start the quest for the first time, I cannot move Link in any way. The «Hero» stand frozen. But if I quit the game and come back after clincking on continue, then the whole thing comes alive. And the quest is playable.

Here are some 1.90 Quests I was talking about:

KeyQuest Magma Lord 2001-04-20

A Link to the past Magma Lord 2001-06-20

The Golden Land Magma Lord 2001-04-20

Dark Ones Magma Lord 2001-06-20

Chris World C-Money 2001-07-19

Escape from Hyrule Qale 2002-03-16

Please note that I did not try them all for the purpose of answering you. It is the same situation for all these Quests.

*b*
01-22-2005, 08:28 PM
I just noticed something in the ag.cfg file (yes, I went in there). for the player portion of the file, it calls it [zeldadx]. isn't that the name ZC originally had before the FIRST public release? that should probably be fixed (it's nothing big. hell, I'm suprised nobody has noticed it so far)

Blonde799
01-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Noticed it LONG ago. I just didn't care.:p

jesusfreak
01-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Here is a 1.90 quest that doent work

Fantasia - The Neverending Story 06.05.2004

g.iaroos
01-24-2005, 12:32 AM
jesus, the 2.10 player is not what I really recommend to play 1.90 quests. In fact I would not recommend it at all. Just check out the bugs section at the "post all your 2.10 bugs here" and you should have an idea of how 2.10 is not compatible with 1.90. The best I can recommend you is the 1.92 b163 player. Now wish that the quest you'll be playing won't have any fairies giving items in it because this bug is also present in that version :tongue:

Thalog
01-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Um, where can I download it? it isn't on the page

fatcatfan
01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
For crying out loud, the link is on the first page of this thread.

Thalog
01-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Woops, missed it. I only saw the link to that GIF image.

fritzjames
02-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Any word on the mac release yet?

pixoid
02-01-2005, 01:39 PM
I am also interested in the Mac release. Any word on ETA?
Thanks.

The Great Guy
02-04-2005, 09:30 AM
OMG! I can't beleive it! It's actually released! THNAK YOU DN! :D

Lord_of_Hyrule
02-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Problem on ZQuest I can't find the "new subscreen" rule in the list

Blonde799
02-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Since there are more than 2 subscreens, it's not in there anymore. The Quest menu I think has the option(s) now.

Anita Mitchem
02-08-2005, 09:54 AM
I copied the the new zelda-w in the same folder I had all the files from the beta. The 5th alpha works fine, but zelda-w doesn't. Do you need any extra files for ZC 2.10 that were not needed for Alpha 5? Maybe I forgot to d/l something.

[EDIT] I just checked... I have aleg41.dll instead of alegxx.dll my mistake, thanks for trying to help guys Were do you go to find aleg41.dll and alegxx.dll? Please Help?

fatcatfan
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
You need alleg41.dll, not allegXX.dll, and alleg41.dll is included in the Windows installer.

Coder GT
02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Great program, awesome update.

McCrackin
02-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Will the new structure for the QSU's be released? 2.10 quests are not loadable.

fatcatfan
02-15-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm working on some C++ classes to make working with QSUs easy. But the data hasn't really changed much between versions, it's just divided into sections with ID, VERSION, and SIZE headers for each section. Surely you can figure it out. ;) I'll put together something quick and post it in the "anatomy" thread in developers exchange.

sidescroller
02-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Not to sound like an ungrateful nag... but when is the mac version coming? I'm desperate!

Can you atleast give us an estimate?

Sylvan_Wizard
02-20-2005, 01:23 PM
What about a linux version? I've been waiting forever. :/
Or at least make it so it'll run under wine or cedega.
I'll help with beta testing if it means I can play with it sooner. :)

jjacklyn
02-21-2005, 10:40 PM
I can't play Link To Tortuga after I've download

Freedom
02-21-2005, 11:25 PM
jjacklyn,
This may be the wrong forum, but since you give so little info then it's hard to say.

Can you play other custom quests in the 2.10?

Did you download the 2.10 and install it to have the program needed to play custom quests?

If so, does the original quest work?

Do you know how to load custom quests into the 2.10?

dovercrest
02-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Been waiting for a mac version since i switched over nearly three years ago - I can't belive it's almost here! Yippee Skippee...

Thank you.

Anita Mitchem
03-05-2005, 02:27 PM
HOW DO I GET THE QUEST'S WORKING FOR ZC2.10 ? CAN ANYONE HELP ME. THANK YOU, [email protected]

fate_dragoon
03-05-2005, 10:28 PM
frist thing:I have not been hear almost ever but Im glad that you came out with a new verson of zelda classic Great job!
2nd thing:Anita Mitchem open ZC hold down the alt button and select the file slot you want hit A for opening a custom quest then a window will open asking you where the quest is and what one do you want to open then select the quest you want to open then hit OK or open or whatever then when it's opened it hit the B button then hit enter on whatever User slot thing you loaded the custom quest into and hit Enter. And I don't thin it is wise to type in caps.

jjacklyn
03-18-2005, 04:57 AM
jjacklyn,
This may be the wrong forum, but since you give so little info then it's hard to say.

Can you play other custom quests in the 2.10?

Did you download the 2.10 and install it to have the program needed to play custom quests?

If so, does the original quest work?

Do you know how to load custom quests into the 2.10?

Can U tell me how to load custom quests into the 2.10?

jjacklyn
03-18-2005, 05:00 AM
Can u tell me how to load custom quests into the 2.10? :(

Freedom
03-18-2005, 10:17 AM
How to load custom quests in Zelda Classic
1) Double click on zelda-w.exe
2) Press "Enter" to pass the flames.
3) Press "Enter" to pass the Zelda intro screen.
4) register a name, and press enter.
5) press "A" (Alt)
6) Press "A" (Alt) again
7) browse to the quest you want to play, choose it and press "ok"
8) press "Enter" to play.
The above steps assume you have put the custom quest in the folder with Zelda Classic :O)

Sylvan_Wizard
03-19-2005, 09:49 AM
ZC.com says the Linux version is in testing... is it an open test? Or do you need an invite or something?

I got ZC running on Linux via DOSbox, but it's very very slow. :( The music plays fine, but it was running at about 1 frame per second, and I have a 3Ghz CPU. It speeds up at the Quest screen though, but pagefaults when I try to register my name.
Zquest runs fine until it gets to "Reading tiles..." then has a pagefault.

I also tried with dosemu, which ran faster, but it stops at:
Allocating tile buffer (8.00M/16.78M)... Error
Zquest gives an error at the same place.

phil
03-20-2005, 10:36 PM
You know I have been waiting a really long time for this linux version...few weeks my butt...longest few weeks I've ever seen.

Coder GT
03-21-2005, 01:00 AM
You know...for now you could just download a windows emulator and then download the windows version of the game.

Sylvan_Wizard
03-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Running the Win32 version in wine gives a page fault as well. In cedega it doesn't display properly and you can't make anything out. It also locked up X when I tried to exit.

*b*
03-30-2005, 07:14 PM
just a little typo I found while playing with the weapons sprites; the master sword label reads "Sword 3 (Master)"

fatcatfan
03-30-2005, 07:28 PM
What exactly is wrong with that label? The labels have been re-worked and alphabetized so like items are together. *shrug* Oh... wait... Master should probably be 4 shouldn't it?

Blonde799
03-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Ya gettin' rusty FCF.:p

SolemnGamer
04-03-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm downloading the "ZC2.1 For Dummies" since I've never used ZC <_<

teirh
04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
In cedega it doesn't display properly and you can't make anything out. It also locked up X when I tried to exit.

Give this a try:

cedega -use-pthreads no zelda-w.exe -- zelda-w.exe -windowed -res 640 480 big

That works for me, and the game runs pretty well, considering. Using -fullscreen will give you a corrupted display, but if you hide the window decorations on the 640x480 window and lower the resolution of your X-server, you should do fine. I've found the game needs to be started in a resolution higher than what you pass to the game with -res, or else it will spit out "Resolution not supported."

The best way I've found to deal with this is to start the game in a second X-server (with a windowmanager also running), and then use the windomanager to hide the window decorations. Then switch down to 640x480 and maximize the window, and you'll get your "fullscreen."

I wrote a little script so I might as well post it:

#!/bin/bash

ZC="cedega -use-pthreads no -use-dos-cwd \
$HOME/.transgaming/c_drive/zeldaclassic-1.92-b183/ \
$HOME/.transgaming/c_drive/zeldaclassic-1.92-b183/zelda-w.exe -- \
zelda-w.exe -windowed -res 640 480 big"
X_DISPLAY=":2"
XORG_CONFIG="xorg.conf.800x600_640x480"
X="/usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp"
YOUR_FAVORITE_WM="/usr/X11R6/bin/startfluxbox"

$X $X_DISPLAY -xf86config $XORG_CONFIG &
export DISPLAY=$X_DISPLAY
$YOUR_FAVORITE_WM &
$ZC

# There has got to be a better way to do this:
for pid in `ps aux | grep ${XORG_CONFIG} | awk '{print $2}'`; do
kill $pid
done
exit

It's extremely ugly and written in a hurry by a linux n00b (me), so Your Mileage May Vary. Use at your own risk, I'm not responsible if your computer explodes, etc, etc...

If the game runs insanely fast (you get ridiculously high framerates), try turning Vsync on and then back off again. I don't know why this works at all. If you turn Vsync back on, you'll be back to 400+ FPS. :)

I just got ZC 1.92 beta 183 working using the above method. (I had been trying for quite some time ;)). ZC 2.10 also starts and runs, but I get no sound. In allegro.log I've got:

Initializing sound driver... Sound driver not available. Sound disabled.
No idea why. :(
At least something works.

It's not perfect and a bit of a pain, but at least it will give us something to play with until the linux build gets released. I first downloaded ZC back in the 1.84 days, and was therefore understandably quite pleased to finally get it running on my linux box. :)

teirh

chipdiddy
04-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Hey guys, it seems like it's been ages since i've used ZC (I downloaded v1.91 in like 2001 or 2002), and since then I've switched to Mac, I was just wondering if that Mac version is going to be up and running any time soon.

Deviance
04-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Yeah there is a mac beta version out. It is really buggy and unstable though.

Sylvan_Wizard
04-13-2005, 11:10 PM
teirh, -use-pthreads isn't a valid option for me, but I tried without and now it works. Thanks.
I have no sound either though.
Zquest also runs, but the window is very small (about 1/8th of my screen).

enigma_0Z
04-20-2005, 04:34 PM
do you have to use cegeda to run ZC & ZQ?

I need a linux build to have it om my own linux installation... (don't have the money for cegeda)

EDIt: It seems that linux users like using John Crichton (SP?) Av's...

teirh
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
do you have to use cegeda to run ZC & ZQ?

As far as I know, that is the only viable option, until the linux build is released.

I tried running it in regular wine and had no luck. You could always try it, though.

I need a linux build to have it om my own linux installation... (don't have the money for cegeda)

Well (hopefully) the linux build should be released soon...

fluffythehutt
04-22-2005, 03:39 AM
I cant seem to get the installer to work. Every time I start it up it stops and tells me "error opening file for writing"

I have downloaded all 4 zip files and unzipped them in the same folder. Z quest gives me an error and says to press a key when I try to run it. The main game starts up fine. When I get to the name registration screen it fades to really dark and doesnt let me set up a name. It does however let me use the escape button and if I press up or down i can hear the cursor moving sound.

Do I need other versions of Zelda Classic to run this one(I used to have it on my other computer but it stopped working and all attempts to revive it failed so I stopped playing.

dafeedil
04-22-2005, 09:46 AM
ok, stooooopid question time, I think I went thru all the threads and couldn't find anything, unless I missed it. Can I make the 2.10 window any bigger? I'm playing shattered courage right now, and it's like playing it on a gameboy it's so small. can I enlarge it? I know it's probably a dumb question. thanks :shrug:

Rakki
04-22-2005, 12:00 PM
You can make it fullscreen, actually. Open your ZC folder, right-click either zelda.exe, or the Zelda MS-Dos shortcut created by opening zelda.exe, and click Properties. Go to the program tab, and in the "Cmd line" box, either remove '-windowed' from the end of the line, or if it's not there, add '-fullscreen' without the quotes. Hit Ok at the bottom of the window, then open whichever file you just edited, and it SHOULD be full-screened.

dafeedil
04-23-2005, 08:56 AM
You can make it fullscreen, actually. Open your ZC folder, right-click either zelda.exe, or the Zelda MS-Dos shortcut created by opening zelda.exe, and click Properties. Go to the program tab, and in the "Cmd line" box, either remove '-windowed' from the end of the line, or if it's not there, add '-fullscreen' without the quotes. Hit Ok at the bottom of the window, then open whichever file you just edited, and it SHOULD be full-screened.

All's I can say about myself is, ummm, DUH. :poke: Thanks for your help! I was standing in the wrong line when they were passing out smart directions!! I was standing in the beauty and charm aisle, in fact, I'm still here!! :whap:

fluffythehutt
04-23-2005, 06:06 PM
So no one is going to help me out.

Rakki
04-23-2005, 06:08 PM
I'd try to help, but I don't really know what to tell you. Did you try installing version 1.92 again, since you said you had that working before?

fluffythehutt
04-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Yeah I tried to reinstall ver. 1.92 it didnt help it couldnt load the main 1st quest and Zquest didnt work. I tried the next earliest version it also couldnt load the 1st quest and doesnt appear to have a quest editor.

Nicholas Steel
05-01-2005, 03:16 AM
hi im not sure if this is the right place for this but for people who experience
midi music notes being stuck or played repetitivly could fix this problem by copying

zcmusic.dll from zelda classic 1.92b184_win32 to their zelda classic 2.10win32 folder

this apeard to fix my problem

for future comments on this topic send me an email @ [email protected]

and yes my email is different to my profiles

sorry about that the bug seems to occur randomly because it didn't occur for one whole day and now its doin' it again

I HEART DOTS...
05-07-2005, 11:02 PM
for some reason, my computer wont let me play ZC...... it tells me that it has an error creating a quest....... i get the below message in a text document ina txt file called allegro.log.......
Checking Files... OK
Loading data files:
Zelda.Dat...OK
Fonts.Dat...OK
SFX.Dat...OK
Loading saved games... Format error. Resetting game data... OK
Setting video mode...
Set video mode...
Triplebuffer not available
Loading Quest...

Decrypting ...error.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting ...error.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting ...error.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting ...error.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting...error.
Loading Quest...

Decrypting ...error.
Armageddon Games web site: http://www.armageddongames.com
Zelda Classic web site: http://www.zeldaclassic.com

I HEART DOTS...
05-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Somebody Help Me?.......!!! I Forgot To Say That I Had Xp............

koopa
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM
is there any way i can move my save file to another version? i've got a savegame in 2.10 and can i just copy the .sav file into a zc 1.90 directory on another computer?

koopa
05-14-2005, 02:03 PM
for you I HEART DOTS: you need to be able to write into the root directory of whatever drive you're playing on. so if you installed into c:\zelda you need to have write access to c:\ .
either play as administrator or try this hack:
start->run, type
SUBST K: your zc folder
(you can pull your folder from explorer into the run box)
wait 5sec. then open my computer. see the new drive k:? double click and enjoy !

Rob777
05-14-2005, 02:26 PM
First of all, I would like to thank everyone who was involved with creating this program and providing it to all of us. This is awesome. I just started messing with the tutoral. The one question I have is about the music. Is there any way to turn up the volume for the overworld music. All of my sound effects are loud, but the music is very low in the background. When I turn up my speakers, I can hear the music better, but then the sound effects are extremely loud. Sorry if that is a dumb question, but if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Rakki
05-14-2005, 11:52 PM
That's a 2.10 bug, that the music playes extremely quiet, and the sound is pretty loud. They've fixed it in the private betas.

Rakki
05-14-2005, 11:52 PM
That's a 2.10 bug, that the music playes extremely quiet, and the sound is pretty loud. They've fixed it in the private betas.

dekuscrub
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
hey when ever i download a zelda game off this, it keeps saying the parameter is wrong or something

what do i do?

dekuscrub
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
hey when ever i download a zelda game off this, it keeps saying the parameter is wrong or something

what do i do?

nothing
06-01-2005, 12:00 AM
i dont know how to make my own quest or map :scared:
what do i do??? :odd:

I love the improved version of zc :D

nothing
06-01-2005, 12:13 AM
for deku scrub

e- mail the eckels person and find out :)

punkonjunk1024
06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Could anyone give me information on how to run Zelda-w.exe and Zquest-w.exe windowed? -w in the target line doesn't work.

EDIT-
It's -windowed. Duh.

Corey103
06-05-2005, 11:28 AM
It Rocks So Much I Downloaded And Deleted My Other Version

Belgarath
06-06-2005, 04:35 AM
Nice to know you guys are still working on this after my little accident of getting it on slashdot a while back. :X. Keep it up me amigos.

RogerDG
06-06-2005, 09:08 PM
I really like ZC 2.10 It plays on all my Windows XP machines (including my laptop) I finished the first quest. When the quest restarted it should have put me at the beginning of the second quest. Link started in the wrong place on the second quest. He starts in the upper left corner of a mountain screen with a road going to the right, and a ladder going up from the bottom of the screen to the road. Unfortunately, Link is standing on the mountain rocks, and can't walk in any direction. Looking at the example second quest, the location I start in is Map 1 Screen 00. I created a new game as Zelda so I could continue playing. Other than this little problem I haven't seen anything I don't like, however, while completing the first quest I never saw a clock. I seem to remember that the clock appeared rather frequently in the 19x versions of the game on the first spider screen as you travel right from Links starting location.

Again, in case you missed it, GREAT GAME! It plays very much like the way I remember the original game playing.

Sabe
06-08-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm going nuts here. I've un&reinstalled ZC2.10 about 7 times now, and I'm still having problems. I used what was posted above to fix the bomb/candle problem, and that didn't work. Then, on my last, and subsiquent reinstalls, the 2.10 version of the game isn't even there! I rebooted my comp, run my anti virus, and everything else I could think of to fix the problem, and it just won't come back! Do you have any other ideas?

merder
06-20-2005, 07:19 AM
when i trie to start 2.10w the game immedeatly crashes. so i cant play any qeust or start one couse zqeust also crashes :(
i tried using the windowed command line but it still crashes.
i don't know if it is an bug or tech problem so i posted it in this thread.

possessed_fairy
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I used what was posted above to fix the bomb/candle problem, and that didn't work.

Hmm...Candle problem? I know I cannot get my candle to work in the game, but I could not find a post about the candle :odd: Can someone help? Thanks!

Oh yeah, and it's causing me to have problems in level 5 in the original quest with the darkened rooms...I tried my best to walk around blindly, but only made it to the room with the door needed to be opened with the master key/room above with the map (that I cannot get to...) I looked at a walkthrough and it didn't help...gah :scared:

Matt Alan
06-22-2005, 09:03 PM
^^ First, I'd like to thank the creators for such a wonderful way to spend time. I've spent many fun-filled hours playing with 2.10 on my Windows 2000 home computer, but when I tried to install it onto my laptop, I run into problems.

My laptop is:

Averatec
3200 Series
Mobile AMD Sempron
Processor 2800+
1.60GHz, 480 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension
512 MB DDR, 80 GB HD

and its an XP machine. When I try to run the two programs, Windows wants to send an error report, but won't say why.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

^^ Thanks.

punkonjunk1024
06-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Make sure you downloaded all of the files, I missed the alegro files and the windows version always freaked out on me. I remember reading elsewhere in this thread, (maybe) Someone else having problems with ZC on a laptop, see how they fixed it.
If all else fails, try the DOS version. Essentially the exact same thing.

Matt Alan
06-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Make sure you downloaded all of the files, I missed the alegro files and the windows version always freaked out on me. I remember reading elsewhere in this thread, (maybe) Someone else having problems with ZC on a laptop, see how they fixed it.
If all else fails, try the DOS version. Essentially the exact same thing.

Alright, so the DOS version worked...but in the editor, my screen's way too big. I can't see all of the editor cus' it goes off screen. o_o; And I don't see an option of adjusting it.

My resolution is maxed out at 1024x768.

x_x; I'm really sorry.

punkonjunk1024
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Hm. Try putting -windowed in the command line.
Create a shortcut on your desktop to ZC/ ZQ.
Right click the shortcut, go to properties. Next to the word Target: is an input field thing - Click it, hit the "end" key, type a space, then - windowed. It must be outside the quotes, and stuff.

I'm pretty sure that works with teh dos version.

Matt Alan
06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I never saw a "Target", unless I just totally missinterpreted what you meant.

Any chance we could carry this conversation on private IM?

AIM: MidoriSaber

Lyco@n
06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't mean to be a pain, but when I tried to run Zquest, I got a "Decryption error" message and had to use windows task manager to exit. How do I get rid of it. :banghead:

imported_Dark_link
07-03-2005, 01:20 AM
I pretty much got Zc a couple days again, then made a file for this. The program is like so kool. Well its the first version i used. It practaly been my dream to basicaly make my own Zelda. I see a bright future for Zelda Classic. keep up the good work

Arjak
07-10-2005, 11:20 PM
...however, while completing the first quest I never saw a clock.
I noticed this too. What happened to that clock? :odd:

Marc2020
07-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Just dl the new version to play the V2.10 Test remake, but when I collect the bombs or buy them they dont appear in my inventory.
Any ideas why?

ShadowTiger
07-13-2005, 04:09 PM
There's a chance that you have a maximum bomb capacity of Zero. But if it's the test quest, I'm not sure why that would happen, since the default "newfirst.qst" file, or 210test.qst has a default equal to what the original game had, which was eight. Odd.

Did you modify the quest file at all before playing it?

Rakki
07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
BH, the 210test quest, for some reason, has maximum bombs set to 0, and the candle is set to use magic, though you don't have any magic power.

But anyway, all you have to do, Marc, is open 210test.qst in ZQuest, then go to "Quest -> Init Data" and find bombs and magic on the tabs, and set the maximum for both to 8. Set the starting magic to 8 as well, then go save the quest, and you'll be able to play through it.

Krew9
07-19-2005, 03:34 PM
u suck
u really suck.
u suck so bad that when my grandma see's u, she says " u suck"

gothika
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
BH, the 210test quest, for some reason, has maximum bombs set to 0, and the candle is set to use magic, though you don't have any magic power.

But anyway, all you have to do, Marc, is open 210test.qst in ZQuest, then go to "Quest -> Init Data" and find bombs and magic on the tabs, and set the maximum for both to 8. Set the starting magic to 8 as well, then go save the quest, and you'll be able to play through it.

I dont get you try putting some links to other web pages here and try to explain it better.

VEL
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
u suck
u really suck.
u suck so bad that when my grandma see's u, she says " u suck"

Flaming and spamming are against the rules, (http://armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=78500) so please don't do it.

Chronic Smoker
07-22-2005, 03:29 AM

I have followed your instructions exactly and have even repeated them. I still see no change what so ever. What else could possibly be wrong and how can I fix whatever is wrong? Reply A.S.A.P.

F.Y.I.

My computer runs with Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

mikepjr2
07-22-2005, 08:43 PM
I do not know if this has been mentioned or not, and i do not want to look at every post to see if it has been mentioned.

When I'm editing tiles Zelda classic 2.10 just shuts off and goes back to windows, and then it says send an error report.

You know what message I'm talking about, anyhow, yeah it has that message asking if id like to send an error report to Microsoft.

Oh, and I'm using XP.

The only time it dose not do it is when i have it out of full screen.

As in it is windowed.

But then i can not see what i am doing.

Also, during game play dose Zelda classic have any kind of filter feature?

I'm just a little sick of the pixselation.

It just looks horrible, and emulators have special visual filters, so i was hoping Zelda classic had some to that i may not have known about

xDragoNGameRx
07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
I have problems to.

1. I have Sound effects but no background noise
2.whenever i play a dungeon and exit the whole game when i go back to the dungeon the rooms it shows when u go to inventory are gone.
(yes i saved before i exited)
3.if i ever minimize it or i open a window over it (or when the blue is replaced with gray in the top bar if u know what im talking about)

Otherwise PERFECT!!!!

Zelly
07-26-2005, 04:19 PM
This version of zelda is great
Will it play !90 quests
I tried the search for this question and it wouldnt let me search

Yoshi348
07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
1.90, you mean? Not very well... there's a compatibility error which changes around some enemies; most fatally, Bubbles become big circle Patras, which can often make the quest unbeatable. It sounds like they're going to fix that in the next version, tho.

It CAN play 1.92+ quests... sometimes. Usually there's no problem, but sometimes some things just screw up. Some purists insist you use the version it was designed for; of course, sometimes some people are just warning you that there actually ARE problems.

Oh, and MIDIs might sound different than in earlier versions due to the new drivers(?), but hey, that's MIDIs for you...

DJ 18 1990
08-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Can I open and use a DAT file?
And how? :confuse2:

DJ 18 1990
08-02-2005, 08:15 PM
What is a grabber file? And where can I download it?

DJ 18 1990
08-05-2005, 12:02 AM
How do you use the sound FX files on ZQuest 2.10 anyhow?
:confused:

LOOK AT THESE AND GO HA HA HA!!!!> :banghead: :mad2: :scared: :odd: :badrazz: :blah:

Valientlink
08-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I always thought 1.90 was the best but 2.10 is!
Look at mine hahaha! :tongue: :googly: :eek: :sonar: :cry: :naughty: :angry: :banghead: :mad2: :badrazz: :smoking: :shocking: :lol: :sleep: :clap: :bouncy: :mega: :love: :drool: :sb: :laughing: :naughty: Um did I just break the rules? :scared:

CJC
08-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Could a moderator please compress that triple-post if they have the time?

Valientlink, technically expressing your opinion is okay, but it's on the verge of going off-topic and the emoticons aren't helping your case. Vel placed a link to the rules further up on the page, so just take a little time to read them.
Personally, my favorite version was 1.92 beta 182, probably because it was the longest standing stable version before the new release.

As for you DJ, you shouldn't post again until someone else has posted a reply. There's an edit button should you want to add to your post.
I don't know what this dat file is that you are talking about, but the grabber is used in conjunction with sfx files to create a unique sound set for Zelda Classic. This is by folder, so the file named zelda.sfx is what the program will draw its sounds from. It's always a good idea to create a backup copy of this sfx file before playing with the grabber. Grabber uses WAV files of your choosing to replace the original 8-bit sounds, but as far as I know you can't add new sound effects. You should be able to find a download link for grabber 2.10 somewhere on this site.

annnot
08-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get zelda to work in windows xp. Whenever I try to start it, it says zelda.exe has cause a error and needs to close. I downloaded the Zelda Classic 2.10 for dummys. Thanks

Valientlink
09-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I cant's say I didn't hate 2.10. Shoot sorry for that double post How did that happen.

Valientlink
09-16-2005, 08:09 PM
I cant's say I didn't hate 2.10. But thanks this is genius what is the next version 2.15? :)

Lecayle
09-19-2005, 01:12 PM
OMGDFG!!!!!!!! DN, I bow before the might of your mightiness. I have had so much trouble trying to d/l this....could I request a few tips on you implement the life bar?

thechamp3
10-02-2005, 09:37 AM
[SIZE=4]when i buy them, 20 rupees disappear, but i don't get any bombs, and nothing happening when i pick them up. What do i do??

koopa
10-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Thechamp3, if you're playing 210demo or whatever it's called that's a bug in the quest. If you know about editing quests you can, it's not protected. Set max bombs to something bigger than 0.

niknok
10-07-2005, 04:16 AM
can anyone please help me to find an overworld and dungeon maps of the zc "alpha" ..when i installed the zelda classic 2.10...there was also a quest called alpha...thank you

Coach
10-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I think I found another quest w. a bomb bug. BC1st quest. The same thing is happening. I have max bombs set to 8, yet I can't pick them up or buy them

thechamp3
10-09-2005, 09:25 AM
HELP!!! i'm stuck in level-4 in the 2.10. I have tried to bomb every wall, but it doesn't work. there are some kind of strange entrance or something, but i just walks straight over it.
It is 2 up 1 left 2 up 1 right and 1 up.

ShadowTiger
10-09-2005, 10:40 AM
That Odd little entrance leads to the Boss Key. The reason it doesn't work is because half of it is a partially unwalkable cave combo, while the other half is the same thing, just NOT a cave combo. If you want to fix it, open up the quest, go to that screen, right-click on both of those combos, and set the one which isn't a cave combo to a Cave style combo.

Then ... er ... save the quest. :D

thechamp3
10-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Ok. but how do i do that?????? is it under "Edit" "DMaps" and "lvl 4"???????

thechamp3
10-09-2005, 12:11 PM
That Odd little entrance leads to the Boss Key. The reason it doesn't work is because half of it is a partially unwalkable cave combo, while the other half is the same thing, just NOT a cave combo. If you want to fix it, open up the quest, go to that screen, right-click on both of those combos, and set the one which isn't a cave combo to a Cave style combo.

Then ... er ... save the quest. :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, but how do i do that?? is it under "Quest" "DMaps" and "Lvl-4"?????????+

ShadowTiger
10-09-2005, 05:00 PM
.. Oh, silly me. lol. It's on Level 4, right? Look around the map in the lower left corner of ZQuest, (Using period and comma to switch maps.) until you see the screen in question. It's not in the Dmap Editor. The Dmap editor contains information for what Level 4 (Or any level/area, really.) would look like in the game, rather than on the map you see in the main screen of ZQuest.

So once you see that screen in ZQuest, you can follow my directions above; should fix the problem. (Though frankly, I'm honestly quite surprised that nobody has fixed the problem yet since this problem has been around since at least Beta 182. XD )

thechamp3
10-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah! that did it! thanks a lot :D

sinofhell
10-14-2005, 12:48 PM
ok i'm really new to zc but tell me if i can load a Quest from a older version

thechamp3
10-15-2005, 12:16 PM
hi again! i need help with lvl 9 in the 2.10 edition. i can't find a way into the boss key. and i don't know how to kill those white ghosts!?

lilinkinpk1
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
i need help..i downloaded Zelda Classic 2.10 and ive gotten pretty far but i still cant figure out how to get to level 1. i started the new game on alpha, which ive gotten a lot of items. i have gotten to level 1 on "1st", "BS 1st", "2.10TEST". when i go the island on alpha inside of the tree theres a little guy wo says "GO WEST TO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY". What should i do?

Link5005
10-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Does anybody know how to make games here? I don't know where to start

Link5005
10-17-2005, 05:25 PM
anybody out there heeeeeelp!

Link5005
10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
ello?

Link5005
10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
:D mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo!

Link5005
10-17-2005, 05:32 PM
please sombody help me.mooooooooo

lilinkinpk1
10-17-2005, 07:55 PM
i need help..i downloaded Zelda Classic 2.10 and ive gotten pretty far but i still cant figure out how to get to level 1. i started the new game on alpha, which ive gotten a lot of items. i have gotten to level 1 on "1st", "BS 1st", "2.10TEST". when i go the island on alpha inside of the tree theres a little guy wo says "GO WEST TO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY". What should i do?
any suggestions?

thedawn
10-18-2005, 10:13 PM
is there any available cheat codes on this zelda classic? anyone who knows?

Aegix Drakan
10-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Yes there are cheats, but they are quest specific. you will have to ask the maker of a quest for the cheat password they used. example: in the 2.10 test quest, the cheat is: zelda. but you shouldn't need to use cheats to win, if you are a good player, that is. in fact, some peole set up their code so that the only thing you can cheat with is Inta-refills for your hearts, and many people don't even allow cheats. looks like you might have to do without :D

byt
10-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Not sure if this is where this post should go, but I just downloaded this game and its unplayable for me. If I have Vsync off its too slow. If I turn it on FPS hits around 500/60. Is there any way to slow it down to its correct speed?

My PC's specs:
CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+
RAM: 1024MB
Video: ATI Radeon 9800XT
Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

phoenixspade
11-06-2005, 07:55 PM
ok i really need some help here.....

i used the installer for 2.10 and downloaded everything into a folder on my desktop. When i go to use z quest in order to create the allegro.log and get everything started, all that happens is the outline of the program will appear on my screen, flicker three times and then the microsoft error message comes up. im not quite sure what to do at all.........

koopa
11-07-2005, 11:43 AM
There is a problem in XP if you run as restricted-rights user. Apparently allegro places a temp file in the root folder of whatever drive it's running on.

Try this, it worked for me: start->run, type "subst z: " then pull your zc folder from explorer into the run box. Press enter and go to "My Computer". A new drive "z:" should appear that you can open and start zquest from there.

chis
11-10-2005, 04:02 AM
umm my window on zedla classic has turnedsmall:not to sound noobish

zeretul
11-23-2005, 06:47 PM
I am new to this forum. I would first like to say that I think it’s cool that some people took the time to make the original Zelda for the PC. Secondly, I would like to say that having read all the posts in this thread, it seems like the contributors really care.

I recently had a craving to play the original Zelda, so I went looking on the internet and found this site. I looked around, read a lot, and decided to download the version 2.10 windows installer. My problem arose when I attempted to open the game after the installation and it did not work.

I have read all the posts, and none address my specific problem. I have XP Pro (SP2); run a P4 2.4ghrtz with 1.5 GB PC3200 ram. When I try to open the file from the shortcut, my monitor goes blank (like it is not receiving a signal) and I hear audio that sound like fire crackling. If I hit ESC, the crackling stops and I hear, very faintly, the Zelda opening screen theme music.

In order to return to my desktop, I have to use: Alt+Tab; Ctrl+Alt+Del; or sometimes nothing works and I have to reset.

I also tried to use the DOS version, but I get an error about my AutoExec.NT file. I have tried to change the memory settings, as that works with some of my other DOS-based games, but not here.

Any help will be appreciated. I need my Zelda fix!

Freedom
11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
try going in to the folder and using the zelda-w exe to open it, it will probably open in full screen that way.

try changing your resolution.

try adding -windowed to the shortcut and if it works then modify the size.

here is some info I grabbed a while back on command line options

ZELDA and ZQUEST command line options
What follows is, I think, a complete list of command line options for zelda and zquest. If you know of others, please post them here. And it might be a good idea for someone to either add this to some kind of help file, or make this topic sticky.

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------common
------
-s //Disable sound
-nosound //Disable sound
-q //cause program to quit immediately

DOS MODE ONLY GRAPHICS MODES
-modex | -vesa1 | -vesa2b | -vesa2l | -vesa3

WINDOWS GRAPHICS MODES
-fullscreen [-directx [-soft | -safe]]
-windowed [-directx | -gdi]

zelda*.exe
----------
-res x y [big] //attempt to use screen resolution of x,y.
//big optionally enlarges gameplay screen to 512x448
-v0 | -v1 //vsync off / on
-fast //skip agn logo and title screen

zquest*.exe
-----------
-new //override the option to open the last edited
//quest at startup.
-large //experimental larger size windowed zquest
//expect this to vanish until it's perfected
X:\filepath\filename.qst //load filename.qst on start

----------------------------------------------------------------------

well, the way ZC is currently programmed, there are really only *two* resolutions. for the gameplay screen - 256x224 or 512x448. All a larger setting will do is make the window bigger with blank space surrounding the centered game screen. In fact this would actually cause ZC to consume more resources and run more slowly because ther screen blits would be bigger. Hopefully I'll be able to remedy this size limitation at some point. So you should either enter the command line the way I showed in the attachment, or change it to 256x224 and remove "big". Of course these resolutions aren't likely to work in fullscreen mode unless your card supports them, so you'd need to use 320x240 or 640x480 for fullscreen.

What beta are you trying this on when you get the error? At one time (not sure when it vanished) there was some kind of bug with specifying a resolution other than what was already in ag.cfg. Another way to specify the resolution is to edit ag.cfg. Look for "resx" and "resy" in there, as well as "sbig". Make sbig=1 to enable the large size. Then all you'd need on your command line is the "-windowed".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

so long as the path doesn't have spaces, the shortcut works without quotes.

Something else, there's a bug which can cause ZC crash reading the command line. This is fixed for the next beta, but for now, if you end the command line with a "-res" *without* a "big" zc will crash. For example
zelda-w.exe -res 320 240 *crashes*
zelda-w.exe -res 320 240 big *doesn't crash*
zelda-w.exe -res 320 240 -windowed *doesn't crash*

-------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it. No offense to AGN, but the flame gets really old after starting zelda for the 1000th time.

code:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------res x y [big] //attempt to use screen resolution of x,y.
//big optionally enlarges gameplay screen to 512x448--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That applies to windowed of fullscreen version. Technically, though, there are only two screen resolutions for zelda - 256x224 or 512x448. These are controlled by the "big" option. The res x,y part only really changes the size of the window, or tries to set the fullscreen mode to that resolution. You can actually put "-res 256 224 big" and only be able to see an enlarged center of the play screen. Not useful, but you can do it.

And there still isn't an option for larger ZQuest resolutions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is kinda old, but I feel I should point something out here. When making a shortcut to a Windows app in WinXP, you must enclose the shortcut in quotes and put any command-line options outside the quotes. In any other circumstance though (DOS app, not WinXP), you must not include the quotes. That's where the confusion about the quotes came from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------EDIT scaling option added 1/7/05

common
------
-s //Disable sound
-nosound //Disable sound
-q //cause program to quit immediately :shrug:

DOS MODE ONLY GRAPHICS MODES
-modex | -vesa1 | -vesa2b | -vesa2l | -vesa3

WINDOWS GRAPHICS MODES
-fullscreen [-directx [-soft | -safe]]
-windowed [-directx | -gdi]

zelda*.exe
----------
-res x y [big] //attempt to use screen resolution of x,y.
//big optionally enlarges gameplay screen to 512x448

-v0 | -v1 //vsync off / on

zquest*.exe
-----------
-new //override the option to open the last edited
//quest at startup.

-large //experimental larger size windowed zquest

X:\filepath\filename.qst //load filename.qst on start
//this must be the first argument passed to work

-scale n //"n" can be any integer, and will cause windowed ZQuest
//to scale up in size by that factor.

zeretul
11-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Cool..

After using -windowed in the command line, I was able to open the game and the quest editor. I noticed however that while I have sound effects, I don't have music. And the game window is really small.

I will try a few other cmd line options, but how do I turn on the music?

Thanks

Freedom
11-24-2005, 12:37 AM
maybe try this?

http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=87602