PDA

View Full Version : Solution to Multiple Undercombos

idontknow
12-13-2004, 12:47 PM
In the combo editor,have a new place to select another combo, the undercombo.
So the combo editor would look like...
Edit Combo___________________[x]
Tile: 1200_____[ ] [ ] [ ]
Flip: 0

Cset 2:____Undercombo:____Next:
A. Frames: 0_____[ ]______ [ ]
A. Speed: 0

Type:
[None]

____[OK]_______________[Cancel]

This would make each individual combo be able to have their own "undercombo". Several ideas sprung up with this idea; for example, maybe the undercombo combo would only pop up if you selected a combo that required one (such as a bush/slash/slash->item/flower combo)

However! Any combo can be made pushable which requires an undercombo, so what if any combo could have its own selectable undercombo? If the combo has an undercombo but it never shows, then so be it, it will simply be "hidden," but if suddenly you place a push flag on the combo, then its undercombo will be shown once it is pushed!

This would be nice so you could have treasure chests, push blocks, and slashable combos all on the same screen!

ShadowTiger
12-13-2004, 04:37 PM
Hm. So to simplify your diagram, all combos would now have the ability to have their own undercombo. Interesting. Very interesting. That's a pretty good idea, though I suspect the idea will take up a larger amount of resources, or some such consequence. Still, it would be kinda nice, despite the workarounds ....

Praethus
12-13-2004, 04:58 PM
The only problem I can think of, is if you want the same combo to have different undercombos on different screens, then you'll have to create a seperate combo. Plus, there is the issue of back compatability. To fix that, you could have a screen flag, Use Screen Undercombo, where you could still set an old fashioned UC that would take precedence over individual UC's. This could be on by default on all screens in old quests.

Ganonator
12-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Just do it like the rest of us, and there is never a problem.

Place flag 16-31 over a combo that you would want to have a different undercombo for. In the secret combos dialog, place the correct undercombo to the corresponding placement on the screen.

Worried people will use the lens, or you have another trigger on that screen? No problem.

Do the same thing as above, but double tier them - have combos 16-23 or so be identical copies of the current combo.
Have tierred flags 24-31 as the actual undercombo you want.
Link slashes the first, it goes to the next combo in 1 tic, then the final because the sword is still extended. You can trigger events, or use the lens, and nobody is the wiser.

First of all, this is compatible.
Second of all, this is way faster, and I don't have to set up a second set of combos. Also faster for debugging and sorts. Why chop down a giant patch of mismatched undercombo grass when I can just use the lens and it shows up for me just fine?

ShadowTiger
12-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Hell, that's good enough to make public, Russ. (I would have copied and pasted it to a new thread, but I hadn't known about it. Go. Englighten your fans, Russel of the Northwest.)

Perhaps, if instead of adding more features, we can just find a way around them all like this. It's an ironic twist to making more things possible. :p

*b*
12-13-2004, 11:47 PM
there is but one problem with that solution, Ganonator, and that's not being able to have any other secrets on the screen, other than lock blocks, because the trigger flag would set off the rest of the secret combos

maybe it could be set up so that each of the special slash combos (grass, bush, and flowers) worked like a lock block; using the next combo in the series. that seems to work quite well

Ganonator
12-14-2004, 04:17 AM
there is but one problem with that solution, Ganonator, and that's not being able to have any other secrets on the screen, other than lock blocks, because the trigger flag would set off the rest of the secret combos

Worried people will use the lens, or you have another trigger on that screen? No problem.

Do the same thing as above, but double tier them - have combos 16-23 or so be identical copies of the current combo.
Have tierred flags 24-31 as the actual undercombo you want.
Link slashes the first, it goes to the next combo in 1 tic, then the final because the sword is still extended. You can trigger events, or use the lens, and nobody is the wiser.

(10 char limit)

Jigglysaint
12-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Well for combos such as bushes, I don't think you need to worry too much about duplicate combos, since people just put a wacked bush undernieth.

How about this idea? What if it were possible for there to be an underlayer, that is, a layer below everything. Make all slashable combos go to an empty blank tile, and below there will the tiles. For pushable blocks, perhaps somthing could be designed, like in the Oracle series, where the current tile is placed into memory, and when you push the block off the tile, it remembers what was under there. It could be a screen flag: Pushable blocks don't overwrite tiles.

But anyway, back to my idea. you just design a screen with all the undercombos, and slap it onto(or under) the screen you want. It might take up more map space, but it will ensure undercombo individuality.

You know that brings me into another idea, although a tad redundant, but nevertheless might have an application. In Zelda 3, some overworld screens and several dungeon screens have what's called an overlay. That is, when a certain even is triggered, the tiles change. Now it's easy to do that with secret combos, but what if instead of secret combos, you make a seperate screen with all the changes, and when you trigger an event, the map is permently updated(including dungeons), and the combos that are on screen 2 overwrite the combos on screen 1. Maybe it does sound redundant, but it would allow for you to add more than 31 changes to a screen, or add a perment affect to a dungeon. It could also leave the secret combo data open, so you could make a second, permenent or temp change.

Ganonator
12-14-2004, 06:53 PM
i guess that is sort of like Super Mario World, where when you beat the special area, everything changes. This could just be local though for it to work properly.