PDA

View Full Version : THE DS and wireless router capabilities... wtf???

punkonjunk1024
12-19-2004, 07:45 PM
OK, so, how do I set this up? I got a close friend of mine a DS and mario 64 DS for christmas, and he already got a wireless router in anticipation, so now I need one, and instructions on how to get these to funtion together... So, after I have one, can someone explain how I would go about setting it up?

vegeta1215
12-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Your friend bought a wireless router cause he was hoping to play Mario 64 DS with you over the net? ::shakes head::

The DS hardware has the capability to use a wireless connection to the internet to let you play against friends in other parts of the country (or world), but you can't use this feature yet. It will probably be a while before they implement this feature in a game. Your friend really should've done some more research before purchasing that router. (it sounds like he bought it soley for this)

Right now, you can just played multiplayer with out wires (no link cables) if you are in the same room.

MottZilla
12-20-2004, 03:14 AM
Actually, punkonjunk, while vegeta is right, there are also people working on "tunneling" software which at some point may allow you to use your wireless routers/hubs to tunnel through the internet to play with another DS somewhere else in the world. But that won't be soon, nor nessisarily fast/lag free.

Sylvan_Wizard
12-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Team XLink claims to have successfully tunneled PictoChat and Metroid already.

punkonjunk1024
12-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Well, he got it more for the capability to do so, when better games come out... Namely, Golden eye DS. :)
To my knowledge, he didn't buy it, he "got it"... I haven't really read into his means. :goofy: Is it, ah, legal to point me to this tunneling software?

DsS Game
12-20-2004, 04:07 PM
wireless router are actually fast these days. There only problem is that wireless connections are not reliable and would randomly cut off for no reason.

Daywalker

MottZilla
12-20-2004, 05:24 PM
Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that the air waves are polluted with signals. If you want a relieable wireless short range connection put copper wire mesh in the walls of your house. ;p

vegeta1215
12-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Actually, punkonjunk, while vegeta is right, there are also people working on "tunneling" software which at some point may allow you to use your wireless routers/hubs to tunnel through the internet to play with another DS somewhere else in the world. But that won't be soon, nor nessisarily fast/lag free.

I actually read a headline about that today on Slashdot. You can check it out here:
http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/12/20/1450235.shtml?tid=207

jman2050
12-20-2004, 10:38 PM
It helps if the router is in the same room as your wireless device, and away from most polluting devices (for me, my router is connected in my bedroom instead of the living room as it was previously. Exponentionally increased the reliability of my signal, and now I rarely lose my connection as long as I use my laptop in my bedroom)

DsS Game
12-21-2004, 02:05 AM
you and me are alike then cause I actually use both. My comp I use for gaming and my laptop for other internet stuff.

Daywalker

punkonjunk1024
12-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, I have a 56k connection. I don't know if that would garble things up...
Chances are I would be sitting right next to the router when I was using it:D

MottZilla
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
The issue then isn't the wireless it's the ping time of your ISP. Broadband "ussually" has better ping time than dial up.