PDA

View Full Version : XMP: The best upcoming mod for UT2k4

AlexMax
12-13-2004, 11:54 PM
XMP, the vastly unappriciated multiplayer mode of Unreal 2 : The Awakening, has finally been ported to UT2k4

http://www.free-monkey.com/main/

Granted, there are still a few bugs, but the game is quite playable.

So what is XMP? It's team based warfare in a vein similar to Tribes and Team Fortress. There are two teams. Each side has two 'artifiacts'. The object is to steal the other team's artifacts and return them to your own base, so you end up with all four artifacts.

That is, the game in a nutshell. However, the thing that you run through to capture the artifact, the artifact node, requires energy to register a capture, energy obtained by capturing (hacking) generators on the map. This energy also powers numerous other things that your team uses, such as deployable gun turrents, the ability to drive vehicles and use health and ammo stations, trip mines, stuff like that. When you introduce three unique and balanced classes, vehicles, stationary sentry turents, jump packs, and captureable spawn points, what you have is a fun as hell modification.

Rainman
12-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Interesting. UT2k4 is always fun to play, but I haven't had the time for much of anything game related lately. I'll look into this over the christmas break. :)

Lutraphobiac
12-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Hmm... Sounds cool. I wonder if I will be able to use this with my pirated copy of UT2004.

Pablo
12-16-2004, 08:42 PM
While we're on the topic of UT2k4 mods, could anyone point me in the direction of a good modern-day mod? Something along the lines of Counterstrike? I've heard there are some good ones, but I don't want to set out on a wild goose chase if I'm gonna go looking for one.

DsS Game
12-17-2004, 01:56 AM
there's a couple on the UT site itself. I haven't tried to play the mods though cause I'm not sure what effect will it have on the original.

Daywalker