PDA

View Full Version : Stingy?

Monica
12-31-2004, 05:43 PM
What do y'all think about some Europeans calling American's stingy with helping with the disaster in Asia? I think it's kinda stupid, everyone is donating what they can, and it's a HUGE WORLD Disaster for crying out loud! Why are they even worried about bashing us at a time like this? I just think that the comments were really idiotic and pathetic and there was no reason for it.

goKi
12-31-2004, 05:44 PM
Never heard the comments, but down here in Australia, where it's a little closer, there are aid workers collecting donations everywhere... so they are getting quite a bit of cash to help out.

mikeron
12-31-2004, 08:35 PM
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Dec2004/n12312004_2004123102.html

Lutraphobiac
01-01-2005, 04:31 AM
That was one man who said that who happened to be from Europe. The media decided to make this some kind of huge thing, and quote it over and over.

Officials from US foreign aid agencies have said all along that once they hear of a disaster than there is an initial donation that is conservative. Then there will be more money filtered in. We are always generous. With an economy of our size an strength we should be.

Pangolin
01-01-2005, 10:20 AM
What kind of Europeans?
But it is true that the UK govt. only gave 1.1 million pounds to the cause. Of course, everyone went mad and now its 27 million, and rising. Just one newspaper alone raised over 1 million in a day.
So the UK is certainly contibuting, with about 3 new chariteis opening every day.
Not sure about what the other countries in this boring peninsula are up to though, haven't checked yet.
Note I call Europe a boring peninsula. It is.

Monica
01-01-2005, 11:48 AM
It was some man in Norway, but since it did go all over the news, I thought it'd be ok to discuss.