PDA

View Full Version : General DS range question.

phattonez
12-29-2004, 03:09 AM
I just got a DS today, and I tried to use Pictochat. The problem is that no one was there. So, what is the range for this feature, do the people have to be in the same room or can they be across the street or further?

vegeta1215
12-29-2004, 01:08 PM
The official Nintendo DS site says the wireless feature (ie playing multiplayer games without link cables) ranges from 30-100 feet. But yeah...there has to be someone in range for you chat with anybody.

Fiyerstorm
12-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Whle we're on this topic...

That whole thing about the DS picking up the wirelessness from a wireless router....is that only available if the game makes the DS detect a signal or is it a feature available universally?

Feasul
12-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Plus it can link to any wifi router to increase the range, and if said router is hooked up to the internet then the range is practically anywhere.
EDIT to above post: I'm pretty sure that's just a feature of the DS itself, so it'll work for any game.

vegeta1215
12-30-2004, 12:05 AM
The ability to connect to a wifi hot spot is built into the hardware, but the software (games) have to be programmed to use that feature. As far as I know, no games have done so yet. It's a pretty new piece of hardware, give the developers time, geesh!

http://www.nintendods.com

MottZilla
12-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Try a mall or game type store that lets people hang out if you wanna try out that wireless DS stuff.

By the way, is it just me or is the DS battery life alot less than the GBA SP? Maybe I played a hell of alot but I've already had to recharge my battery once after the initial charge. o.O Anyone know off hand what the official battery life supposively is?

Vagla
12-30-2004, 03:23 AM
I believe it's supposed to be 8-10 hours, but I could be wrong. There also isn't much battery life left after the light turns red, so don't play it for too long after that.

As for the range, I've heard from people that they've managed up to 70 yards in Pictochat, but the recommended distance is around 30 feet, heh.

LinktheMaster
12-30-2004, 11:30 AM
My charge has lasted about 8 hours. I haven't noticed much difference my SP. It is a bit shorter than the SP, but not too much. :shrug:
About multiplayer, I have no one to play with until school starts and if I decide to bring it to school.

Grasshopper
12-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Try a mall or game type store that lets people hang out if you wanna try out that wireless DS stuff.

Nah, doesn't work. I think I scared people off, because it wasn't just them two talking anymore. I popped in and said "Hi", and they all scattered. :laughing:

By the way, is it just me or is the DS battery life alot less than the GBA SP?

I agree. I know its shorter, but dang. Time passed by on that awfully fast. I turned the light off on it to make it last longer, but then its almost impossible to see. The SP you can see when the light is off, this thing is incredibly dark with no light.

EWild
12-30-2004, 01:03 PM
The initial charge is never fully charged. So after you gully charge the battery for the first time, see how long it lasts then.