PDA

View Full Version : snes -> gba

Gerudo
12-22-2004, 01:41 AM
you know what i REALLY hate about the snes -> gba conversions? the damn music quality. i mean, you have this supposedly superior system in your hands, but can't replicate the same sound for those snes games? please. i'd have much rather played Super Mario World with the same snes music from 1991.

dont get me wrong, all the new sound add-ons (wahoo! yippee! lets-a go!) are ok, but the music just sucks. as far as i can tell, they managed to keep the snes sounding music for Yoshi's Island and LTTP (thank god), but for seemingly none of the other gba conversions...

ehh, i guess i'm just a purist or something... add new features, but keep it the same... =/

MottZilla
12-22-2004, 02:05 AM
Apparently you didn't get the memo, GBA's sound hardware is non existant, it's all the main CPU. The SNES had dedicated sound hardware (SPC700) which was really quite nice. The GBA is mainly better than the SNES in terms of processing power and memory. It has better graphics hardware although inferior resolution. Give GBA a 256x224 resolution and a dedicated sound chip and you'll have your SNES game capable hardware.

Gerudo
12-22-2004, 08:45 AM
hah, i knew i was missing something... my bad (probably why this topic hasnt garnered any replies)

thanks mott -.-'

vegeta1215
12-22-2004, 05:34 PM
The LTTP port was pretty good sound wise, with the exception of some sound effects like the one that plays when you use the Magic Mirror to warp from the Dark World to the Light World.

I was thinking about picking up DK Country for the GBA. I originally had it for the SNES and loved it. The music was one of the best things about the game, and gave it a very unique feel - but I've heard the music in the GBA port isn't that great :(

Anyone know if the DS has better sound capabilities than the GBA?

Dart Zaidyer
12-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Yep, because it has no dedicated sound APU, GBA music only sounds good when it's specifically written for the GBA. No SNES port has ever gotten it right thus far as a result. Even LttP's soundtrack is radically different in many places. (but not all.)

I'm thinking the DS has more advanced sound ability than the GBA... It would have to in order to handle a game like Mario 64.

MottZilla
12-23-2004, 02:44 AM
Not true, the N64 was also CPU driven sound.