PDA

View Full Version : Uhh... There was a Tidle Wave

Lutraphobiac
12-31-2004, 04:21 AM
I know that people are probably deep in the holiday season, but I would think an event like this would have been mentioned.

Last I heard was that the death tole was over 119,000 and it is expected to rise. Much more will be left behind to rebuild, and miss the ones who were lost in a sudden deadly wave.

Families of victims usually look for meaning in there loved ones deaths, and maybe seek out those who have caused it. But who can they strike out at when a mear shifting in tectonic plates is to blame.

My heart goes out to the familes of the victims. Though I do not believe in God I wish the victims peace.

Pangolin
12-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah, its all over the news here in dear old Englandville.
That much already!? Wo. This morning it was 87,000! I have a friend in Borneo right now, so I'm pretty darn worried.
It was Boxing Day it happened. I was settling down to watch Sherlock Holmes, when - NEWS FLASH- and it came. Shocking.
The UK govt. spent just 1.1 million pounds on aid, before the ENTIRE country complained and now its 27 million, and rising. Not bad, considering they never listen to anything else.
Its awful though what you see in the papers. Just glad I don't go on holiday in the winter.
Makes you wonder about god though. I think if there ever was one, he is long dead. How could this happen if there was one?

Blonde799
12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Knew about the wave, didn't really feel the need to address it since it's like, all over the media channels already, and I'm sure people knew about it from others may times, it's a redundant subject. That, and it doesn't really affect me.

I wish the affected souls would rest peacefully though. They should've been given a better subtle warning.

Rijuhn
12-31-2004, 07:16 PM
Right now it says it's nearing 150,000 according to the U.N. However I was considering posting about it on AGN, but I've just really been drawn to other things than the internet this whole holiday. I'm still in a bit of shock about the whole thing, especially considering it's timing. My heart goes out to all of those who have suffered because of this devistating tsunami. I just hope that when everything is rebuilt and the families finish mourning that there will be a better system in place for early warning detection as well as stronger buildings and the like.

Slider Zero
01-01-2005, 02:07 AM
last I checked it was closer to 200k....and still going....and that's not even counting the ones lost to sea...talk about a bad time to strike....just before the end of the year....

damn..

Lutraphobiac
01-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Yea I heard 119,000 confirmed when I posted this, but most news organizations agreed that it would approach 200,000.

Oh, It doesn't matter if it is all over that news channels, for it is an important event. Also this is a forum for discussion.... But that really isn't why I posted this.

Pangolin
01-01-2005, 10:28 AM
It is certainly the worst disaster of our time now.
As we all do, I hope the dead rest peacefully, but now it is the survivors, the homeless in India and Thialand and Indonesia that we must look out for.
An the news there was a CGI description of how it happened. The wave doesn't even rise until it is a few hundred yards from the shoreline. The holiday makers didn't realise it until it was too late. Must have been horrifying.
And to think that now it is said to be 200,000 , when they firstly said it would get to 30,000...

Goat
01-01-2005, 05:01 PM
God does indeed seem to be pretty pissed at us this year. First the hurricanes in Florida, then the Mt St Helens shit, the reelection of George W, and now the Tsunami. Its gods way of saying not to fuck with him

punkonjunk1024
01-01-2005, 05:43 PM
the reelection of George W, lol

Ah, has anyone seen "the day after tomarrow"? we could attribute it all to ultra fast ice age approaching, marked by unrelated natural disasters...
/misplaced sarcasm

Pangolin
01-01-2005, 06:47 PM
What is a Tomarrow, PoJ? Sounds tasty. Anyway, I agree, I was annoyed about his re-election, and I'm in the UK. Just meanbs more Blair and Bushyness.
Goat, I don't agree with you. I think that we haven't pissed god off, but that he's dead. Long, long dead.

punkonjunk1024
01-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I put it in quotes. its a terrible, terrible movie about our world reaching a new ice age in a matter of weeks.
It killed some of my braincells.

Z3r0x7
01-01-2005, 10:22 PM
yea i dunno tho

linkofzelda1
01-02-2005, 12:10 AM
yea i dunno tho

Try again?

I've been following the hurricane thing pretty closely. My friend has some family over there that he hasn't heard from yet, and he's getting a little bit worried. I hope they are okay.