PDA

View Full Version : AlphaDawg's tutorial - setting the tile warp

SarahJane
12-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Ok, here's the thing...

Since I played a couple of quests (and actually finishing some!), I decided to build my own. I then went to AlphaDawg's tutorial to try to understand Zquest (http://www.casadealphadawg.com/zc/zqtutorial/). On step 8 (setting the tile warp), he says:

A cave tile is just one of a group of tiles known as "warp tiles." Whenever Link steps on one of these tiles, he will be transported to another location. We must now designate where Link will be transported when he steps on one of the cave tiles on this screen.
Click Data -> Tile Warp. Enter "80" (the cave screen) for "Screen." Leave everything else alone. Click OK.

I can't write any number as Screen!!! I tried with both the 183 and 184 beta versions, with the keyboard and the number pad, anything! It simply doesn't work... (the arrows on the keyboard change lines though)

Can somebody tell be what's wrong? Am I doing something I shouldn't?!? (I'm new at quest making, so please be gentle! ;) )

Thanks!

Freedom
12-23-2004, 03:17 PM
click to the right of where the number goes, and hit backspace, then fill in your number

SarahJane
12-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Duh! I think I tried everything (writing numbers with the keyboard, the numberpad or whatever it's called, banging my head on the screen, slashing the computer with my new found sword, etc.)... Nothing seemed to work! Thanks a lot!!! :) (Man, I'm making Zelda jokes now!!! Looks like I'm playing too much...)

Another thing...

I'm using the Pure tileset. I changed Sprites, but Link doesn't appear on the screen when I try out my quest (there are actually little Links in the top left corner and the screen is brown). What am I missing? (I'm pretty sure this one isn't answered in the tutorial)

Freedom
12-23-2004, 09:07 PM
set up the dmap and the green and blue positioning squares :)

SarahJane
12-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks, it worked! (I also thought you could start a quest in another DMap) **trying really hard to understand the basics**

I'm having trouble with CSets and Pallettes now... Is this ever gonna end? ;)

Freedom
12-24-2004, 02:44 PM
In my sig under my quests and info link I put a page togeter that goes in to palettes a bit, it's down at the bottom of the page :)

virenwarrior
12-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Alphadawg's tutorial was written for version 1.90, so not everything is covered...

SarahJane
12-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks Freedom, I'll go check it out.

Virenwarrior, I noticed that... Do you know if there's another tutorial that teaches these things? Idontknow's tutorial is a little too much for me right now... (I need something a little more basic, but a little less than AlphaDawg's tutorial)

Also, I need help with these questions:
1) AlphaDawg recommends never to draw doors yourself, to always use the tools menu. I did that, but when I try out my quest, the door looks centered, but Link enters the rooms just a little to the left (he doesn't get stuck in the wall though). I only have to go a little right through the door, and it's ok. What can I do to solve this problem?
2) I want to create a house with 2 doors (one in the bottom, from where you enter, and on in the top, to go in the next room). When I click on tile warp, it's only giving me one choice as to which direction Link will go if he exits the room.
Example:
On screen 77, tile warp: Link goes to Screen 80.
On screen 80, tile warp: Link goes to Screen 81.
On screen 81, tile warp: Link goes to Screen 80.
But it doesn't work!!!
What it does when I try out my quest:
Link enters the house on screen 77, he's now on screen 80.
On screen 80, he enters the door that leads to screen 81, but ends up in screen 77!!!
I don't understand what I do wrong. Can somebody help me with that?

Oh, and another thing...
3) How do you make Link slash his sword, instead of just stabbing it? Is it a combo, or an option somewhere?

Thanks again! (and Merry Christmas to all!)

Freedom
12-25-2004, 09:59 PM
whew, that's a whole lot of typing to answer all of that.
There are links to 4 tutorials on my page :)

all that tile warping from 77 to 80 to 81....
you don't want to do it that way, set up new rooms on a map for your shops, caves etc and just tilewarp to them with a dmap made for them

The Slash is set in Init data if you want to start with it, or you can have a room give it to link.

Link enters a little to the left in the cave (81 I think) room, but if you do as I said above and make rooms on a map it will work because you set the green square.

I draw all my doors in because I use cave dmaps instead of dungeon dmaps, I don't know why Alphadawg would say to never do it that way, I guess because it was the 190 he did the tutorial for and freeform dungeons weren't available then.

SarahJane
12-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Thank you so much, Freedom! That was very nice of you!!! :)
I know I ask a lot of questions, but I prefer keeping them in mind and asking them all at once, instead of writing a new post everytime. By the way, Link doesn't enter in the left only in screen 81, it's doing that in all the rooms I want him to enter. I didn't try to make a dungeon yet, neither have I experienced other DMaps.

I'll try that in the next few days, and tell you all about it afterwards. Thanks again!

Freedom
12-26-2004, 04:30 AM
ok...
Dmaps are the real core to making Zelda Classic work.
Every time you warp, you warp from one dmap to another.
You can have 50 dmaps to a map if you choose to.
everytime you warp you should set the green and blue positioning squares.
When you warp into a dungeon, you do a tile warp enter/exit in and a side warp enter/exit out.
When going in, it sets link on the green square, but it's a good idea to set the blue too.
You center the green square right next to the edge of the screen, centered on the door, and the blue I always set just inside the room in front of the door.

The doorway in the screen 81 is off center, I guess because it was in the original so it's been left that way.

SarahJane
12-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi again,

You see, I thought that you could only set one green square for the whole level (or for one DMap, for that matter), to be Link's starting point if he dies. Thanks for the exit in and exit out explanation, that will surely help me!

I was also wondering... I'm currently using the tileset .qst file I downloaded. The person who created the .qst file set up a green square on a different screen than I want Link to start up in. I also set one green square on the screen I want Link to start in. But Link always starts in the wrong screen (the one that was set up before)! I tried to remove the green square in that particular screen (by clicking on it for example), but it doesn't work. How do you do it?

What do you mean, when you say that it was in the original, so it's been left that way? If it was, how come I seem to be the only one to whom it's happening?

Thanks again!

P.S.: That was a little complicated for me to explain, since English is my 2nd language. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say! If it's too confusing, just tell me and I'll explain it in other words... :)

Freedom
12-28-2004, 02:14 PM
That's what I was explaining above.
The dmaps and maps aren't the same thing.
The dmaps give the maps information, like what screen to warp to, what color it should be, what music should play etc.
You can place the green and blue warp squares on every screen on the map if you want to, but the program is going to look where you last used a enterance/exit warp or a side warp to place link on that screen, or starting out it's going to send link to the screen number on the first dmap.
So when you warp to a dmap you set the screen number on that dmap, and the dmap sends link to the screen and map specified.

Like I said, when you warp, you warp from one dmap to another, and that dmap tells the program what map and screen to send link to, what color, what music etc.
:)

What do you mean, when you say that it was in the original, so it's been left that way? If it was, how come I seem to be the only one to whom it's happening?

It's happened to everybody that has tried to do it the way you are, most people don't use screen 81 any more, they make house interiors on a map and then use dmaps to send link there instead of using the old screen 81.
I use map #5 and put dozens of house interiors on it, then for each different house on the overworld they warp to one of those house interiors using their own dmap to set different colors, music, house names, and room functions, like learn slash, or shop, or bomb upgrade.

Phazite
12-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Also to set up what screen Link starts on you use Dmaps. Continue
is the screen Link starts on. Dmaps are everything in ZeldaClassic.